Your favorite villains

So weaselly, so self-serving. He was so greasy-good!

Bernie Madoff
Havey Weinstein
Ed Gein

Can you hear those names without your stomach turning?

I’m amazed it took 30 posts before Darth Vader.

And how about GLaDOS, from the Portal games?

Terry Thomas as Sir Percy Ware-Armitage in Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

When he allows his henchman Courtney to participate in sabotage he warns: ‘Alright then but don’t expect treats like this everytime’

Hey, what about villainesses?

Sian Phillips as Livia Augusta in I, Claudius: (To Claudius about the Roman Senate) “They won’t let me in because I’m a woman, and they won’t let you in because you’re a fool. Which is strange when you come to think of it, because the Senate is filled with nothing but old women and fools.”

Angela Lansbury as Raymond Shaw’s mother in The Manchurian Candidate: “And when I take power, they will be pulled down and ground into the dirt for what they did to you, and for so contemptuously underestimating me.”

And how about Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?: “But ya are, Blanche! Ya are in that chair!”

In the Masterpiece Theater production I, Claudius, I think that Livia was the “best” villian. She even beat out Caligula, her grandson, in my humble opinion. Sian Phillips was a splendid actress, and played the character from her early 40’s to her 90’s.

OMG, I didn’t read the previous post, and saw Livia was just mentioned! :dizzy_face:

The Gentlemen, on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I recently binge-watched Xena: Warrior Princess from start to finish, after not having seen it since the original run (when, for a lot of reasons, I had a whole different perspective on it). When Xena was evil in the flashback episodes, she was pretty damnable. I hadn’t remembered how really, truly awful she was-- or maybe I didn’t quite take it all in watching it week-to-week, but just now, I was thinking that the series ending made more sense in that she spent the six years of the series trying to redeem herself-- but if the flashbacks are reliable, she was teetering on the edge of irredeemability.

I’m actually not entirely settled in my mind that she was redeemable.

Anyway, the evil Xena of the flashbacks is one of my favorite villains.

The Daleks are some of my favourite villains. Such snark!

“This is not WAR! This is PEST CONTROL!”
“You are superior in one respect…you are better at DYING!”

Bridget Gregory - The Last Seduction (1994)

I remember that exchange for its neat illustration of the distinction between would (intention) and would (prediction):

“You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?”
“We would destroy the Cybermen with ONE Dalek!”

Speaking of Doctor Who, how great was Tennant as Kilgrave? Incredible comic-book powers, being used for incredibly petty goals, all with a conversational mix of cockiness and self-deprecation that’s presumably evil gaslighting but could just be unimaginative laziness from a narcissist cheerfully buying his own hype.

Ed Gein harmed far fewer people than the other two. Mostly he was just into dress-up.

General Woundwort from Watership Down.

Mr. Morden from Babylon 5.

The Vashta Nerada from Doctor Who

Conrad Veidt as Major Strasser in Casablanca, as Cesare in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and as Grand Vizier Jaffar in The Thief of Bagdad.

That trailer gave away the main reveal of the movie!!

Stansfield in The Professional. Gary Oldman is superb in that movie.

Gary Oldman in The Professional.
Gary Oldman in The Fifth Element.
Gary Oldman in True Romance.

Gary Oldman in Lost in Space. (He’s not playing your typical Gary Oldman-style psychopath. He’s playing Doctor Smith! His Jonathan Harris impression is spot-on.)

THIS IS REALLY NOT SAFE FOR WORK OR MOST ANYWHERE ELSE

Rodney Dangerfield playing so far against type in Natural Born Killers. His performance is brilliant. But he is the embodiment of the slimy abusing father.

You want a slimy, abusive father, the top of the list is Donald Crisp in Broken Blossoms, 1919. He played very proper gentlemen in talkies mostly, after that, but he was over the top in Broken Blossoms, abusing Lillian Gish, provoking the famous “closet scene,” that Gish did in one take.

He was a pretty awful villain. Absolutely nothing redeemable about him whatsoever. It was all pre-Code, when you could get away with things that would be banned in the 30s and 40s-- there was a presumption that mainly adults, and certainly no young children, went to the movies, in the silent era, since you had to read fairly well to follow them, so there was a sort of “natural Code.”