Yankees and Man Utd (or as if you didn't hate them enough already)

Now I will cheer for the Yankees, but I realize that they (along with Manchester U.) are despised for the fact that they can purchase the league championsip every year. So here is another reason for all you haters out there to get a bit more irritated:

quote from: http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/0206/1066062.html

Now mods, I’m sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn’t figure out where else to put it.

Personally I don’t think that Manchester United merchandise has all that great of a chance of selling over here in soccer-crazed :rolleyes: America. I don’t think that a team with the name “Yankees” has a great chance of selling in England either. Oh well, not like it’ll send either club to the poor house.

Thanks for clarifying which “football” team I should hate, just on the principle of the thing. As can be seen in the Pit lately, I don’t pay enough attention to soccer to have any likes and dislikes, and you have simplified that.

For my favorite team I guess I should go with the local team, but I can’t remember who they are. The Chicago Fire, I think.

I was watching Sky Sports News the other day (God bless digital cable) and one of the soccer players they were interviewing was wearing a Yankees hat. I can’t remember who he played for, though.

I hate the Yankees and Manchester United.

I wasn’t telling you that you were supposed to, or had to hate Manchester United. It’s just that it seems to me that a lot of soccer fans despise that club for the same reason a good deal of baseball fans don’t like the Yankees, because they have lots of money and can pay the top salaries while pricing smaller clubs out of the FA market.

You don’t THINK you did, because you are a Yankee fan. Trust me, for the rest of us the mere mention of MU in the same sentence as the Yankees is enough.

I suppose that, by tomorrow, Satan will be announced as the new owner of the Yankee-Man U partnership. And I don’t mean Miroslav Satan.

Well, it could have been worse I guess–it could have been a partnership between the Yankees and (Glasgow) Rangers. Now that would be a match made in hell.

Well put Duke, I just said the same thing on one of my Celtic lists, actually.

I don’t actually hate Man Utd, but this might be a good reason to start. Yankees … eeeeugggggh …

The Yankees will finish no higher than 3rd in the AL East.

Satan owning the partnership?

well, the truth is nearly as Bad.
Rupert Murdoch’s BSkyB, a division of News International and the company who run Sky, are trying to buy Manchester United. So your joke wasnt far off.

If United fans buy into this cynical marketing ploy well………who cares.

I’ve got my fingers crossed that my team link up with their namesakes the San Antonio Spurs Perhaps we can interest them in taking George Graham off our hands in exchange for a couple of lanky defenders.

TwistofFate…is this a new bid? I thought the DTI had ruled against his bid last time because of fears that it would harm other broadcasters.
Has the situation changed drastically? A link please.
No sign of any ABUs round here then?

They didnt rule against, just delayed proceedings. It will happen sooner or later.

Probably at the same time the seventh seal is broken :wink: