You fucking idiot waiter!

Okay, tonight we went to planet hollywood.

Dinner was fine, then dessert came.

I asked about the Double Chocolate Brownie, which was advirtised as “…with whipped cream and chopped nuts” i asked if the nuts were baked into the brownie or on top, turns out they are on top, so i ask for the brownie without the nuts, and with Oreo Cookies.

My Dessert comes and on top there are no oreos, but there are nuts.

after grabbing the waiters attention i said “I asked for no nuts and i…”
he interrupts with “Those arent nuts…they’re peanuts”
i almost burst out laughing and i said i didnt want ANY NUTS, plus i wanted OREO’s. He takes it back and brings it out again, this time with oreos, no peanuts but there are almonds.

So i ate fucking thing and find out there are nuts BAKED INTO THE FUCKING BROWNIE! I felt like kicking the son of a bitch in the balls saying “I dont like crunched nuts, do you like yours?”

i also made the suggestion to leave the wrong amount of money 3 fucking times and see how they like it.

And there we go.
Thats my story of “The Fucking Idiot Waiter”

should have left the nuts as his tip.

once my s.o. left this tip after some really shoddy service: he and the people he was with collected all of their pennies and spelled out the word TIP.

Brings to mind the time when I was with my friend and his extremely straight laced father.

We’re going through the drive through and the woman on the speaker asks “Do you want crushed nuts” and he says (to us) “do you think she wants her tits shot off?” and then replies “no thanks” to the speaker.

He failed to realize that the speaker is a two way communication device with a high level of sensitivity. When we pulled up to the window the woman was red faced while a number of her co-workers were laughing their heads off.

And yes, the waiter was an idiot.

A good waiter should know what goes into everything that is sold because the consequences of not knowing could be very bad. What if you were allergic to nuts and took a big old bite out of this killer brownie? It could have been the last thing to ever pass your lips.

oh, holy shit… that is one of the funniest damn things I’ve read all week!

It reminds me of a time that me and some friends went into a Wendy’s, and my friend ordered a “chicken breast sandwich, hold the nipples”… I’m not quite sure what brought that about, but, well… [sub]hell, he’d be thrown in jail for saying that now[/sub]

I feel that the waiter poor RAWisSYDNEY had to deal with should be flogged publicly in the middle of the restaurant while being pummeled with random nuts.

That’s hilarious! I’m gonna go to Wendy’s this afternoon and say that when I order my sandwich. I’ll let you know what happens. :slight_smile:

To Feynn and MFS. Thanks you so much for making my wife think I’m a total goon. I was on the phone talking with her when I happened to open this thread and read your posts. I, of course, started laughing so hard that I dropped the phone and then couldn’t explain to my wife why. I’ll just have to wait for her to get home from work and read this for herself.

Thanks for making my day. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reminder- I had the opposite experience this week and I wanted to jot the restaurant a letter.

My friend asked if there were tomatoes on a particular dish and was told there were not. A few minutes later the waitress returned and said she double checked and there is tomato sauce in the dish, and she was worried my friend might be allergic and wanted to alert her. My friend changed her order and we were stunned silent.

I left a 25% tip and a nice note, but I think I’ll write to the restaurant, too. Too many waiter/waitresses just dont’ give a flying fuck.

Zette

I would NEVER tell someone there are no nuts in something when there are. Hell, I’m not even allowed to say there are no nuts in something when there AREN’T. All of our products could have come into contact with nuts.

And, technically, peanuts aren’t nuts; they’re legumes. But a waiter toying with someone using this distinction deserves to be kicked in the, um, cojones.

Now THERE’S your problem…

LOL you beat me to it. Planet Hollywood is singularly the worst restaurant I’ve ever eaten at.

“There’s the cane from Citizen Kane! Wait a minute…”

A restaurant rant from the other side…

I have no tolerance for poor service in restaurants, this comes from a guy who worked in them for many years and prided himself on delivering the best service possible.

I once had a family come into a restaurant I was working in and an older gentleman with the party happened to be blind.
When I seated them I pointed out to the older man where everything was according to the clock method; water glass was at 12:00 with a napkin inside, side plate was at 9:00 and his coffee cup was at 1:00 etc. He commented that no-one had ever done that for him before. When I took this gentleman’s order I asked if there was anything special he wanted done with his plate. He asked if the kitchen could cut his steak into bites and I added that they could also separate the items more then usual if he liked. He was shocked that I knew this but I explained that my cousin is blind and he’d ask for the same things…

When I went to the chef and gave him the instructions the co-owner was walking by and this she-bitch from hell went off on us saying that this was too much trouble to take for a customer. WTF?? The chef was the other co-owner and he told her that he would do whatever it took to make the customer happy and pointed out that our client was blind. Thankfully, she shut the hell up and left us.

When I served this man I pointed out where everything was again using the clock method. He was effusive in his thanks saying he’d never had such service anywhere. I apologized for not having a menu in braille. Afterwards a man from this group came up to me and thanked me again for making his father’s dining experience so pleasurable and that he’d never seen anything like it.

These people became regular customers and when they called to reserve a table they always asked if I was working so I could take care of them. This was a better compliment than the huge tips they left, really. I taught the other staff about serving people with disabilities, it’s no wonder I work with disabled people now.

Anyhow, I was constantly butting heads with the ignorant she-bitch from hell since she (poorly) handled all the front end business. I suggested getting a few menus printed in braille, she was totally opposed to getting a menu in braille citing the cost. I already had looked into this and found people who would do it for free just because we would be offering a service to a certain disabled population that no-one else did. While we were at it I said we should have some large type menus because many people couldn’t read the finer print. I am sure I brought her to the verge of firing me on many occasions but then there were those pesky blind customers and old folks asking if I was working…

Restaurants are made to be accessible to persons in wheelchairs so why not make the menu accessible to people that are unable to see? It seemed like a no-brainer to me then as it does now.

Which section is Feynn working tonight? Seriously, that was great. I printed up a large print menu for the cafe I work at. We are located in a library and get a lot of elderly customers. It has helped.

I always tip generously(average 50% when it’s less than 20$) except when the waiter is a total fuckwad. I never understood how anyone could be making a decent wage with people just handing out one or two dollars per meal.

I remember once where the waiter just plain forgot I existed. He walked off, and I heard nothing for an hour. I went to check what was going on, and he said, “Oh, yeah, I forgot about you. Sorry. What did you want?” Christ.

Bravo, Feynn!

Sometimes it isn’t always the waiter’s fault. I worked as a waitress for about three months until the restaurant closed down, and it’s very disheartening going out of your way to remember special requests and accomidate people, then have them smile and wish you a good day while leaving barely a 10% tip in over half of cases.

People either need to be better educated in restaurant etiquette or not go out to eat if they can’t afford to properly tip the waitstaff. There are a few people who honestly don’t know waitstaff doesn’t make minimum wage, but I have to wonder about the rest.

Dear OP:

If you had an allergy, and had informed the waitron that that was why you were asking, you would have a case to be as upset as you seemingly are.

No allergy? Then you are just another “bad” customer. I suggest valium.

hmm… yes, 20 valium into his coffee would be just the thing…

but how will RAWisSYDNEY find where the waiter lives?

hmm… yes, 20 valium into his coffee would be just the thing…

but how will RAWisSYDNEY find where the waiter lives? :slight_smile:

crap! sorry. i guess those valium should be mine…

The waiter was an idiot, especially due to the high occurance of peanut and nut allergies. He should have been more careful and delivered the order as you asked for it. That said:

1. How busy was it that night? Was he swamped? There are times when its possible to have even only 3 or so tables, but they all need something at once, and its easy to forget details. I noticed the last time I went to planet hollywood that few wait staff write orders down, and rely on memory - sometimes mistakes happen, and you can’t really blame them. (although the second time around, you gotta wonder…)

2. Wait staff are not necessarily involved in the food prep. Even having given the order to the dessert person in the kitchen exactly like you wanted it, sometimes the kitchen staff don’t hear/remember/(I hate to say)care what the specific requests were. You don’t always notice when you’re taking a plate out whether or not its how it should be. I once brought a burger order to a table and the chefs hadn’t even put on the meat yet, though they’d called me to take it. you just don’t notice, especially if you’re busy!

3. Was he tired? Long shifts can be REALLY hard, and believe me, tiredness comes into play and affects your job performance. If he’s been working a lot that day and previous days, its sad to say, but he really might not care anymore and just wants to go home and never hear the words “planet” and “hollywood” in the same sentence again.

4. If there was new kitchen staff making the brownies, or it was a different type due to having run out of the regular ones, or changing companies, etc, and the waiter wasn’t informed of the change, then he cannot be expected to know that NOW there aren’t any nuts in them. And if the type of brownie hasn’t changed since he started working there, why would he think it’s any different that day?
    Ok, I think that’s enough. I just had to offer a couple of counter-arguments, even though I still think you received poor service and the waiter wasn’t as knowledgeable or caring about your menu choices as he should have been. ESPECIALLY in the case of nuts. I just often feel that wait staff are criticized for things beyond their control, and I have to stand up for those who actually try to do our jobs well!

I also should remind myself that I have quit my job and am no longer technically a waitress, so I should just shut up and go to bed.

Carry on.

I could never in my life hope for better service from restaurant staff. As someone who has worked as a bus boy, dish washer, prep chef and as a professional chef, you would be the first person I would hire and the last one I would fire. I should be so lucky as to have you wait my table.

I wish I could think of higher praise, but I can’t. If I ever run a restaurant myself, I’d want you to run the wait staff. (If you are aware of how much fine dining means to me, then you know what I intend to convey here.)

Sincerely,

Chris