Yellowstone Vacation Tips

Or internationally, about the size of Cyprus or Lebanon.

My wife and I did a road trip to Chicago and back a few years ago and we spent a half day at the Crazy Horse memorial. One of the highlights of the trip for me—would recommend! We also detoured off to see the Devil’s Tower on our way back to Alberta. Also worth it to see, and just off the highway to Bozeman.

Also along Highway 90 is one of my favourite American historical sites, the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Fascinating to see the exact location of Custer’s Last Stand and, a couple miles south of that, the hilltop where Major Reno and the 2/3 of the 7th Cavalry who survived the battle dug in and held on as the Sioux Nation assaulted them for a day-and-a half. There’s even a memorial for the First Nations who fought in the battle, which was constructed in 2003. If you’re a history buff, this is a must-see.

I actually was not fully aware until today that the Little Bighorn is actually in Montana! I guess I always just thought it was part of the Black Hills, which I guess technically it is in the general neighborhood when you think of pre-whiteman geographic terms.

Really excited now that it is actually happening. Thanks to all for helping me focus.

Yep, east-south-east of Billings. The memorial to the first shot of the Little Bighorn battle is actually in front of a museum/gas station right on the highway, which is a great place to start your visit to the battlefield itself. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t aware that such a thing existed…thanks for sharing. Is it this one, by chance?

If you decide to visit Little Bighorn, it’s not that long of a trip to see Pompeys Pillar, where William Clark’s etching in the sandstone is the only remaining physical evidence of the Lewis & Clark expedition on the trail itself.

It was! I couldn’t remember the name but that was it. We liked it.

I wish they had them for interstates. Just as you drove down the interstate it would break in to whatever you were listening to “to your left you see . . .”

Or even “Ten miles south of the next exit is the House on the Rock, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.”

And petroglyphs! I’m all in! Thanks!

Keep in mind that there’s no mobile phone service in the park at all. Once you’re out of sight of West Yellowstone or Gardiner, you’ve got only your wits to advise you. The official park map is probably all you need, but we at times liked having the maps.me offline map of the region. Based on OpenStreetMap data, it was surprisingly well annotated for even roadside pullouts and toilets. The GPS on your mobile phone still works fine, but unless you’ve downloaded the map ahead of time, it will just show You Are Here as a blue dot in a featureless green rectangle.

Like most families, we did no real off-road hiking. But we brought a folding table as well as camp chairs, laid in good provisions before leaving Jackson, and enjoyed a long leisurely picnic in a scenic spot every day.

We’ve lived in Bozeman for 3 years (or 1.5 non-Covid). Lots of hiking around, although it’s pretty smokey right now. We’re middle of the pack nationally for Covid, but we’re not doing any indoor dining. Pizza Campania and the Little Star Diner are great, and both have outdoor seating. Bagelworks has really good bagels. The M trail is justifiably popular if the visibility is decent. Beehive Basin by Big Sky is beautiful (and also popular). Let me know if there’s anything you’d like to know…

We got intermittent service depending on where we were, though we didn’t check all that often. This site describes where the (small) towers are.

Will My Cell Phone Work in Yellowstone? Is There WiFi? (yellowstonepark.com)

Yeah, I think that makes sense.

Might be late about this, but I’ll say it for any trip. Get yourself a copy of Avenza Maps on your phone (the free is fine) and use the store to download the free maps from the NPS, the Forest Service, BLM, etc. The NPS ones, for instance, were versions of the map in the visitor guide but are mapped properly to GPS coordinates. As long as your phone has reliable GPS, you can open Avenza, open the map, and know where you are. Great when you’re in a national park and just want to have some idea of where you are in relation to somewhere else in the park.

If it says that, you need a better ap!

Alex Jordan designed it. FLW supposedly hated it.

Point taken!

If you are tent camping, use short tent stakes. You know, lest ye set off the supervolcano.

One thing to consider – you can visit Yellowstone in the winter.

I did this 20 years ago (an open weekend during a business trio in the area), and it was great. Much less crowds & traffic. And wildlife is more visible against the snow, and many seem to avoid the deep snow by travelling along the plowed roads. Most pats of the park are open, though some of the northern roads aren’t plowed and fill 20 feet deep with snow. We drove north as far as the roads were open, had lunch at a restaurant there, and drove back. Plus geysers, hot springs, pools all look even more interesting against a background of snowdrifts.

I hope this doesn’t sound condescending, but obey the signs. People have died or been brutally burned from breaking through the brittle crust that covers scalding water. They’re usually trying to get that critical photo that nobody cares about, or doing something stupid like trying to cook food in the hot springs. These formations are fragile and easily damaged.

Secondly, if there is wildlife nearby, do NOT get out of your car. It’s a park, but these critters can be really unpredictable and bison are ill-tempered at the best of times.

My wife and I were at Yellowstone with a couple of friends, around the same time as the OP. We walked the boardwalk loop around all of the geysers clustered near Old Faithful, and when we were coming back in, a couple of bison entered the area. Rangers immediately started funneling people away from the bison, making us keep a respectful distance.

The bison were wandering around on what looked like normal grass. They started to tussle with each other, and suddenly one of their hooves punched through the ground. A burst of steam sprayed upwards, causing the bison to jump back and shake its head, like “goddammit that hurt!”

Our friend caught the whole thing on video. If I remember next time I see him, I’ll see if I can get a copy to post somewhere and link to.

Hm, I’m not familiar with any of those. My favorite places to eat in Bozeman were Iho’s (Korean), La Parilla (burritos), Naked Noodle (pasta), and Mackenzie River Pizza. And in Manhattan, 20 minutes west on 90, Sir Scott’s Oasis Club (steaks). Are those still around?