Y2K, Apocalypse, Snafu, or Nothing?

I’m opening this post because I believe that it will create a great deal of debate although because of the current lack of a topic about this in the General Questions area I’m not sure.

P.S. What does snafu stand for?

Situation Normal, All F***ed Up.

I work for a big service company, and when it came time to check out our systems y2k status, it took over 6 month to find out what systems we had. And a great portion of that came from email sent to all employees, reading “Please list the IS tools you need to successfully do your job.”
Of course this is bad news, cause I have had to field a few tech support calls from people that didnt know what browser they were using.

Then we had to decide which systems we really really needed. I dont know how many times I heard the conversations
“Do we still have people using (system x)?”
“I’m not sure.”
“Who administates it?”
“I don’t know.”

Then we had to check to see if these systems were Y2K compliant, and many of them were not.

The company also uses thousands of vendors who may or maynot have Y2K compliant systems, and a disruption is their service means a distruption in our customer service.

So will my company be able to keep providing services after '00? The answer is a resounding “maybe”.

If not, millions, and I mean MILLIONS of people will notice Jan 01 00 and will be upset. The service we provide saves lives every day, on Jan 01, people who need it might not get it.

Worried yet?
There are hundreds of companies like us in the US alone. Most other countries arent doing jack about Y2K.

On the hopefull side, the real behaviour of a non compiant system is not known, so the resulting bugs might not even be noticed.
So we will only really really know Jan 01, who has scoffing rights and who is screwwed.

Here’s an SD Mailbag link discussing Y2K for all interested parties:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/my2k.html

About 1955, attorney Melvin Belli wrote a book titled “Ready for the Plaintiff.” At the end of one chapter he recounted the origin of people’s fears in the year A. D. 999: That, according to the 20th chapter of Revelation, the world would end. (This application is a bit faulty, but that’s a topic for another day.) Anyway, some people made serious financial investments in anticipation of this apocalyptic catastrophe. Of course, it didn’t happen. Still, litigation ensuing from this panic has continued down to the 20th Century. In the last sentence of the chapter, Belli asked, “Is it possible that the end of the world is not 1000, but 2000?”

Speaking of the end of the world, a couple of Psych students who also happened to be in my Cellular Bio/Genetics class at my summer school mentioned that Nostradomus (sp) predicted the world would end this Wednesday. Is that true? Falcon, if you were to have a failure in your utility system, when would the problems most likely occur? You mentioned that your vendors may not be Y2K compatible. Hypothetically, if your coal, natural gas, or uranium vendors wern’t Y2K compatible, when would we notice? Could your company switch to another vendor before you had supply shortages?

>Nostradomus (sp) predicted the world would
>end this Wednesday. Is that true?
I think the specific date Nosty was talking about is under some debate, but I’m reasonably certain that WWIII was supposed to take place in 2k and the end of mankind was sometime in 3k+. So, depending on what you would consider to be WWII, he may have been right, and it may be over already.

>Hypothetically, if your coal, natural gas,
>or uranium vendors wern’t Y2K compatible,
Well, power is a single point of failure, we have some provisions for powerloss, but not extended powerloss. And once the power goes down, we cant even fix our own proplems. But the chances of powerloss seem pretty slim at this point.
On the vendor side, as I said, we have thousands that supply eveything from paperclips to datawarehousing to onsite repair. A something goes bad(and that happend A LOT) a huge process is launched that brings all the resouces needed to the source of the problem and resolves it very quickly. If we get delays in the pipe because a vendor drops the ball, our customers get left without service. And when will it happen? A few problems have already come up. Fortunately people in general still have a healthy distrust in computers.

Anyway, I’m dont really beleive the world will end, but shit is not going to run real smoothly. Alarmist point out that water, food, power etc. wont be available. I dont think thats gonna happen. There might be shortages is some areas, but I dont think supplies will be unavailable.
I do expect that the markets might drop sharply before the end of the year. In Q1 '00 companies will be hampered by y2k bugs and be spending big to patch them. That could cause profits fall which would negatively effect the market. Then sooner or later people will realize that the innefficiency has caused the backlog to build up. Book-to-bill will be high and bargain hunters will send the market rocketing out of control again. Wheee.

Oh an one more thing, Y2k problems are happeing right now, and as we approach the end of the year, stuff is going to intesify, so dont expect all hell to break loose crisply at midnight in your timezone.

I was at a local gas station the other day having my car inspected and the guy that had his car next to mine had a large white sticker on his windshield that explained that where he had his car inspected they had a “glich” that made his sticker read 1963 instead of 2001 and it was due to a Y2K bug in the mainframe State computer…
I’m getting a generator as soon as I can along with cases of bottled water and plenty of candles, it might just be a very long and cold winter in New York this year…

Take Good Care, Scott E.

Here it is

Well, supposedly the good luck symbol is a swastika which is pretty eirie considering the Nato-nazi demostrations the serb put on, while NATO rained death from above.
On the otherhand the consistent with fortune telling and astrology in general, its so absurdly vague and cryptic that the chances of us finding some actual event to correlate it with is quite high.
The only thing thats not vague, is that the pope will move or die. I don’t, in my lifetime, remeber a pope that was robustly healthy, so even that seems like a rigged prediction.
BTW 7 month supposedly could mean august. Since the cold war is over, some people predicted that the spacecraft Cassinni would be the doombringer instead of a nuclear holocaust. Cassini was supposed to fly by earth in august carrying a nuclear battery contained enough plutonium to kill everyone that ever lived multiple times. Of course spacecraft containing nuclear batteries have reenterd before, and were all still here. It will shoot by earth on August 18th so we’ll see.

For more info on Nosty and other goofball predictions, check out http://prophetic.simplenet.com/

I just remembered, last December, I was working for a stock exchanged. There was a large buzz about DJ10k, which was a competer problem that would happen to brokerage houses that used electronic trading if the market ever got to 10,000. The worries were, the systems would crash and data would be corrupted, or stop loss sales would be issued, which would cause a precipitous drop in the market.

As many of you are, no doubt, aware, when the 10k level was hit, a few were unfortunate enough to experience both JACK AND SQUAT, but others were simply annoyed by the many, many occurrances of NOT A GODDAM THING.

Well, I’ll tell you, last week I was reading an insurance industry publication that had an appendix in it identifying at least four dozen lawsuits that have been filed around the country (just in the US) that in some manner involve what have been described as Y2K issues. And the consensus is that we have barely begun.

Same article had a chart in it showing that environmental/asbestos related liabilities are estimatd, when all is said and done, to carry a price tag of about $300 billion dollars. Y2K liabilities are estimated to hit One Trillion Dollars. (The Northridge Earthquake, by comparison, was somewhere in the $15 billion range, and Hurricaine Andrew in the $17 billion. Those are the two most costly catastrophes the insurance industry has faced, at least in terms of dollars.)

-Melin