Young Republicans More Likely To Be Socially Moderate

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/us/politics/young-republicans-erase-lines-on-social-issues.html

Interesting article on how young Republicans (and Millenials in general) are more likely to be socially moderate. Speaking on a personal level I find this more or less accurate-the only issue I’m really socially conservative on is abortion. However I’m not a Ron Paul style neo-isolationist or an Austrian school laissez-faire advocate though.

In addition I find that at least on a national level Republican administrations have failed or simply not pursue socially conservative policies-although its true that some socially conservative measures have been passed on the state level.

I think there is a growing faction of *corporate * (economic) conservatives - e.g. Mitt Romney. It’s not limited to the young.

However, the social conservative part of the Republican Party is still very vocal. You can see this during the primary, in which Romney was running well to the right on social issues. His record says liberal on social issues though.

…Yeah. Read that the other day. I wonder what’s wrong with this picture?

I’m totally reminded of the almost the EXACT same piece written a few years ago. Let’s see if I can find it.

One reason for that is that states rights are a big part of the Republican platform in regard to social issues.

That’s really nothing new. Been that way at least since I was an undergrad during the '84 election. The student body voted for Reagan 80-20 in a mock election on campus, and weekend parties could make *Animal House *look tame by comparison. Lots of drugs, sex, and rock & roll going on. Ahhhh…college.

Bah. I’m far too lazy to keep looking for this now. In the meantime, I don’t care for the article (obviously), but two things I just have to respond to.

So are younger Democrats. And Independents. In fact, younger people are more likely to say those are changes for the better, period.

Okay. So pro-gay marriage, anti-abortion, pro-second Amendment, pro-states rights. Obviously, Susan didn’t fully think this one through when writing her article.

(BTW> I’m not sure how you get “many” from three, but okay. Whatever makes you happy.)

I’ll believe it when I see results. These aren’t people fighting for moderation on social issues. They’re people who don’t want to look like bigots in front of their gay friends while still supporting a party that campaigns on outright homophobia. So they personally disavow those views. They say “I’m really more of a libertarian than a conservative.” And in the privacy of the voting booth, they vote for whatever socially conservative candidate the Republicans put up. The GOP brand is largely toxic to millenial college students, and those that support the party try to distance themselves from it. But they aren’t doing much of anything to change it.

I have to imagine that this is usually the case. Young people are generally going to be more socially moderate then their parents.

There are exceptions, of course. I’d say the one generation that bucked the trend would be the Baby Boomers. They, as kids in the 60’s where arguably more socially moderate than their Gen X children in the 90’s.

60’s stereotype: Long haired hippy with daisy.
90’s stereotype: Chinos and button down shirt wearing kid who graduates college early to get in on the dotcom boom.

It’s about as sad to see a young Republican as it is to see a young smoker. Racism and homophobia are not unheard of in the younger generation, these are the primary attitudes that bend one toward Republicanism. That some may harbor some socially moderate views isn’t that encouraging. They’re still voting for the American Taliban.

So, the 48-52% or so of voters in the upcoming election that vote Republican are all racist and homophobic?

It must be tough for you, living in a country so surrounded by by hordes of evil people.

Or maybe, just maybe, not everyone who disagrees with you is a Hitler youth.

As I’ve said many times, you don’t need to be racist to be a Republican, but you nearly have to be a Republican to be racist.

Ah, argumentum ad absurdum. Haven’t seen that one in a while.

Let’s talk again after the Republican Party Platform is finalized sometime next month, and then we’ll play “Spot the young Republicans promoting socially moderate positions in the Convention hall.” You take socially moderate signage and I’ll take electric scooters. The most spotted wins. Deal?

Except that the socially ultra-conservative candidates aren’t winning the youth vote. I don’t see many young people being enthusiastic for Rick Santorum or Michele Bachman or them making up the ranks of the Tea Party.

Nowadays, at any rate.

Nm

Hey, he said it. I don’t need to twist or expand upon his statement to make it absurd. It was already there. I just pointed it out.

If the YRs are true to their economic convictions - ie: to what’s called free market policy today - they will, I am pretty certain, become socially conservative.

Economic darwinism - the idea that help for the weak hurts everybody - is now a core principle of fiscal conservatism. If one strives for consistency in one’s beliefs, social darwinism almost inevitably follows economic.

Which is ironic, given how many Republicans reject real Darwinism.

Science is like the Bible. You pick and choose while defending the supreme authority of the whole. The end - getting people to stop questioning - justifies the means.