Your favorite sport sucks too, SUCKA!

hardygrrl, you can touch me anytime.

:wink:

Yeah, I know - way too easy.

Matt and Jeff were very nice (truthfully they seemed a little shy) and actually not as big in person as I thought they would be. This was a couple of years ago and they had not yet won their first tag titles. They had very strong southern accents and I wondered if that might not work against them. Now when I see them cutting promos (and doing a good job at it as well), it makes me think that WWF must have worked with them because the accents do not seem as strong on TV.

I actually had a pic of me with the Hardys, but I lost it (along with many other treasured pictures) in the move. Sucks.

Luv 'em Hardys.

• NM

[hijack]

NothingMan

I envy you still. I just have to meet Jeff, Rob Van Dam and Spike Dudley. THen I’ll feel complete. :slight_smile:

[sub]Had the chance to go the the hotel the Hardyz stay at the last time the WWF was in town but the person I went with had to work so I couldn’t go.[/sub]

[/hijack]

I never denied that wrestling requires skill. However, the “competition” does not evaluate those skills. If you are going to expand the definition (in the arena of sports) of “competition” to include behind-the-scenes politicing then what I do every day in board rooms is a sport. I better get me a promoter and a ring-side announcer.

It’s fun to watch. My favorite episode was when Edge and Christian were playing Siskel&Ebert while watching what was likely interveiw auditions from the Hardy Boys. They were really bad, and Edge and Christian were making the most hilariously humiliating comments. The Hardy’s are great high-flyers, but still need work on interview. Jeff should have just said “I’m poking Lita! Can you top that.”

That was the problem with Kevin and Kerry Von-Erich. Great athletes, but the most boring wrestlers about trash talking.

Muhammed Ali attempted to make boxing colorful outside the ring. George Foreman got good when he was older. Mike Tyson is a heel in real life and downright scary, but none have the flair that pro wrestlers have.

I have to agree with Mr. Fusciatrist about the sport thing. If the outcome is predetermined, it is not a sport, in my book.

That is not to say that many, if not most, pro wrestlers are not excellent athletes and showmen. I have no doubt that the worst student at Wrestling U. could kick my ass from here to Friday. I also realize that I would probably not have the same camera/arena presence that those guys have. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be entertained by watching both of those skills displayed.

I just don’t consider it a sport. Bowling is a sport (or atleast a contest) Golf is a sport. High School/College wrestling are sports. The big difference for pro wrestling is that there is not a contest of athletic ability involved in the ring. The wrestler who outperforms the other one does not necessarily win.

That said, the few times I have watched pro wrestling, I was amused, but I just never felt the need to seek it out.

Is the outcome of a professional wrestling match pretermined? I’m serious…I want to know…

Let me check the secret files…

Makes a good point that is acknowledged- 50 points
Refers to self as “newbie”-------------- -30 points

Two steps forward and one step back, but you’re getting there! :slight_smile:

Yes, they always know who is going to win before the match. The wrestlers practice together on a daily basis to make sure the match looks good.

Yeah! What really gets me is the people (often fans of road course racing) who’ll say “driving around in circles all day is easy, even I could do that”. Really? Then why aren’t you out there earning millions? Are you still waiting on that call from Ferrari to take over Shumi’s F1 seat?

actually,

is generally incorrect. There are basically three “classes” of wrestler.

C - e.g. Hulk Hogan - these wrestlers whisper pretty much every move to the other wrestler throughout the match, and do indeed practice together (Hogan and Warrior’s Wrestlemania 6 match was practiced for weeks)

B - e.g. Chris Jericho - Call the majority of spots

A - e.g. HHH - Call few to little spots.

(a spot being a move or sequence of moves)

A problem can occur when a wrestler is working with someone of a different “class”, and have to adapt accordingly.