You want $1.30 a gallon???

And this is exactly on point. You can’t boycott one gas station.

But you certainly can boycot gasoline entirely, or cut your gasoline purchases dramatically. Take the bus, ride a bike, walk, get a moped, take the train, take the subway, move closer to work, get a job closer to home, telecommute, quit your job and stay home to watch your Stories full time.

Boycotting gasoline actually makes sense. Of course, you can’t boycott gas just be not buying gas for a week, then buying twice as much next week. You have to actually stop buying it. As in, doing without.

It’s America, you should be able to drive what you want. And I pretty much wouldn’t want to drive one a Prius. Ugly IMO. And I buy American.

[/QUOTE]
No, I’ll admit that I didn’t. Feel free to disregard that part of my pathetic rant. The rest, however, still applies.

Zev Steinhardt
[/QUOTE]
Zev, you weren’t wrong. The profit margin for gas is much lower than items sold in the quicky mart for the quicky mart - not necessarily for ExxonMobil, the actual target of the boycott. Gasoline at the pump is a loss leader (or a marginal profit maker) for the franchisee of the particular gas station. The reason it’s a loss leader is because the provider of the gasoline (here, ExxonMobil) charges the franchisee a high wholesale price, thereby taking the profits.

Sua

Gas stations make their money on cigarettes and sundries?
I never knew that.

I have never bought anything other than gas at a gas station. (maybe some gum, once in 1960-something). I consider gas stations to be dirty (they smell godawful). I no more want my milk to come from there than I do my bread or magazines.

People shop at gas stations? (you guys are blowing my mind).
I must live in a small world.

Toyota hybrids are made in Kentucky.

And you chewed that gum for 20 minutes? :smiley:

Yes, but if you can drive what you want, shouldn’t you also be prepared to pay the consequences, in this case spending more money on gasoline?

I hear the Senate is considering sending every American $100 to cover gas increase and they are talking about more hearings from the oil companies. Why is it so hard for some people to accept that oil prices are going to continue to climb and less fuel efficient vehicles are going to continue to cost more to operate?

Not for nothing but have you seen the price of gas in Venezuela . Its $0.14 per gallon. Guess they worked out the refining costs.

Sorry that link didn’t require registration when I found it. But the fact remains that oil companies in this country are making huge profits.

Back when gas was still around a dollar a gallon, I knew a gas station owner. He told me he made more money off a Three Musketeers bar than he did off a gallon of gas.

But how many gallons of gas did he sell compared to candy bars?

The sad part about it is that you realize this, but you just don’t care.

No, the sad part is that you believe that it’s true.

If I stopped using gas, why should I care what the hell it costs?

:wink:

Presumably because fuel prices are reflected in the prices of other items you do use.

What exactly is the stated reason that Exxonmobil is being boycotted, and not Shell or BP?

They’re the largest such company in the world and they reported record profits in the wake of two hurricanes.

No, it’s called government subsidies.

Sua

Chavez is subsidizing local voters at the expense of foreigners who want his oil. They didn’t “work out” anything. :wink:

Not even close.

XOM is the eighth largest oil company in the world - it’s 1/5th the size of the largest global oil company, Aramco.

And their “record profits” are only so on an unadjusted scale - in terms of margins, XOM barely makes 10% on its effort. Microsoft is far better, taking 31% of every dollar as profit. :cool:

Anyway, the price of oil is $71/barrel. There is 42 (IIRC) gallons per barrel. That comes to $1.69/gallon, pre-refining.

:rolleyes: