You can't leave the house

Hi Kam - long time no “see”, indeed! Hope life is treating you well. Corowa now, huh?
Tell your son he’s cool for picking a Kwaka :wink:

I guess this is not really in the spirit of the OP, but many people in the US would qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance payments. You’d need to have worked in a job where you were paying into Social Security for a certain amount of time and within the last ten years, but I think most working adults would meet the criteria.

I would not consider it a “last resort” to take the Social Security payments that I was entitled to. It isn’t a handout, it’s just a kind of insurance. I’ve been paying into Social Security for years, so if I were disabled and couldn’t work it would be only fair that I get my benefits.

If I could still work at some job other than the one I have now then Social Security would expect me to do that. The benefits are supposed to be for people who have a disability that will prevent them from doing any work for at least a year. But if I fell into that category I would not be ashamed to take the money.

First, get out of the townhouse and into a small ranch house. Hopefully within a year my husband’s job will have moved back locally - right now he is out of state half the time.

I would probably do bookkeeping from home - I already do it on a volunteer basis for a couple non-profits in addition to my regular finance job so it would not be too difficult to make the necessary connections to work out of my home for a couple CPA’s. Assuming medical bills don’t blow us out of the water, it would be a fairly easy transition to working at home.

I like to sew, cook and read, so as long as all that was accessible I think I’d be fine mentally. Probably do some additional online education. I’d miss hiking, but I think at this point in my life it would not be a horrendous adjustment for me. Now it would be an entirely different matter if it was my husband becoming disabled- I can see long periods of deep dark depression for him.