Your Favorite Year

All this Oscar talk got me thinking—you frequently read about 1939 being “Hollywood’s Golden Year,” but for my money, more films were released in 1932 that I love than any other I can think of. Doing a search on IMDB, look at this collection of star-packed pre-Code honeys, all of which I have seen and can vouch for:

Are You Listening?, As You Desire Me, The Beast of the City, A Bill of Divorcement, Blonde Venus, Call Her Savage, Downstairs, Freaks, Grand Hotel, The Greeks Had a Word for Them, The Half-Naked Truth, The Heart of New York, Horse Feathers, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, If I Had a Million, Love Me Tonight, The Mask of Fu Manchu, Million Dollar Legs, The Mummy, Night After Night, Night Court, One Hour with You, One-Way Passage, The Purchase Price, Rain, Red Dust, Red-Headed Woman, Scarface, Shanghai Express, Tarzan the Ape Man, Thirteen Women, Three On a Match, What Price Hollywood?, and half-a-dozen Betty Boop cartoons.

Bite that, 1939. But tastes differ. What is your favorite movie year?

Just as a note, anyone who loves movies needs to see quite a few on this list, so 1932 is great year to start off the challenge. I’ll be back tomorrow with more contenders, including 1944.