Your Coolest Wooden Box

Without being so unfair as delving into my collection of over 10,000 wooden cigar boxes (no cardboard allowed!), I’ll ask everyone else about their most weird and strange wooden boxes. Mine (as a kitchen freak):[ul][li] A small 11" x 6" x 3" deep open top rough hewn pine. As a cooking enthusiast, I’m happy to print out the words repeated the four panels:[list]1 DOZEN 2 - oz BOTTLES[/li]BOVRIL FLUID EXTRACT OF BEEF
PRODUCT OF ENGLAND
MADE BY BOVRIL LTD., LONDON, ENGLAND

[li] PRODUCT OF[/li] ENGLAND

[li] 1 DOZEN 2 - oz BOTTLES[/li]BOVRIL FLUID EXTRACT OF BEEF
WITH DEHYDRATED BEEF
PRODUCT OF ENGLAND
MADE BY BOVRIL LTD., LONDON, ENGLAND

[li] PRODUCT OF[/li] ENGLAND[/ul]
Did I mention this was a product of England?

I’ll add more about some of my wacky cigar boxes in another post. I used to think that my old style wooden Velveeta or cream cheese boxes were cool until I latched onto this one from Bovril. It seems to accommodate almost two dozen of the spice containers I use and fits into its cupboard rather well. I think I’ll keep it.

What’s your own favorite wooden box?

Gunslinger made me a wooden box. He cut the wood he used for it too, IIRC. It has a little lip inside to support a small tray to hold tiny things, and the lid is hinged and everything is perfectly lined up. And the exposed nailheads add a certain je ne sais quois. That is my favorite wooden box.

Once upon a time, I had another wooden box which had once belonged to one of my grandfathers; it was lockable, and full of tiny little compartments, including one which was hidden under two others which were the only bits in the box which lifted completely out of it to reveal the lid to that compartment. (Sorry the description is so unclear. I can’t think how to better describe it.) I don’t know where that one went, though.

I found my favorite wooden box at a thrift store. It used to be a music box, but I had to take the insides out because the music part was pretty trashed.

It’s about 6 inches by 4 inches. Approx 3 inches deep. The top is divided into 12 raised squares that have zodiac symbols on them. The sides are a gold color and the top has a blue background with black and gold colored symbols.

I am a container freak. If you can put stuff in it, I’ll probably love it. I love tins, cigar boxes, bowls, little trinket boxes of any kind.

Welcome aboards(s), Tamarin!

You are doomed, I tell you, doomed!

I have tins, boxes, canisters, bottles, phials, cylinders, volumetric flasks, tubes, flaques, jars plus every other sort of doodad, geegaw, gimcrack, whatsamawhoser and whoopdeedo you can think of. At the Cupertino Goodwill, I recently picked up a fine condition miniature Guerlain Shalimar crystal eau de parfume dram for all of 99¢. You may become envious now.

Pshaw, Zenster. I got me two (count 'em, TWO!) beautifully dovetailed Habana Gold wooden cigar boxes at my local thrift for 22 cents each. And a neato wine box with a sliding lid and two lengthwise compartments for 44 cents.

My favorite wooden box though was a gift from a friend. I would have sworn it was finely tooled leather, but it is solid wood and it has a really cool hook-and-ring closure. The carving on it is very shallow, and it’s all little paisleys with a carved beaded edge. Just beautiful! As an added bonus, it was full of gorgeous carved antique mother-of-pearl buttons!

I have a cool japanese puzzle box. Also an old mexican ‘treasure’ box.

Boxes make great gifts for kids, too.

Does a chest count? My current favorite box is a hope chest which my Sweety made for my daughter as a high school graduation gift.

The outside is made of oak, which he finished in a gorgeous honey color. The inside is all made of cedar - smells so delicious when you open it. He even put some bun feet on it.

OOOOOOhh.

Made mine in 8th grade woodshop. 6x8x4 inches. Lined it with black velvet. Carved some sort of bird/pheonix on top. Got an ‘A’.

Or the cigar boxes my grampa left. Use them for nails and such.

I have a bread box, but it’s bigger than a bread box. It’s more of a bread crate. My grandmother’s family owned a local enterprise named “Regan Bread Company” and the bread was shipped around to local stores in the 3’x2’x2’ crates by a fleet of trucks, the kind of trucks you see in Oliver and Hardy episodes. Our family has three. It’s a contentious because there are five kids. Before anyone really cared, I took the crappiest one and refurbished it. I pretty much took it apart, cleaned and sanded it, and lined it with felt. My parents agreed that my early initiative and interest gaurantees me mine. Major battles have been fought over the other two. With one walking off into my sisters house in the middle of the night. :open_mouth: I’m pretty happy I nabbed mine when I did, I didn’t think it would ever be a big deal. It is currently an end table in my living room.

Mmmmmm… extracted fluid.

I have an old wooden chick incubator that’s been turned into a side table next to the couch. It still has the old galvanized trim around a hole for the warming light, slightly faded paint advertising the maker and a glass front behind which I’ve placed a couple of nice rock specimens from my fairly extensive collection (geologist here). It also has a nice small swiveling ledge underneath that I can place a glass of wine on that stays hidden from our 3 year old and thus keeps mommy’s carpet a single color.

A little puzzle box that has sliding partions and sides that need to be engaged in an exact order for it to open.

10,000 cigar boxes?? Where do you keep all of them? Assuming your average box runs 6" x 9" x 2.5" they would fill a 10’ x10’ room to the ceiling!

Oh goodie! Others who collect containers!

Sentimental favorite: My grandpa’s “whatsit” box. He made it out of ash with a hinged lid. He kept all of his “Whatsits” in it (extra buttons, change, tie pins…). Still smells of Aqua Velva.

Purdy favorite: At a flea market I picked up a japanned laquer box, about 10" x 6" x 4" for $1.00. It matches a tray my mom bought in 1957.

Otherwise favorite: A teeny tiny (1" x 1" x 1") clear glass box. Found at a rummage sale, I believe. I keep teeny seed beads of many colors.

My boss taught me how to make a really cool kind of box that is a 12-sided polyhedron.
You cut out 12 diamonds with a very specific angle for the points as well as a very specific miter angle.
Once they are all cut, you can glue the whole lot together into two symmetric pieces that slide together in a cool fashion. Few people can open the box without fussing with it for awhile.

Years ago I learned how to make a cute kind of box as follows: Make a square or rectangular box out of some interesting wood, without a top. Flip the box over and cut off the top corners at a 45-degree angle (the cut should go an inch or so up the edge of the box). Now glue oversized pieces of another species on the freshly-cut surfaces and trim the overhangs flush with all surfaces.
Make a top to fit and sand everything so that the edges are nice and flush. You end up with a spiffy box with an octoganal top with nice contrasting woods.

Cheflady brought a small wood box to the marriage that she had found in her great-aunt’s attic. It was covered with green paint, which she carefully removed, that hid a nice box made of dark wood that is inlaid with lighter woods.

She carted the thing around for about 30 years, keeping paperclips and such in it, and it had been sitting on a shelf in the garage for about three years when one of those traveling appraisal shows came to town. Just for fun, she scooped the box up on the way out the door and took it to the show.

Well, it turns out to be an 1850’s vintage letter box (please don’t start with the ‘death rays’ again), worth about $600. It probably came over from Poland with an ancestor. It now sits in the living room in an appropriate place of honor.

I also love the antique chest with the brass corners and handles from India that my wife bought me.

I was asked to haul some junk to the dump by an older woman, one thing was a small bookcase covered with wallpaper.

When I threw it out, it broke into thirds. It was made up of 3 Hercules Explosives crates. Nitro or Dynamite had came in them years ago. The top and bottom were pretty rough, but the middle one was perfectly preserved. I gave the top and bottom to a couple of buddies, kept the middle one.

It is about 1/2" too narrow to hold albums…drat it!! It’s a neat nick nack holder.

A nice shallow laquered cigar box with a huge “Cusano” decal. It’s where I keep my RPGing dice and miniatures.

I put a nice latch on the outside, and lined the interior with a textured fabric remnant using a hot glue gun.

There’s a store that sells these boxes for a buck each near me.

I’ve used cigar boxes on several occasions to give gifts, including the best men at my wedding.

It’s ironic that I can only afford the box, and not what came in the box.

My father opened a grocery, seed and feed store in the rural South during the Depression. It was the gathering place for many of the men in the town for thirty-six years. I have my father’s wooden receipt box from that store.

It’s probably five by eight with hinges on one of the short sides. The bottom has an open slot to allow rods and a clamp to keep the files tight.

It is stamped with the name of his “Cash” grocery in the inside top. That makes me smile. He was the kind of fella that let a farmer charge when times were hard and pay when times were good. He also let some people “take” food for their children when he knew they could never pay him back.

I didn’t find out about these things from him – but from the people of the town and from my mother.

Thank you Zenster! I’m enjoying myself here.
I am green with envy by the way. I love containers, but miniature containers are even better!

One of my friends has a box once used for smuggling. of narcotics. It was a box concealed inside a specially-designed book, that looked like a fancy bookmark, until you found the way to open the sliding compartment. It’s pretty fuckin’ cool.

My coolest wooden box is, in fact, a ceramic teapot and creamer and sugar bowl.

When I graduated, my husband went to pick out a wooden jewelry box for me. He couldn’t find one he liked, so he got me a gift certificate to that particular gallery so I could go back later and look at them myself and choose one.

I looked several times but decided there was no box I would like as well as one he might make me (he’d a woodworker, but generally does furniture and bigger-scale things). So I used the money to buy a Michael Lambert tea set. It rocks.