Yes, Lady, I Get It-- You're Hostile and Anti-Social. Can I Go Now?

Today, I pulled up to an intersection to make a left turn. At that moment, a woman started walking across the street. She looked up and saw me waiting to turn and deliberately slowed her pace, giving me an insolent and challenging look as she sashayed at a snail’s pace. Refusing to be provoked, I gave her a friendly smile and began looking at the flower garden of the house to my left. When she made it to the opposite curb, she increased her speed.

Two months ago, I was going shopping with my mother. The small parking lot was packed full-- we had to wait for a spot to open. Mom saw a lady heading to her car, so she pulled up behind to wait. The woman looked at us and proceeded to dwadle. She put something in the backseat, and rearanged things back there. She opened her trunk, fiddled around in there for a few moments, then got into the car. She turned on the engine (presumably for the air because it’s hot) then applied lipstick, cleaned her glasses, and finally, running out of things to do, just sat there. It was very obvious that she was just doing it to be nasty.

I guess I’m just bewildered by people who go out of their way to antagonize complete strangers. I sort of feel sorry for them, because life must have been very cruel to them to make them want to get “revenge” on random strangers. At the same time, I’m frustrated, because I want to shout to them, “Okay, I get it. I understand. You have all the power. You’ve inconvenienced me. I admit defeat. Are you satisfied? Can I get on with my day now?”

Ugh! People!

You know, I’m sorry this happened to you, Lissa, but it’s kind of a relief to hear that someone else is totally mystified by people who behave this way. Even on a bad day, I just can’t it in my head that I should f— with someone else’s day that way. It is sad that they have such tiny, Grinch-like hearts…or minds…or whatever.

It makes me wonder about people who believe that “most people are basically good.”

I remember once, I was driving down the highway on my way home from a job interview, and I saw this guy riding a motorcycle. I like motorcycles, though I can’t drive one; my dad, my brother, and my ex had them, and I enjoyed riding with them. So, I’m looking at this bike, and the rider sees me looking, and I smile and nod, and he flips me off.

Left me wondering what his problem was, or what I did to offend him.

People who are unpleasant for no apparent reason baffle me, too.

Recently I was at the grocery, and I went over to one of the produce clerks, who was arranging a bin of lettuce. I complimented him on how especially nice the produce display looked. He glared at me and said “I hate this shitty job.”

Gosh, I’ve had a lot of rough breaks in my life, and things are getting worse, but I hope I never end up with an attitude that would lead me to respond to a compliment by making a remark like that.

When I run into folks with huge, permanent chips on their shoulders, I am reminded of that old saying: No man is completely useless. He can always serve as a bad example.

I was in a parking lot at Wal-mart. The lot was full and I was looking for a space. As I was creeping along near the center of the lot, I saw brakelights come on to my left. My front bumper was about parallel with his license plate, so I put the car in reverse to backup so that I can have the space when he left.

A large pick-up truck behind me saw my reverse lights come on and decided to be a jerk and try and prevent me from taking the space (so he could have it). As soon as I put my vehicle in reverse he closed distance so that he was tailgaiting and I couldn’t back up. I turned around to look at the driver and he SMIRKED at me! Real smug like. Aaaargh! Now the car can’t leave the space and my only option is to give-up on the space and let the pick-up have it.

Or so he thought. I didn’t have anywhere to be. I backed up the few inches left to me (you couldn’t have slipped a sheet of paper between out bumpers), shrugged to the irate lady trying to leave the space and waited. The man in the pick-up smirked again, and put his truck in park thinking I would give in. Nope. People gathered round, cars backed up, and the lady got out to yell at the Pick-up guy. Not me. It took a while, and he was irate, but I wasn’t gonna let him get away with being a jerk for the hell of it.

I’m sure that other spaces opened up in all that time, but he needed to see that being a jerk can have consequences. He’s not ALWAYS gonna get away with it. Too many people get in their cars and think that they are gods in their own little world. That the rules no longer apply to them, and that courtesy and human decency are less important than their personal convenience. F that.

I totally agree with this. “I’m having a bad day” is not an acceptable excuse for being a dick, and I have zero tolerance for someone who tries it.

The route I used to take home from work had one particularly nasty spot. The access road where I entered the highway had its own entrance lane, but you had to jump one lane over to the left pretty quickly or you would be forced to exit after only a half mile or so. During rush hour traffic this could be a very tricky maneuver, especially when your typical driver would rather slam into a wall than let you cut in front of him.

So one day, about two years ago, I was trying to negotiate this lovely stretch of road. I saw a gap in the traffic to my left, signaled, and started to move over. The driver tailing the gap saw me, but sped up in an effort to shut me out. I managed to accelerate quickly enough to make the lane change, but I was tailing about two feet behind a minivan – way too close for my comfort level. And the jerk who was now behind me sped up until he was riding my bumper, honking his horn as if I were somehow responsible for slowing him down. I was sandwiched in and praying that the driver ahead of me wouldn’t slam on his brakes.

So after about two minutes of this nonsense, the freeway widens and traffic starts to shift. The minivan moves over to the right, giving me some breathing space. Then the jerk behind me swerves over, accelerates, and cuts in front of me. Then slows down. To about 40 MPH.

I’m sure he was waiting for me to try and get around him, so that he could cut me off again. So I refused to play his game, and just stayed right behind him, smiling and waving. Finally he got bored, threw me the finger, and sped off.

I just couldn’t fathom what he was thinking. If he was in such a damned hurry, punishing me by slowing down on the freeway doesn’t make a whole lotta sense.

When people piss me off on the highway I connive with the other drivers on the road to piss them off - usually if they’re being a dick and doing something like 80 in a 50, weaving in and out of traffick without using his blinker. Then, for some reason, the other drivers and I on the road decide as one to be assholes to this asshole, and we usually pin him in - just enough that he can’t get out but enough that we couldn’t get arrested for following too close.

I know, it’s mean, but I can’t stand people who drive like that. And I always let people cut in front of me, even if I’m having a bad day.

~Tasha

I work retail, and run into my fair share of just plain rude people. Most customers are great, some are good, but you get that one out of 100 that is determined to be rude.

Who knows? I never know what’s going on in their lives to make them act that way.

Someone came in to pick up a gallon of milk, some trash bags, and a tube of toothpaste. Why do I know that? Because another customer noticed a dog in a car in the parking lot and had an absolute fit. It was a mild, low 70’s day but she had us page the other customer. After about 10 minutes, the person checked out, (having never heard the page) went to her car, and was met with the security guard, the irate woman, and one of the managers. The security guard was there because the irate woman was trying to break out the passenger window of the minivan to “free” the dog. Yeah, that’s humane to the dog. :rolleyes: She was so angry she wasn’t even making sense. Luckily, the owner of the dog just smiled, got into her car and calmly drove off after thanking the manager and security guard for their help.

The thing that really gets me is people whom I know who use the excuse “I’m having a bad day” to be a dick. Look, none of us want to be at work. I can get by, though, without making your life miserable - can’t you?

What I absolutely hate is people who want to speed in residential areas. I don’t like to go over 35 or 30, if that’s the limit. I had it drilled into my head early on that you have to pick your way through residential areas because you never know when Lassie will come torching into the road at your car. Worse, you never know when Junior will be torching after Lassie or running to get a soccerball that goes across the road.

When I get tailgated in such areas, I slow down. I don’t do it to be a douche, but because it’s just safer. I would much rather be going 25-30 if I have to slam on the brakes and get rear-ended.

My hubby and I just had a chat about people like this today, like people that need to speed up to cut you off.

I feel if it makes them happy to do it then so be it, it’s not going to spoil my mood. Hopefully it gives them something to feel good about.

“The woman looked at us and proceeded to dwadle. She put something in the backseat, and rearanged things back there. She opened her trunk, fiddled around in there for a few moments, then got into the car. She turned on the engine (presumably for the air because it’s hot) then applied lipstick, cleaned her glasses, and finally, running out of things to do, just sat there. It was very obvious that she was just doing it to be nasty.”
I would have felt slightly inclined to pull up a little and make a long phone call.

I wouldn’t do that for two reasons. Firstly, it’s not right to use others’ actions as an excuse for bad actions of our own, and secondly, it would have just made her feel justified in her initial nastiness. (Well, three reasons: I don’t own a cell phone.)

It’s a funny idea, though.

Once, Hubby and I were chased by a young man who had been enraged by a similar thing. He actually tried to force us off the road by edging his car sideways towards ours. (Hubby called his bluff and refused to swerve.) When that didn’t work, he flew up ahead of us and slammed on his breaks. We took the next exit to get away from him.

I didn’t put him into the passive-aggressive category, though. I put him in the out-and-out-lunatic category. He’ll kill someone someday, and it won’t necessarily be in a car.

[QUOTE=Lissa]

Two months ago, I was going shopping with my mother. The small parking lot was packed full-- we had to wait for a spot to open. Mom saw a lady heading to her car, so she pulled up behind to wait. The woman looked at us and proceeded to dwadle. She put something in the backseat, and rearanged things back there. She opened her trunk, fiddled around in there for a few moments, then got into the car. She turned on the engine (presumably for the air because it’s hot) then applied lipstick, cleaned her glasses, and finally, running out of things to do, just sat there. It was very obvious that she was just doing it to be nasty.
[\QUOTE]

Several years ago I read a report about one study that had been done on time taken by drivers in parking lots to pull out of a parking space. After observing who knows how many vehicles (okay obviously they knew but I don’t remember) the conclusion was that, on average, it took longer for a driver to pull out of the space when another driver was waiting to pull in. Sad comment on people.

Well geez, that quoting didn’t work very well. Sigh.

I must be weird. When the carpark is full and I’m heading back to my car, I usually point in the general direction of where I’m parking and indicate to the nearest seeker that I’m leaving.

I’m the exact opposite. I like to show people how it’s done, and steal their thunder if they’re gearing up to get angry. If I see someone eying the spot I’m in, I am in reverse 2 seconds from my key touching the outer lock. At the ATM, I’m the guy that’s in and out in less than a minute (machine allowing). I’m not the guy trying to re-fi his mortgage, buy stamps, make 3 deposits, one withdrawal, check his balance twice, and then reorganize his wallet as he’s putting the cash back.

The only time I dawdle when getting into my car is if someone’s been tailing me closely down the aisle while I walk to where I’m parked. 99% of the time, I don’t park super-close or even sorta close, so they surely could have found a closer spot just by driving on and checking out another aisle. (And when I say dawdle, I just mean that I’m not extra speedy, and I’ll only turn on the radio before pulling out.)

I guess you’re also not the guy who turns it into a family bonding experience with his three year old either? Why do people think it’s cute to let little Tiffany play with the ATM when there’s a queue of people waiting to get their money and get out of there?

I’ve had a number of run-ins with the asshole who won’t let you in his lane on the freeway. You speed up, he speeds up. You slow down, he slows down. Drives me batshit, especially because they like to do this when you’re trying to merge right to get into your exit lane. Once I actually missed my exit because of this.

We also once saw a dude in a very crowded downtown parking lot (by a movie theatre, on Saturday night) get in his car, see a car waiting for the spot (this being the car in front of us), and sit there, literally picking his nose. Cars queue up, people honk, butmunch picks.

I also can’t stand the people who pull up to your back friggin’ bumper while stopped on a hill. Dude, we are hanging out on like a 40 degree angle right now, I will roll when I hit the gas, and I WILL wait for you to back up if you’re sitting on my bumper. (Though this is more idiot that jerk)