You down with OPP? (Old People's Problems) Then post them here

Thanks. Those are good, and simple, too.

Ever since I fell off my (excruciatingly cute) platform shoes and broke my ankle in 2007, I always hold on to every handrail, including on my own front porch. I don’t think a fall is inevitable for you if you go slowly and are mindful of every step going down.

Were you doing chair yoga on YouTube?

I’m a side sleeper and can’t sleep on my back or stomach. When I had frozen shoulders, I had to pile up pillows to enable me to sleep on my side; I laid on them and let my shoulder hang off the “cliff” at the edge of the pillows. What a pain!

I wish this MedCline pillow had been around at the time. I’d have counted it money well spent. In fact, it looks pretty comfy today, even without sore shoulders.

I had frozen shoulder a few years back. I slipped on some ice walking down our front stoop, and really messed my back up. The back pain was so bad I didn’t notice the shoulder, and didn’t do anything about it for a long time. A couple of months of PT and I was good as new. I can’t run on consecutive days anymore, and haven’t tried for many years. I could probably walk 2-3 hours every day if I wanted to. I have a biopsy coming up next month on my prostate. I don’t have any cancer symptoms, but there’s a lesion. I kind of enjoyed the questions about whether or not I ever had trouble getting a boner, since the answer was never when I need to. Overall, I can’t complain too much so far. I look and feel fine for 57.

After 40 years in medicine, that stuff is burned into my brain.

I’m having so many issues at the moment and my doctor is just being so dismissive of my complaints. I know I need to change to a new doctor, but it’s such a pain in the butt.

I honestly have no idea if the pain I’m having is actually back issues or something else. I mean, I do have back issues, but it didn’t use to feel like I have an alien in my back trying to claw it’s way out. I have just been diagnosed with Osteopenia though so maybe it’s that.

I can no longer go for the 3-5 mile walk every day and that makes me sad and antsy and it’s not helping my weight any at all.

So far, 65 is not proving to be good to me.

Am I alone in waking numerous times a night? No, I don’t have to pee, I just keep waking.

No, you’re not alone. In fact, everybody does this. I wear a FitBit 24/7 and it analyzes my sleep. In any given night when I’m in bed “asleep” for, say, six hours, my FitBit tells me I’ve been awake momentarily or longer (cumulatively) for at least an hour or more, even if I’m only aware of a few specific times. And the device compares me with other women my age, and those times are 100% normal. Who knew, right?

My gf is 62 and has horses. She just bought a used Arctic Cat that she plans to use for hauling around hay bales, doing landscaping, etc.

So far it has just made more work for us. This weekend we rearranged an area of the barn where Kitty (it has a name) can be parked. This led to the realization that the garage needed rearranged. Oh, and I spent half a day playing with the winch, learning how to use the plow.

I have a small Kubota with a front end loader, but for just a few horses, it’s usually easier to manually move stuff than get out the tractor. Plus I feel it’s probably good for me to be doing manual labor.

StG

I don’t think I saw anyone mention ED yet. My ex and I have recently been spending a little time together- mostly beach days or lunch. To say he is the most . . . amorous being I have ever met it is putting it mildly. I couldn’t figure out why nothing elicits even a double entendre from him anymore, when it used to be that almost everything that came out of his mouth was dripping with innuendo. Then the other day, I commented on something being small and wrinkly and he said “just like my dick”. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh :woman_facepalming:

He revealed to me that he’s had erectile dysfunction for a few years now. I mean, I don’t want to boff him but I feel bad. Sex was his raison d’etre , poor thing.

I had some of those issues with high blood pressure meds…then got back into cycling. The exercise lowered by BP, which had me stopping my meds (no, I’m not taking them with a 135/85 reading…y’all just moved the goalposts), and came back pneumatically…just in time for the wife to have a dermoid cyst removed which pushed her into peri-menopause. sigh.

I don’t know the age that typically becomes a problem (if it does). I just turned 60 and my sex drive is through the roof. I think it has increased over the past five years or so for some reason. My wife says she’s okay with (and grateful for) my constant advances, even though she’s not sharing my level of “drive.” We have a happy and fulfilling sex life, so I’m certainly not complaining.

By the same token, my left elbow is peachy…but that’s not what this thread is for. We’re bitching about the broken stuff that comes along with aging, not the things that are working fine.

I’ve heard this explained as no longer having to worry about the consequences of sex (like pregnancy).

That makes sense, but we’ve been snipped for 20 years. But, kids out of the house, a little more free time, and the feeling that the end of the road is within sight. Whatever, as I said, I’m not complaining.

Absolutely

People need to learn that you don’t need an erection for a satisfying sex life. You just need to be a little more creative.

The originating thread from @Unintentionally_Blank began with a problem I’d like to commiserate about…

I’ve recently discovered I’m joining you. The short version is that 2021 seriously pruned our family tree. And I (already retired in my 60s) was shown some statements with really big numbers and informed they’re now headed to me. This was unexpected, I didn’t really know about it (not much anyway), and I’m a little overwhelmed.

spoilered for length

I don’t like the reasons for this, and would gladly trade it to have all my family back. It’s a strange feeling, but at least I know with certainty how my heart feels about it. I’ve known people in my situation who I suspected were happy about the trade-off, and had wondered what my own reactions would be. There’s some comfort in knowing my values remain where they should.

But it’s still a strange feeling. And like the OP, part of me is at sea, wondering “what now?”. If I had known this future, I could have retired decades earlier – to sail around the world, or whatever grand event was in my bucket list. But now age and medical issues restrict me considerably – and I don’t want a Ferrari or a rocket ride. In addition, I will probably be assuming responsibility for a handicapped family member and need to ensure they’re well provided for, but not allowed to squander their portion (long story).

My real complaint is, except for my wife there is literally no one I can talk with about this. My few friends would react like Unintentionally_Blank predicts above, and although I’m keeping several bartenders in silk shirts, they hardly qualify as a sympathetic ear. I guess my real OPP is I’ve reached a point where deep discussions IRL are simply impossible. All conversations in the last few years are like the gun threads; all participants have predetermined answers, and are crouching behind figurative trebuchets awaiting an excuse to launch them. Lots of people to talk to but none who listen. I wonder how widespread this is among other oldsters.

Age 64 and was told to stop playing racquetball a few years ago due to a wrist injury that surgery may or may not help. More likely the latter. “You just won’t heal like you used to”. It was my favorite form of exercise. What I really noticed was the need to get up once a night (4:00 am) to pee and then not being able to go back to sleep. I know there are guys who have it much worse but it still sucks.

I drink a crazy volume of water to keep my gout at bay. It’s worked well; I haven’t had a gout flare up in many years, despite drinking much beer and eating all the wrong things.

The cost is getting up twice a night to pee.