Yet Another Tenant-Landlord Situation: Georgia-Style

I live in some apartments run by a senior-housing management firm. The local manager also happens to be the Mayor of this fair city, and lately I have been needing some repairs done, and I am not getting any response: either on the telephone or to certified mail, and recently a personal visit to the office had me waiting until it was almost time for me to get ready to go to work.

First let me say that this is not cheap rental housing: I pay 610.00 bucks a month for my two bedroom, 1 bath place and that rent is always on time.

Most recently I have had a kitchen drawer’s face come apart on me and I called them to let them know (this was a month ago) and I was assured they would order a new one for me rather than repair the old one. Fine. Then last week, the oven on my stove stopped working properly (cycling problem - probably a bad element) amd I called to report this and got some high school student who told me she would pass on the message. You guessed it: nothing.

Previously (under different management) they have fixed a defective dishwasher for me with no problem and without charge.

My rental contract stipulates only that I am responsible to report damages or breakages in a timely (written) fashion and that “management will repair damage/breakage after fair wear and tear has been determined.”

So as not to waste anyone’s time: 1) Why are they avoiding me and 2) if the above quoted statement means I’m screwed, why did they fix my dishwasher at no charge, and 3) what are my options?

It seems to me that the guy who wants to continue to be mayor of our town would treat his constituents (many of whom are older than I - They let me move in because they had trouble filling the place up 3 years ago) better than this.

Thanks

Q

The Landlord/Tenant Handbook has recommendations, but no legal statute cites.

[quote]
If you have questions related to Tenant-Landlord Law, please call the Tenant-Landlord Hotline at 404-206-5343 or 800-369-4706. They can probably give you true scoop.

When I had a lardlord issue here in FL, I wrote him e-mails and certified letters quoting Florida Statutes and laying out my requests in order to consider this matter closed, copying a lawyer friend of mine. Finally I had my lawyer friend write a lawyer letter to him, and I got my money back.

I had an issue a few years ago where I was forced to call the health department to get repairs done on my apartment. The stove hadn’t worked since I’d moved in, the heating system was condemned by the gas company due to irrepairable leaks, the water was coming out of the tap brown, and so on and so on. I’d use this as a last resort, however. Landlords don’t seem to like renewing leases after you’ve called the health department.

Nothing described in the OP is a real health risk (unlike the case Amberlei cited), though, so the Health Dept. is probably out of the picture. You might check to see if there’s some statute requiring you to have a working oven, but that seems unlikely.

I must admit that the first thing that popped in my mind when you said your manager was the mayor was “go to the papers.” To make this worthwhile, though, it would have to be more than just you being unable to get stuff repaired, and it would have to be something a little pressing than a broken cupboard; you could ask around the building if you’re so inclined.

I would use this only as a last resort, though. If you think your landlord wouldn’t like the Health Dept. involved, I’d say it’s a fair bet that he’d view the press even less kindly.