Yet another eBay rant

Of course, black - if this seller hadn’t waited for me, why, he couldn’t have been a spiteful, vindictive jerk and leave me negative feedback for tarnishing his record! :rolleyes: They always want to see what you leave first, because it’s not about the auction, it’s about the other person, duh. That’s not how it’s supposed to work, but some people do use it that way. It’s not pretty.

Esprix

I have to defend the seller here.

Here is a person who in 207 transactions has made every one of his customers happy.
From his feed back history we can assume he has made a single honest mistake.
As soon as it is brought to his attention he offers a full refund or an extra item of greater value.
I would never leave negative or neutral feedback in a case like that.

It is extremely hard to get past 200 transactions without getting some undeserved negative feedback.

It would not have been such a big deal if he had had other bad feedback but as his record was perfect the leaving of a neutral was a big deal.

I understand your position but I believe you overreacted.

Hi Exprix,

you do know the entymology fo the word “gypped”, don’t you?

just a friendly heads up.

Esprix, even.

and “for”.

Sorry to Hijack, but I have a question.

I was the high bidder of a Beige Eddie Bauer Sweater, I like the clothing especially Sweaters for EB, and there is no more EB Store in DE/MD.

So I get E-mail saying I was outbid, OK, then I get E-mail saying the outbid was cancelled, OK so I think I am still the high bidder. When I get home and can go on E-bay Website, go to the auctions I am bidding on area and do not see the listing, it has been removed.

Can/Why have they just remove an auction, I have never known that to happen? I have Good Buyer Feedback, I’ve done other auctions. WTF? Enlighten me please.

Well, Spree, I think the guy was a doink for getting vindictive, however, in your shoes I would have left no feedback at all or positive feedback. He made a mistake, he corrected it.

I’ve been screwed by people completely and not left negative feedback. It’s not worth it, for exactly this reason.

They can remove auctions for various reasons.

If the auction was for an illegal item (pirated software, AK-47…etc) or if someone reported shilling on an auction. There are others, but I don’t remember them off the top of my head.

When I’m scoping out a seller, I usually look to see if they’ve left retaliatory feedback (I know, impossible to do if there are no negatives). I do it for this very reason.

Hopefully this guy just shot himself in the foot. Anyone who researches a buyer’s feedback first, sees the neutral and follows the link to your feedback, will see this is a guy they don’t want to deal with. I won’t buy from someone with even one retaliatory negative or neutral feedback.

I know, not much consolation. Wish I had more. :frowning:

MrPeabody, I’m a bit of an EBay newbie, what sort of prize do you get for having a perfect record? My guess is none. Feedback is there to let the buyer know what sort of seller their dealing with, and vice versa. My guess also is that a single neutral feedback about a screwed up transaction isn’t going to cost him anything. The seller fucked up, he offered a product for sale that he didn’t have. Therefore, he doesn’t deserve to have a perfect record, since he isn’t perfect. Buyers should have the right to know that he does make mistakes that could foul up an auction, but is very reasonable and not an asshole about it (well, before the feedback thing)

Esprix was being nice in offering neutral feedback, since it was a complete fuckup and he was denied the opportunity to get the item he wanted. Recall that Esprix wanted that figurine, if the seller hadn’t made a mistake, Esprix may have actually gotten it by bidding on the other auction.

Esprix, OTOH, now has negative feedback even though he did nothing to fuck up the transaction. It’s crap like that vengeful feedback that allows sellers like him to stay 100% positive even if they do screw up. People are afraid to say anything negative for fear of reprisals.

Plus, my comment along with the neutral feedback was exactly the truth:

So it’s not like I left a neutral mark without an explanation - I explained what happened, but I also explained how he corrected it. I think it was pretty fair. This was his response:

Seems reasonable, doesn’t he? But here’s what he wrote under the negative feedback for me:

Charming, eh? And the other feedback he’s talking about is the feedback I left early on about people making me overpay for postage, but I’ve since realized that’s not worth complaining about (and these were over a year ago - I’ve had nothing but positive feedback left for me, and left nothing but positive feedback for sellers, since).

My response, FTR:

For me, I don’t care that he left me negative feedback, I just hate why he did, i.e., in retaliation. He’s actually my first negative feedback, and it doesn’t bother me. And, frankly, I very, very rarely check a seller’s feedback unless he’s got just a few responses - usually if I see something I just go ahead and bid on it and live up to my end of the bargain, and I haven’t gotten burned yet (well, not until this jerk).

Esprix

Cheesesteak, I agree the feedback system is hampered by retaliatory feedback.

I have about 275 positive feedback with no negative or neutrals. It is a huge deal to most dealers to try to keep perfect. It is a point of pride and a selling tool.

Sellers are now withholding feedback until they receive positive feed back from the buyer.

For years I have always given the buyer receive feedback as soon as payment was made. They had fulfilled their part of the agreement.

Do to a rash of bizarre problems with buyers not paying or other problems I now place a note in my auction that I will leave feed back when the buyer is satisfied with the purchase. This gives me a chance to solve any minor problems that are usually due to miscommunication. It also avoids the problem of people having buyer’s remorse and the few true crazy people that are out there.

I think the negative feedback given to Esprix was petty and way out of line. But I buy and sell on ebay so I see it from both sides.

In this instance I don’t believe you were out of line. A neutral was justified on a botched deal.

Following your sellers advice I looked at your previous feedbacks. You were WAY out of line on your previous neutrals. Perhaps you were just ‘finding your groove’ on ebay, but being a newbie isn’t much of an excuse.

Perhaps you should have lurked more.

I don’t buy on eBay, but I do lurk quite a bit, and it seems like a lot of feedback is a popularity contest.

And what’s up with people making their feedback “private?” Doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose?

I know of someone who is constantly scamming people on eBay, as a buyer AND a seller, has a fraudulent seamstress business-and STILL has yet to be caught. It’s disgusting.

Eep, never thought people would actually be looking me up on eBay. :slight_smile:

Esprix

I agree. Esprix incorrectly compared S&H to the postage of the stamps. But that’s just the shipping, not the handling which is arbitrary and at the discretion of the seller within certain limits.

Again, I realize that now, although it seems to be de rigeur to use “and handling” as a way to get more money out of the buyer. It’s always burned me, but its SOP at eBay.

Esprix

As a seller on E-bay and strictly speaking for myself let me explain S&H.

I charge 1.00 shipping and handling.
Postage on th eenvelope specifiaclly says: 60 cents.

I think that if Esprix was buying from me, i would have received a neutral feedback.

Whenever I sell a button, I wrap it in a glassine envelope. I place bubble wrap around it. I place that in a sturdy outer envelope, which is then taped shut.

I almost spend more time in packaging than I do in manufacturing.
I think that 40 cents extra is fair. I want it to get here in mint shape.

I agree that some sellers go overboard in the “& H” part, but following the lead, I saw that you complained about aproximately 97 cents.

C’mon Esprix. 97 cents?

had it been 5.00 to ship a postcard, I would find you justified.

My solution:
Sellers that list outrageous S&H do not get my bid.

Well, that’s true - I question an auction with over-the-top handling fees. And, again, this was stuff I was posting about over a year ago when I was new to eBay - it’s not something I would leave negative feedback for anymore. Reasonable handling fees are, as you pointed out, customary and not out of place.

Esprix

Yes, but the point is that other people do consider it tarnishing. Whether you consider it to be a black mark on the record is not the point. It’s the other people who will be looking at that seller’s feedback that matters to him. He had a perfect record, and you turned it into a not-perfect record, apparently because of a computer glitch that he didn’t have any control over, even after he tried to rectify the situation.

I guess we just look at it differently. For example, I bought a musical instrument, and when I got it, it was missing the mouthpiece receiver, and was unusable in the condition I received it. I contacted the seller, and he said he was unaware of the missing piece, and was very accomodating as far as refunding my money. Yes, I was mad that the item was not usable, but I didn’t see any reason to take it out on the seller, who made an innocent mistake. And since he was so accomodating, I left him POSITIVE feedback. If a person is honest and trying hard to be a good businessperson, I don’t see the necessity of dinging them for a simple mistake. There are enough crooks, cheaters, and jerky people using eBay already, without having to take aim at those who just made a mistake.

No, it’s NOT the way eBay is run. I looked at the previous feedback you left for other people, and it really looks like you’re just being super-picky. I don’t think it’s right to enter into a transaction and agree to the terms, then turn around and complain that you were overcharged. If you don’t want to pay handling charges, don’t bid on auctions that have them. I always read the listing very carefully- if there is a fixed shipping charge or a handling fee, I don’t bid on that item. And it’s standard practice to try to resolve problems with the seller BEFORE leaving negative feedback. If the seller is willing to compromise, he should get positive feedback. If he is not, THEN you should go ahead and leave negative feedback.

Annie: when I would send money orders for auctions, I sent them certified, with the return receipt requested. This way, if the seller tried to claim a “lost” money order, I had proof that s/he did, in fact, receive it, and they should get off their butt and look for it. It also gives me a tracking method should the letter be delayed.

Robin