Yahoo answers got something terribly wrong? (Re: Flan)

So I’m sitting here eating some lovely flan, and I started to wonder – what, exactly, is the difference between flan and creme caramel?

I decided to google it, and my first hit was from Yahoo answers. The gist of it: Flan has a flaky pastry crust and is filled with either a fruit or savory filling. Creme caramel is a baked custard.

Hmm… I’ve had flan a few times, and it’s always lacked crust, fruit, and meat. So… what, exactly, is the difference between flan and creme caramel?

I’ve never had creme caramel so I don’t know the difference but I can back you up on the flan description. My experience agrees with yours.

I have yet to see Yahoo answers get anything terribly right, and yet they’re always high in search results.

That said, according to Wikipedia (I’d never heard this either), a British flan does in fact involve a shortcrust base and a savory or sweet filling. IME, in the US, flan always refers to the Spanish version, which is a variation on a creme caramel, and involves no crust or savory stuff.

How is flan formed? How make crust flaky?

never mind

I agree. There is a great restaurant that features the cuisine of southern? Spain. When the waiter goes over the desert options I always laugh. He will list all these scrumptious options that he has totally memorized. “Tonight we feature a plate of fresh berries topped with creme frech and drizzled with a sauce made from polar bear kidney” types of descriptions. The waiter recites these fantastic deserts for what seems like 10 minutes. He finishes with, “and flan”.:wink:

Ah, so there is British flan and Spanish flan. Very different, indeed. Kind of like the difference between New England clam chowder and, say, pizza.

Yahoo Answers is a community-based answering system, with a remarkably idiotic community. The SDMB is to Yahoo Answers as The Complete Works Of Shakespeare is to YouTube comments.

roflmao:D:D:D:D:D:D

Flann is formed deep instain oven.

This is what I think of when I hear Flan and this is what I think of when I hear Creme_Caramel .

In short, Flan is served hot, Creme Caramel cold. This requires slight differences in the texture and ingredients. If you make Flan and serve it cold, the caramel will be a razor sharp shell on top of the custard. If you make creme caramel and serve it hot, it will be caramel custard soup.

ETA: Bravo, RevTim!

Apparently, Creme_Caramel is not yet a top-level domain.

Still, I live in hopes.

I am truley hungry for your lots.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++++++ WOULD READ AGAIN thx!!!

I don’t think I’ve ever had hot flan. I may have had one or two served slightly warm, but never hot. The topping (or actually bottom before its inverted) of flan remains a caramel liquid even after chilling. I, too, am curious at what the difference between flan and creme caramel are. As far as I can tell, they’re local names for basically the same foodstuff.

IIRC, someone on this board had an another nicely quotable line summing that up: “For yahoo answers, see Yahoo Answers”.

Alton Brown would agree with you: “…creme caramel - a.k.a. flan…”, and later in the same episode “Now, I guess the French thought that flan sounded too much like phlegm because they changed it to crème caramel. But, either way it’s a deliciously simple egg custard baked on top of a pool of something that when inverted turns out to be a sauce on top.”

A fruit flan is a flat-ish fruit tart. The pan is fluted and low, there is usually a custard base, and then fresh sliced fruit is arranged on top with a fruit glaze. A baked flan, Spanish-style, is a creme caramel.

Now I’m hungry.

They need to do way instain chef> who ruin thier flan. becuse these flan cant frigth back it was on the news this mroing a mother in ar who had ruin her three flan . they are taking the three flan back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the chef who lost his flan ; i am truley sorry for your lots