­xkcd thread

The way I read it, the countdown was just until it was available for preorder—i.e., when you could buy it. I wonder if the preorders are being used to help determine how many copies will be printed, given how far out it is.

I agree. I honestly don’t understand why any book would have such a long lead time in this day and age.

If it’s edited and ready for publishing, an ebook can be published instantly, and it doesn’t take seven months to do a print run and distribute it.

I know that in the 1930s, without computers and with manual typesetting, it usually took about two months from the time the text was finished until a book was published and distributed.

If Randall is going to spend seven months promoting this book before it even appears, that seems like a bad decision to me. It makes me less likely to buy it.

Maybe he’s trying to give it time for the McMinn County school board to ban it to help to drive up sales.

Somehow that feels like an xkcd out of time. Like something Randall would have written years ago.

Maybe he did. It would be smart to have a few comics in his back pocket in case he doesn’t make a deadline, which is bound to happen from time to time.

Reminds me of one time that I was dreaming that I was flying, and while still dreaming, designed some experiments to help determine how I was flying. For instance, monitoring where waste heat was dumped, to determine what part of my body was enabling the flight (and if there wasn’t waste heat anywhere, that would be even more interesting).

Sadly, I wasn’t able to actually conduct the experiments.

Funding is so hard to get these days.

Black Hat Guy was perfectly cast for this comic.

I can certainly relate to this one, for several reasons.

Post that one again in about 2 years and a month. Which how long it’ll be until that next eclipse.*

*Actually eclipses happen every year or two. Seven years after the last one is when the next one happens in the US.

That was pretty touching. Is there a background story there?

An explanation, and a link to most of the related comics (there are several):
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Cancer

It’s now been >11 years.

This is why I can relate to it.

That’s a reference to Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah.

But it also brings to mind Arthur Sullivan’s The Lost Chord. I doubt that Randall would know it, though.