You want a pet WHAT?

Last night I was in the pet store buying food for my two sweethearts.

They were selling pet scorpions!

Who, in their right mind would keep a scorpion?

Probably the same people who want pet tarantulas.

Hey, and I’ve had pet mice, rats, lizards, snakes, etc. But “pet” arachnids?

Shudder. They are part of nature. Fine. And that’s where they belong.

Searching for the Raid,
Veb

When I was a boy, I had a pet tarantula. I built a cage out of popsicle sticks for him.

Somehow, it managed to escape one day, and my Mom swept and vacuumed every inch of the house every day for weeks. She was terrified that it would crawl into her bed or something.

We never did find it, and I was not allowed to get another.

I thought she was being unreasonable about it, but never said so. Bringing up the subject would have been suicide.

I know someone who has a pet scorpion. He thinks that they are cool. Whatever!

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

Mundane pointless aside:
Did you know that scorpions glow under a black light?
'Tis true, I’ve seen it with me own eyes. In fact, different species glow different colors, biologists are not sure what evolutionary advantage this might give.

Now I can see not wanting any snakes spiders or lizards etc, but I can’t see being cool with snakes and lizards but up tight about scopions or tarantulas, but then I never really met a lifeform I didn’t like,
Larry

A friend of mine had pet black widow spiders! He would feed them crickets. I thought it was odd. To me scorpions belong in the wild. If it has the possibility of stinging someone, it belongs outside, not in the house.

Nah,

If you have a scorpion, you can build a cage out of popsic…

Never mind!

I was kind of imagining these were whip scorpions, which have a whip for a tail instead of a stinger. So there’s no physical danger. Plus, scorpions are every bit as cuddly as lobsters.

Okay, I can’t imagine getting attached to anything with that many legs. Although when I used to have roach problems I kept wondering if I could by some roach-eating spiders to release in my kitchen. Kind of a drastic thing to do, but I’ll take furry-with-eight-eyes over brown-and-crawls-on-my-dishes any day.

When I lived in Florida we noticed that the roach situation seemed smaller in the kitchen than the rest of the house, then one night my brother in law stumbled into the kitchen about 3 AM and spotted a large hunting spider with a roach in it’s mouth dive behind the stove. We left that boy alone!

I don’t really get wanting a scorpion for a pet either, but one pet shop owner told me that what you do to protect yourself is snip off the tip of the stinger. The stinger is so blunt then that it can’t puncture the skin.

Solving a problem I’d rather not have in the first place. But I have had a couple snakes. But they keep running away.

And yes, I’ve heard the jokes about “running.”

Ivick, you haven’t met a lifeform you didn’t like? How about Palidors, Mr Rogers AWC and Brithael?

One complete set of morals for sale to highest bidder, new in box.

So that means you actually have to pick it up, right? Ewwwww. Nope. Not me.

You big baby!

Afraid of an itty-bitty little scorpion with enough venom it’s tail to cause you to die in agony.

Wimp!

According to the Pope, a woman can be a saint, but not a priest.

Well Uncle Beer, perhaps I should have said species, I reserve the right to dislike individuals within it, OTOH I’ve never actually met the people you list, in my experience people are at least a little different IRL,
Larry

My ex-bf (no, not the twisted and evil one) had a pet tarantula. Now, I like invertebrates as a rule. I even like most arachnids. But that thing gave me the creeps. It ate baby mice, and it didn’t even have the common decency to kill them quickly. The poor things would be stumbling around the spider cage for hours, blind and half-paralyzed from the venom. :frowning: Why anybody would want a pet like that is beyond me.

“Had I been around at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.”

• Alfonso X

Yeah! I’m a wimp! And I’m alive to tell everyone what a big wussy I am! So there! :wink:

I guess some people will take just about anything for a pet.

But scorpions? Even a Beanie Babies weren’t able to make a scorpion look cute.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

I read that if you put a drop of liquor on a scorpion, it will get drunk and go crazy when it licks it off. I asked that guy if we could try it but he thought I was weird (he has a pet scorpion and I’m weird!)!

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

Of course we all know that scorpions have different levels of toxicity and that the ones found in the US aren’t capable of inflicting more than a bee sting, don’t we.

Another mundane pointless aside:
Does anyone remember Harry Hamlin, IIRC, fighting giant scorps in Clash of the Titans? Talk about arachnaphobia,
Larry

Fretful,
that’s life in the wild wild west. Awhile back I happened across a hunting wasp that was dragging a tarantula off the road. The story goes that she’ll paralize it without killing, lay eggs that will hatch and eat the non-vital organs first in order to preseve the living, but paralyzed, host for as long as possible. Nature is blissfully amoral,
Larry