You might be a Canadian if....

Indeed there is. His dad was a Canadian (and the best left winger ever, period), and Brett was raised in Canada. But his mum was American, so he has duel citizenship. In the 80’s, the Team Canada coach decided not to add him to the World Championship team, so Hull went and played for the US. So, where you Americans would use the term “Benedict Arnold”, many Canadians would sub “Brett Hull”. Seriously.

I don’t think it was that big a deal; it’s not like he snubbed the Canadians team to play on the American one. And there’s plenty of good reasons to hate him, like the fact he’s a complete tool. But there you are.

Hmm, I just figured it was impossible to watch Hockey Night in Canada without this slowly, accidentally creeping into your brain and sticking there, so that you can never remember your best friend’s spouses name and sometimes you forget your sister’s kids name but no matter what situation you’re in, someone could ask “What’s Don Cherry’s wife’s name again?” and without even thinking about it you’d shout “Rose!”.

But he did snub Team Canada; because he chose to play for the US, he could never play for Canada again by internation rules.

The last time I intentionally watched HNIC, Peter Puck was the deciding factor - so that should tell you how long ago that was. Since then, it’s playoffs only.

“Fuddle-duddle!”

Gah! How could I forget The Beachcombers?

…if you can correctly pronounce the cities Abbottsford, Regina and Calgary.

…if you know all the words to The Rodeo Song

Have I been wooshed? I would have thought these are all completely unambiguous. We’re not exactly talkin’ Tsawwassen or Ucluelet, eh? :confused:

Or have any number of MacLean & MacLean routines memorized…

(This morning I had the pure, simple joy of singing “Put It Into Your Mouth, Mrs. Murphy” to a young lady who h’ain’t heard it before. Joy! Rapture!)

Anybody else here have the novelty record this spawned? It’s called “Do The Fuddle-Duddle” by The House Of Commons, on the GRT label. It’s gotta be pretty durned scare by now.

Sorry, but I don’t think we can make pronouncing “Calgary” correctly a sign of Canadian-ness - even most Canadians don’t pronounce it correctly (Cal-gree is the only correct pronounciation. Anything else indicates you’re a noob.)

The lists so far - I’d say I’m batting about 80%.

What can I add to the list? Having recipes for/eating butter tarts and Nanaimo bars.

Calling them bathrooms or washrooms instead of restrooms.

Going camping every May Long Weekend knowing you’re going to get snowed on.

Wondering what exactly is keeping Lloyd Robertson alive.
Weeeeell, it’s forty below, and I don’t give a fuck,
Got a heater in my truck,
And it’s off to the ro-dee-ooooooo!

…if you remember when Terry Fox was just our hero.

Well…

I’ve had tortiere, maple sugar candy (a chunk of it in coffee is great!), and butter tarts.

I also remember being proud of Triumph’s short-lived (alas) success, and am a huge fan of Rush. Neil Young’s OK too.

Hockey is bearable, and even interesting.

Problem is, I’m the first person in my entire family to be born in the States. Dad was from Quebec (so my name is Denis with one n, thankyouverymuch), and Mom’s from B.C.

I say “eh” because I learned it growing up. Does that count?

I also think The Trailer Park Boys is brilliant. :smiley:

Wouldn’t “KEL-gree” be a more accurate representation?

One of the downsides of HDTV is seening him in detail.
:: shudder ::

1. Yup. Spent a toonie commemorating it yesterday, in fact!
  2. Didn’t sleep well that week at ALL. :: twitch ::
  3. :: sobs ::

I think I know about a quarter of these. Hmm.

1. If you know all the words to The Log-Rider’s Waltz (formative childhood memory)

2. If you’ve ever taken an educational cross-country trip with your parents, and visited Moose Factory, Medicine Hat, Sudbury, or Moncton.

3.(Addendum to one of the earler questions) If you’ve not only watched Telefrancais, but quite frequently address pineapples as Monsieur Ananas.

…if you can say Regina without giggling.

…if you have heard “Brocket 99”

Brilliant!

OK, who was Juliette? A hundred bonus points if you actually chose to watch her show (and not just because the tube was still on after the hockey game!)

ferd v. ford

Not really. :confused:

I’m going to have to go look up those dates - I’m sure I know the events in question, but I don’t do dates very well.

Okay, yeah, I did know about all of those events - I couldn’t have told you the dates they happened if you’d put a gun to my head, though.

You’re not going to take my citizenship toque away, are you? :smiley:

…that you know who Dr. Foth was, and where you could read his articles.

…and that’s the only piece of Canadian trivia this merkin knows.

Gosh, you have a Calgary in Canada too? Quelle surprise.

:smiley: