Your car nemesis

Audis and rental trucks

Yeah, tenacious bastards. Hard to lose in traffic.

In Anchorage it was pickups, especially red pickups. It always gave me much happiness to see them in the ditch after the first snowfall. For some reason, they think that AWD also means all wheel stop, and then gravity and coefficient of friction makes them their bitch.

I drive a Prius and have Oregon plates. I’m probably the least arrogant driver you can imagine, but I agree that people here largely have no idea about the rules of the road. They don’t stop when they should, and, equally annoying, do stop when they shouldn’t. They also cut corners when turning, which results in some fairly interesting head-on collisions with people waiting at stop signs. I’m always thankful that I don’t have to commute.

Minivans
BMWs
Large GM SUVs like Tahoes and Suburbans
Toyotas in general
Cars with missing or damaged bodywork

Contractor vans and trucks, including:

These almost invariably have a rack on the top for ladders or large equipment, and are nearly always white in color.

Why are they my nemeses? Because they’re usually driven by guys who are going to / from a job site, which means that they are usually driving (a) 5 mph under the speed limit (bad thing to risk a ticket when you’re driving the work vehicle, I guess), and (b) as though they don’t seem to know exactly where they’re going.

I’ve owned multiple BMWs and seeing another was always a sign bad behavior was imminent - it was depressing. And it often threw off other drivers when I didn’t drive as selfishly - I remember many a person gunning it to beat me to some spot, only to be shocked that I was driving normally and waiting my turn.

And, being in a large city, I’ve got the same arch-foe as everyone else - cab drivers, who will happily risk killing you for a $10 fare because “I’m trying to feed my family!” :rolleyes:

My wife drives a Prius, and isn’t an asshole at all. I have a Honda Civic hybrid, and I have to say it has way less power than the Prius, and somehow also gets much worse gas mileage. For the record, I’m also not an asshole, though maybe some would disagree. Bastards, all of them.

My personal peeves are BMWs, giant SUV “Compensators”, and Zonies, i.e., cars with Arizona plates. They all drive different versions of crappily. I used to hate minivans too, especially ones driven by “O, death where is thy sting?” soccer moms conveying a dozen or so prepubescent girls. I haven’t noticed that being as much of a problem lately though. Maybe I’ve subconsciously learned to avoid their routes.

Hey! :mad:

Double Hey! :mad::mad: I do not talk on my phone while driving, nor do I litter.

I tend to stay away from Toyota Camerys. I also used to hate how Ohio drivers used to sit in the far left lane and do the speed limit, and do that for miles even with no one around. They seemed to have stopped that though.

I thought I’d escaped notice until this post, since I’m a contractor and drive vans (and until recently a pickup truck) with ladder racks on top.
But I’m female, so does that let me off the hook?
Also I don’t drive overly-slowly or cluelessly. :slight_smile:

I can’t pinpoint any particular vehicle which tends to have drivers who act like idiots. Driving is an equal-opportunity activity.

Maybe riced-up cars, if anything.

Perhaps you, my friend, are the exception which proves the rule. :smiley:

I only started having to drive any distance to work 2.5 years ago (before then, I worked in downtown Chicago, and commuted by train). Now, I have a 25-mile commute, most of which is on non-Interstate four-lane highway, with a speed limit of between 40 and 55 mph, depending on the section.

I find myself encountering a white contractor vehicle, putting along at 5 to 10 under the limit in the left lane (and occasionally making very quick lane changes), at least once a day during my commute (mostly in the morning). It’s gotten to the point that, if I see a white contractor vehicle up the road ahead of me, I look to change lanes right away, because once I get up closer, odds seem to be pretty good that I’ll discover that it’s one of those pokey-joe guys. :slight_smile:

Any car with Indiana tags being driven in Chicago. Roads with two or or more lanes are just too confusing for them.

Confirmation bias, I know.

I try, I try! :smiley: I actually have somewhat of a lead foot but it depends what I am driving.

Well as long as the pokey-joes are sticking to the right lanes, I guess that is fine.
When I had guys working for me who drove one of the work vans, I’d be all over him if he speeded or otherwise drove like a twit in one of my vehicles. So I see both sides.

Cars with diplomat plates, which are unfortunately not uncommon in the DC area. Always going 15 mph under the limit and being driven in a ponderous, oblivious manner.

Cadillac Escalades. I’ve never seen one that wasn’t being operated in an asshole manner.

Honda Civics or Accords with spoilers, lowered suspensions, and/or more than one color on the panels.

Taxis. They’re either 20 under or 20 over the limit, driving in two lanes at once, weaving all over the road, driver on the phone or fiddling with GPS or meter, turning left from the right lane or vice versa, crossing 5 lanes of highway in 200 feet to get to an exit, stopping randomly, etc. I try to pass as quickly as possible.

In my experience with German cars, it’s the Mercedes drivers who are the biggest assholes, followed by BMW, and then Audi, more of which seem to drive like grandmas. Which also makes me crazy. Your car was built for the Autobahn, you idiot, why are you doing 20 on a Beltway merge ramp?

Chevy TrailBlazers

And panel vans always make me nervous

Oh! I forgot Subarus. Soccer moms in Outbacks are horrible drivers, and they all seem to be speeding. My sister was one of them; I was always terrified when I rode with her, as she sped and tailgated something awful.

HipGnosis’s Trailblazers comment reminded me of another: a Venn diagram showing which Chevrolet Avalanche drivers are also douchebags would basically be one circle.

I didn’t feel comfortable making a blanket statement about the assholity of a specific type of vehicle operator until I read this.
mmm

Tuner cars with HUGE tailpipes. The people think their Civic is a race-car and are unpredictable.

Oh, and Prius’ - those people think it is a race-car, too. It’s like “Hey, I get 50 miles to the gallon so I can floor it all the time”. Thanks for the smuggy.

I spent last year riding one (sold it over the winter). Being part of the scene for a riding season, it becomes clear that sportbikes exacerbate the problem with exotic sports cars - the operator has nowhere near the talent to ride/drive them well. With a Carrera GT or Ferrari 458, the high price thins the herd. Unfortunately, someone in their 20s can buy a used sportbike faster than all but the most exclusive exotic cars for four or five grand - it’s scary in all sorts of ways. I liked the bike, but exploiting its abilities on the street safely was impossible for me and I didn’t feel like doing the track thing, so I moved it on.

The nemesis of my Honda Del Sol is the Mazda MX. No real reason why, it just seems appropriate.