Yazzer Arafat got the Nobel peace prize?

Why would anyone give the peace price to the chairman of PLO? To me it sounds like an oxymoron

Because of the Oslo agreement.

IMHO, it was the right decision at the time.

Oh, and it’s “Yasser”.

The Nobel Peace Prize committee has always been willing to award people with a warlike past for acts leading to peace. Theodore Roosevelt was the eighth person to win the prize.

So did Obama. Neither one did anything to earn the prize. It’s a PR prize plain and simple.

Are you the one who defines the criteria for who gets the prize? No?

IIRC, Menachem Begin also got it.

Whether I like Arafat or not I can at least see why he was awarded the prize jointly with others. However, I still don’t know what Obama was awarded the prize. At least Arafat did something that seemed promising at the time.

Way not to deal with the question at all

And Kissinger. Famously prompting Tom Lehrer to resign from satire.

This is not a thread about Obama, please read the OP again please

This is a thread about Arafat as a Nobel Peace Prize recipient. A comparison of people who have also been awarded the prize is reasonable and expected. Strangely, nobody is bitching about Roosevelt being discussed.

Alfred Nobel’s will stated the Peace prize should be awarded

The prize in 1994 was awarded jointly to Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, and Yitzhak Rabin. If it was given to Arafat alone, yeah, that would be insane. The Oslo Accords were signed in 1993, so the ink was still drying when the prize was handed out. The accords were seen to be steps in the right direction and definitely fit the criteria Nobel outlined in his will.

Mentioning Roosevelt in this context suggests a passing familiarity with the history of the Peace Prize. Mentioning Obama (and no others) does not.

Well, we’re not gonna win it here, are we?

Do you know WHY Roosevelt won?

Nuking Hiroshima?

Look, Russia had already lost that war. Roosevelt was merely an intermediary for negotiations that acknowledged that fact. He didn’t deserve the Prize any more than some of the other winners have. (Albeit he probably did deserve it more than some other of some of the other winners have. Feels like a baseball Hall of Fame debate.)

There is, in fact, some reasonable debate that his actions partially led to WWII in the Orient. (Korea, the Russian evacuation of Manchuria, and so on.)

In what alternate universe did that happen?

Why did you cut the part of my post that makes it perfectly clear that I know why T.R. won the Prize, and that my first sentence was a joke?