Year Zero

There is nothing in your entire post that I didn’t understand. What I reject is your insistence that when someone talks about the “next Millennium” that then couldn’t possibly be thinking about the 2000s and must be thinking incorrectly about the third millennium. While I’m sure some people make that mistake, there are plenty of people who understand the difference between ordinal and cardinal numbers.

All I’ve really asserted is that you can know whether a person is making that error without additional information. That is, I can accurately say “The new millennium started on Jan 1, 2000”. If I’m talking to someone who is pedantic on the subject, it will be better if I clarify that I’m talking about the 2000s millennium but that doesn’t mean the simple form of the statement is wrong. When the context is appropriate I would say “the century of the 1900s” if the difference is significant or if I think there is a chance of misunderstanding.

The only opposing arguement that has been offered is the assertion that you somehow know that when someone says one thing they really mean (or are thinking) another. Do you understand why that is not a convincing arguement?

A new millennium started that date. To say the new millennium strongly implies you’re counting integral millennia.

A new year started five hours ago, but the new year began 12 days ago (depending on time zone).
Powers &8^]

You said he makes a lot of errors. It would therefore make sense to open up another thread to discuss said errors. That you refuse to do so implies you were not telling the truth.

It would also make sense that, if you guys are going to duke it out, you would do so in a thread for that purpose.

Using the definite article only implies that a specific item is under discussion. The general rule would be that the listener would know which specific item or be able to figure it out.

The listener knowing is covered by my earlier comments that it is better to be specific when there is a chance of misunderstanding. Being able to figure it out would come from the context. If someone says “the new millennium started today” and it is Jan 1, 2001, I can tell from the context that they are talking about the third millennium. If it is Jan 1, 2000, I can tell from the context that they are talking about the two-thousands millennium. If it is Jan 12, 2010, I’ll have to ask them which specific millennium they are talking about.

I disagree that most uses of the phrase are so generic, but I’m obviously not going to convince you otherwise.
Powers &8^]