You know you're hardcore Jersey when you get these...

[Bart Simpson]must use spellcheck; must spell it ‘Blackhorse Pike’[/Bart Simpson]

[Bart Simpson]must use spellcheck; must spell it ‘Blackhorse Pike’[/Bart Simpson]

Well I was in Asbury Park when they were renovating the Stone Pony, so we went to a bar down the street. And Bruce came in to play pool. Does that get me anything?

LOL. I know it’s a theatre now. I’ve seen my share of movies there even!

But I did love that Flea Market. And I REALLY loved Englishtown Auction. That was the place that, before ebay, you really could by just about anything. I think my mother told me recently that it’s gone too. Condos or something going up on the site.

Englishtown closing? No way. The place opened up the day after fire had deestroyed the main building. There’s no indicatiion on its website that it’s closing:

Incidentally, before it was Route 1 Flea Market, that building was the Great Eastern department store. I shopped there many a time. I’ve been to the movies there, too, since they changed it over. Nice seating, but a soulless place.

BTW: That Grave is an Entry in the Weird NJ Tome.

Sure, you’ll win a Cheese Burger grilled to order next Saturday. (You are still coming?)

I was at Englishtown a few months ago, its not dead yet. It doesn’t seem the same, a lot less garage sale type stuff, that and my house is filled with my own garbage, I mean junk, I mean carefully stored treasures.

Jim

Wow, awesome! Thanks. I didn’t even think to Google it or look for a website.

That’s great news.

Something about Englishtown having a website is making my insides feel funny. At least it’s cheesy. :wink: (And oh my god, Now I’ve got a craving for chicken and frakes from the chicken place in the red building. and mini donuts.)

The Grave of Mary Ellis

I dunno why this just popped into my little old brain, but always remember and never forget:

North Plainfield
Plainfield
South Plainfield

are all in different counties :slight_smile:

And while I’m at it, how come there isn’t a North Orange? Or is that Bloomfield?

NJ, especially The Parkway (it’s not the Garden State, it’s The Parkway!), is the king of exits that are not necessarily accessible from either side of the parkway. That used to drive me nuts. Now I just accept it. I have been assimilated. Resistance was indeed futile :slight_smile:

I hope to. But only if you take the cheese off, I’ve just never understood putting cheese on beef. Where are you? That is, what exit :smiley: ? If you e mailed me I must have missed it, too much spam.

Talking of flea markets and such, NJ to me is Crazy Collector Central. I don’t think there’s a better place to be if you’re into 78s, for example. The population density is such that guys are still finding good stuff by “junking” (which to record nerds means hunting, not throwing out).

Also, back in the day, Jersey was close enough to NY that whatever pop culture put out, not only did they get it, they also Got It. It was a hip market.

Count Blucher

You know what? I just mocked somebody for having about 4 of these in his house. They were all from different ones too, Cape May, Trenton, Camden and I want to say Sussex.

Ooh, thought of some more:

You know who “Big Joe” is and why he gives away buicks and drives a big yellow van.
-And you remember when he was both big and working for 107.1

You’ve been to Elmer, and seen the hospital.
You’ve had to take the Rutgers bus system at least once because the party you went to had no parking, except for on Livingston.
Your governor accepts no salary.
You ate at Howard Johnson’s in Asbury Park purely because it looked neat.
You’ve ran into a celebrity at least once in the store, but left it at, “Hey, name.”
FIT took the pretty yet dumb as dirt girls from your high school and gave them a college degree.
Commutes are not measured in miles or minutes, but tolls.
You know when to buy gas on Thursday nights on the parkway.
Two words: DRIVE SAFELY
At least one member of your family works for either a mob front or a pharmaceutical firm.

Oh yeah, and since I’m here…the Stone Pony’s ok. But I gotta metion City Gardens in Trenton…I mean Trent’n. It’s gone down hill but in the '80’s everyone who was anyone played there. I mean everyone who was anyone who didn’t get played on commercial radio. Which were the only decent bands in the '80’s :slight_smile: .

(But they got played on TSR {Trenton…I mean Trent’n State collage radio}, and PRB {Princeton Collage radio}…we had the best radio back then.)

:smack: College. Which believe it or not I actually went to. Of course it was art school so maybe that makes sense.

Oh man I love this thread.

I spent many, many, many a night thrashing about in the pit at City Gardens. I did my first crowd surfing and stage dive there. sniff
And I don’t know who ‘Big Joe’ is, or at least I don’t think I do, it’s not ringing any bells. But I sure *do *know who Crazy Eddie is! His prices are so low, they’re INSAAAAANE!

I’m exit 114 from the North and 109 from the South, but Email me and I will reply with the full directions and Phone number. I will gladly leave the cheese off.

Shecky: nice additions, especially the long dead HoJo’s and the distance in Tolls.
You lost me on Elmer. What is it?

Hal Briston, I have the book for Weird NJ, if you want to borrow it remind me, a great and fascinating read.

Beware of Doug: I went to Collingswood Auction (and Flea Market) on Sunday and I saw some 78s there. I still see 8-tracks occasionally too.

psycat90: I am glad you are enjoying the thread, that is cool.

Jim

Thank you much for the offer, but for some reason, out-of-state relatives correctly surmise that that book is right up my alley. I’ve received three copies as gifts over the years. :slight_smile:

Maybe we should add that to the list,
You know you’re hardcore Jersey when you own a copy of Weird NJ.

Really? When were you there? Who did you see? Do you remember Regressive Aid? Randy Now? Don Rettman? (who is still in fact working at the Princeton Record Exchange after 20 years).

My highlights? The time the Butthole Surfers practically burned the place down with a burning cymbal (yes, how symbolic), Lux Interior naked except for the high heels in front of his genitals, the Replacements, because we interviewed them, Ministry because we interviewed them at the all ages show, and then the bass player swore up and down that I was actually his girlfriend so I could stay for the over 18 show. I was 16. Actually most of the shows I went to were technically illegal.

My regrets? I missed the last (last in the area) performace by Bauhaus. And one of the last time Iggy Pop took all his clothes off.
And What Exit? I do in fact own a copy of Weird NJ. I look foward to your e mail.

I just sent it, Subject is Straight dope: Directions to What Exit’s home.