Yet another Martini thread. Is vodka now assumed?

About a month ago we were dining at the Sportsmen’s Lodge in Studio City. Lackadaisically, I perused up the little tabletop menu of special martinis, and was surprised to see, in prominent lettering, the instruction: Choose your Vodka from the list on ther reverse. As if it’s now assumed that you want a vodka martini if you don’t specify, and that you have to say “Gin” if that’s what you want. This is all the odder since the Lodge is a very retro place–indeed, the sort of place where you suspect they would still serve champagne in a coupe glass rather than a flute.

So, what say the local barflies and bartenders? If you don’t say “Gin”, do you automatically get vodka now? And if you’re on the other side of the bar, is that the way you mix it?

IANABartender, but I can drink :slight_smile:
I still order my vodka martinis, by saying the brand name I want. I think that if you were just to say ‘gimme a martini’ most bartenders would ask the question of what type/brand, so why not get it out of the way in the order.
However, I’ve noticed that vodka martinis are much more popular than gin. I agree that the Sportsman’s Lodge doesn’t look like the kind of place to embrace change. I’ve never been, but drive past often.

My drink? Grey-Goose Martini - Rocks, 2 olives

I don’t understand the appeal of vodka, though. It doesn’t seem to have any flavor. But people do talk about the differences between brands, and between average and premium labels, so I must be missing something.

I always mix my martinis with gin, usually either Bombay or Tanqueray.

In most places, a Martini is still gin and vermouth. Vodka Martinis are popular, but enough people still like the “traditional standard” version. So, unless otherwise specified, just asking for a Martini means gin.