Ye Olde Straight Dope Sandwich Shop

I don’t know the exact ingredients in this sandwich, but it is hands down the best I have ever eaten. My grandmother lives in northern NJ and we got this at a deli near where she lives. As far as I can remember the sandwich involved thinly sliced white bread, corned beef, turkey, cole slaw, and russian dressing. Man, good cole slaw on a sandwich is heaven! I must have eaten like 4 pounds of this sandwich in one sitting!

Pour a little olive oil on a plate. Lightly dip the face of Maltese bread in it. Sprinkle a little salt and a moderate amount of ground black pepper on the oiled bread. Slice up half a tomato and place it on the face of the bread. Close up the sandwich and open up your taste buds. Serve along with a variety of cheeses for some protein.

To get fancier, grill up in olive oil some veggies, such as a quarter of a red pepper, a quarter of a yellow bell pepper , a quarter of a a portobello mushroom, and and about an inch’s worth of diced shallot. Lay them into the sandwich, add on some mustard sprouts, sprinkle on a hint of rosemary and thyme, and perhaps spread the face of the bread with a thin layer of hummus-tahini.

You can make the spread easily enough by tossing a small handful of garbanzos into a blender along with small amounts of sesame paste, olive oil, pressed garlic, lemon juice, salt and ground pepper.

I dont think I would classify bacon as meat.

I’m a vegetarian, so you did not hear this from me, O.K.

My parents courted over Ben’s smoked meat sandwiches eaten in the rafters of the Montreal forum. This went on for about six years before I emerged. Needless to say, I owe my very existence to Ben’s Deli and the Montreal Canadiens.

When I came of age, my rite of passage was a summer long road trip throughout North America in search of the perfect pastrami sandwich. I sampled the best (and the worst), and finally found the perfect pastrami – Pancer’s Deli in Toronto on Bathurst between the 401 and Sheppard.

Since my discovery, I became a veggie, and gradually lost all desire for meat. Now just the thought of biting into a dead, slightly rotted cow makes me queasy. Except for Pancer’s pastrami, for which I still have cravings.

While puttering around the kitchen the other day I rediscovered a great combo:[ul][li]Egg salad[/li][li]Lettuce[/li][li]Tomato[/li][li]Thin sliced cucumber[/li]Cheese (optional)[/ul]I don’t know why but the addition of very thinly sliced cucumber on a sandwich instantly gives it a European flair.

A variety.

One that’s best made by my Dad:

Take two slices ordinary white bread (I like Home Pride Buttered Top), toast. Meanwhile, over medium heat, carefully fry one or two eggs over easy in butter (sunny side up kinda explode in your mouth - but I still like the yolk slightly runny). Add lots of black pepper, salt. Take the toast and slather with Miracle Whip (the only time I like Miracle Whip anymore). Lay on a few slices of iceberg “lettuce” if you have 'em.

One that’s best only once in a very great while:

Take two slices ordinary white bread. Butter both slices. To one, slather on jelly (something basic like grape or strawberry). On the other - two slices of orange plastic (meaning Kraft American).

One that’s best anytime:

Take some good, aggressive deli rye, or maybe a nice multigrain bread. On one slice, mayo (light - but never nonfat - mayo is my favorite). On the other, Gulden’s brown mustard. Add several slices of very rare roast beef (Boar’s Head brand is the reliable one around here). Add black pepper, fresh ground. Now, the real part: Tiger Sauce! (It’s a mild horseradish). Umumumumumumumummmmmmmmmmmm.

On cream-cheese and bagels: they’re really not complete without some good smoked salmon, whether northwest style, Nova lox, Norwegian, Scottish, or gravlax. And then you need onion and maybe some capers.
On bacon:

I’ve never been to Britain, but the best “regular-style” bacon I’ve had comes from Canada. No, I don’t mean Canadian bacon (that’s really ham, isn’t it?) but good, flavorful, not-to-fatty thick-cut bacon. When my family lived in seattle we would get it from BC. Also, in many places there are often smaller, local farms that make good bacon. Might as well support them - anything to keep them afloat rather than some megapiggery making lakes of disease-causing pig shit.

Okay, here are the steps to the perfect sandwich:

-Drive to local Togo’s

-Order Egg Salad Sandwich on wheat with provolone cheese

-Light Mayo, Lettuce, light onion, tomato and vinegar Only. None of that other crap.

-Unwrap and enjoy. mmmm…

One of my favourites from childhood:

Take two slices of bread, multi-grain is best but sourdough is good too. Put peanut butter on one side and marmalade on the other. Slice a banana onto it. Close and enjoy.

A more recent one, not quite a Denver:

Cut or tear thin-sliced salami and fry until crisp. Drain the fat. Add a sliced green onion and a chopped jalapeno and fry until the onion is transparent. Pour in beaten eggs (two or three, to taste). Let them set a bit, then lift them up and tilt the pan so the uncooked egg runs underneath. When there’s no more liquid egg, put thin-sliced cheese on top (cheddar is best, but whatever), cover and take off the heat. Serve on toast.

Amatures.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Review_Writeup.asp?Review_ID=291

That’s all you need. Although, I take mine with some BBQ sauce. And none of that sweet “Barbecue” crap, either. Real spicy stuff.

Perfect post-Thanksgiving sandwiches…

Turkey on toasted whole wheat bread,shredded lettuce,alfafa sprouts and roasted garlic mustard.

Turkey salad…shredded turkey,chopped celery,miracle whip to taste and the secret ingredient-appox a tbsp of cranberry sauce. This is best on untoasted white or wheat bread.

When I’ve particularly good calorie-wise I treat myself to a chicken cheddarmelt @ a local diner…chicken,bacon and melted cheddar cheese on toasted sourdough. Heart attack on a bun but so good.

Continuing with a Danish theme…

A chocolate sandwich. Yes, that’s right, chocolate!

[li]Spread lots of butter on white bread[/li]
[li]Apply thin wafers of Danish sandwich chocolate*[/li]
[li]Top with more buttered bread[/li]
[li]Scoff like mad with a big glass of cold milk[/li]
Chocolate chips may be substituted but are not the same. Bananas are also allowed but change things entirely.

• Yes, the Danes make special wafers of chocolate especially for use in sandwiches. Maybe Spiny Norman or Soda will step in and back me up on this.

[Groucho Marx]

Go! And darken MY hallowed towels no more!

[/Groucho Marx]

[sub]THEY DON’T EVEN USE REAL MAYONNAISE FER CRISSAKE![/SUB]

• an oyster po’ boy (from some forgotten little place in Nawlins; it was a hole in the wall): small baguette w/ top sliced off and most of the crumb removed; inside mopped w/ good mayo, a spritz of lemon and a few good jolts of Tabasco; then hot oysters, fried in cornmeal, were popped inside. The top was put back on, the whole shootin’ match squished down a bit and it tasted like pure heaven.

• another vote for the classic BLT; best made at home w/ my own tomatoes. When the garden tomatoes “come in” I splurge on the some really good bacon and a loaf of hearty bread from a local baker. Hellman’s mayo and either leaf or bibb lettuce.

• or, heck, when the tomatoes are good, forget the bacon: good bread, lightly toasted; a slice or two of provolone or pepper jack; a few tomato slices, a thin slice of onion, a drizzle of olive oil, splash of vinegar; kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Yum! 'Scuse me while I lick my elbows…

• portabello pockets: 'shrooms sauteed in olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar; onion sauteed until carmelized; salt and pepper, then everything stuffed into split pita w/ some provolone, sprouts, maybe a little lettuce.

• fish tacos; w/ avacado and a spritz of lime. Nobody around here makes these and they aren’t something I make for myself. Dang, dang, dang.

Now I’m starved.

Plain Old Grilled Cheese

Publix rye bread bought fresh that morning
2 slices of Land o Lakes yellow american cheese
Just the right amount of butter
Cooked with great attention by me and only me
If it doesn’t come out perfect it gets thrown out (I’m very picky).

Cold Cuts…Mmmm

Fresh rye bread
Deli mustard spread on both sides
Hot pastrami
Turkey breast.

PB and J

Whole wheat bread
Smooth peanut butter spread on both slices
Grape jelly in the middle.

Why do I feel like I have just gone back to first grade?

A hearty cut of real garlic bread…I mean, bread with garlic baked in, not melted butter with granulated garlic. Two thick slabs of liverwurst, a slice or two or provolone, a thick slice of ripe tomato, a couple slices of raw onion, a dollop of horseradish, scald-your-mouth hot mustard on the top piece of bread, mayonnaise on the bottom piece.

The best sammich I ever did eat.

The little Kosher shop down the street would have a hard time serving a BLT. But they serve a mean PLT with heaps of hot pastrami. Fan-tas-tic.

This one will make even vegans switch teams:

4 oz. thinly sliced roasted pork loin
4 oz. thinly sliced boiled ham
2 slices Swiss cheese
Split Cuban bread (or 10 inch Italian roll, split)
4 dill pickle longwise slices
Dijon mustard
Mayonaise
Melted garlic butter

Thinly spread one piece of bread with mustard, the other with mayo. Layer bread pickles, pork, cheese, ham and bread. Brush both sides of sandwich with garlic butter. Place in a plancha (Cuban sandwich press), or electric sandwich grill or waffle iron. Grill until cheese melts and bread is just crispy-chewy.

¡Muy Sabrosa!

But here goes…

There’s a hole-in-the-wall pasta/sandwich shop down on Westport in KC that makes an incredible meatball grinder. Kinda hard to eat without making a mess, but absolutely delish!

My current favorite, though, is probably the turkey club from YellowSub in Lawrence, KS. Roast turkey breast, bacon, Swiss cheese (smoked if they have it) and lettuce on a toasted loaf of fresh wheat with mayo and spicy brown mustard. Add tomatoes if you want 'em, but remember to tell the (usually) half-stoned guy that takes your order to use half the normal amount of lettuce. Otherwise, yeuchk, soggy toasted wheat bread…

Two pieces of bread, lots of cheese, lots of black olives.

Place in grill, serve with tomato ketchup. Mmmmmmm…

— G. Raven

I feel that a grilled cheese must be compressed so that it imitates a 2 dimensional object as closely as possible. And Gazoo, what’s up with the guv’ment cheese?! You couldn’t melt that crap by bombarding it with nuclear weapons. On second thought, maybe it’s a byproduct of fission…*

Well I dunno if burgers count, but I have a killer stuffed burger recipe:

1/2 lb of lean ground beef per person
onions
mushrooms
garlic
bell peppers
Cajun blackening spice that I got in New Orleans (I think it’s mostly dried peppers, cumin, and black pepper)
non-guv’ment cheese
big hamburger buns

Make 1/4 lb patties as thin as you can, stack with wax paper in between and put back in the fridge. Saute the rest of the stuff except the cheese and set aside. Bring out the meat again. Take a patty, put some cheese on it followed by some stuffing, but leave an inch or so of meat on the edge uncovered. Put a second patty on top, then carefully shape the two patties together to make a continuous burger. This is important or the burger will fall apart. Cook in a pan on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, adding more blackening spice if you like, turning frequently but carefully. This is also important, because if you try to cook one side first then the other, that side will shrink unevenly and the burger will still fall apart, despite your having made a perfect oblate sphereoid. I haven’t tried cooking these burgers on a grill, but I think they are too fragile. The burger is done about when the cheese starts leaking out of the little cracks in the burger. Serve on bun with a little mayo (there won’t be room for much else) and enjoy.