You can keep a sloth as a pet!

here’s the proof:

It’s a clip of a sloth ----with a house cat, all curled up together. The sloth has 6-inch long claws and very muscular arms designed for gripping trees…but it very gently hugs the cat and grooms its face. Neat!

(the clip is 4 minutes long, but you can skip a bit…watch do the first minute, and the last 30 seconds.)

I actually looked into this a few months back as my wife is nuts about sloths. They’re pricey, of course (several thousand, depending on the age/gender) and not too many municipalities outlaw them. The site I was looking at had a list of all places you weren’t allowed to own them and it was a fairly short list.

From what I learned though, it seemed they were pretty high maintenance pets and could get mean.

The other problem with exotic pets is finding veterinary care. I know a guy with a Serval. Anytime the cat is sick, he drives 3 hours to go to the vet.

That’s a Three-toed Sloth, which usually don’t do very well in captivity. However, the caption in Portuguese suggests it may have been made in Brazil, so the sloth may have access to a semi-natural environment.

Two-toed Sloths are the ones usually kept in captivity, but are larger and more aggressive the Three-toeds and can inflict a pretty serious bite.

That’s a Three-toed Sloth, which usually don’t do very well in captivity. However, the caption in Portuguese suggests it may have been made in Brazil, so the sloth may have access to a semi-natural environment.

Two-toed Sloths are the ones usually kept in captivity, but are larger and more aggressive the Three-toeds and can inflict a pretty serious bite.