Your Favourite Bowie Studio Albums

Inspired by this thread

• Studio albums only (based on the wikipedia list).
  • Multiple choice allowed or rather encouraged.

I only voted once. Diamond Dogs. Pretty much because my older brother bought the album and I used to listen to it a lot.

Oops. Too late.

Voted for Hunky Dory, but could have easily picked ten or so.

Diamond Dogs is very much my favorite, followed by Station to Station and Aladdin Sane.

Bowie Fan Confession Time: I don’t like the Berlin Trilogy too much, despite them being generally considered his most “artistic” and among his best work. I think it’s because both Low and ‘Heroes’ are half-instrumental, and instrumental music generally doesn’t do much for me.

*Low *is my favorite, and the one that first really won me over to Bowie. I haven’t heard the new one in its entirety yet, but I’m extremely impressed by what I’ve heard.

Low was the first one that I bought as a new album. Loved it. Loved almost all of his stuff but Low always has a special place for me.

How could Diamond Dogs fans not be into Alladin Sane? Mike Garson unleashed???

Fuckin’ Garson, man. Fuckin’ genius.

Low and Station to Station are my favorites.

I prefer Diamond Dogs over Aladdin Sane. I don’t know why, but I’ve always felt Aladdin Sane was weaker than Diamond Dogs. Maybe because I like the songs on it better.

It’s like Bowie turned to Garson and said “okay, what if Thelonius Monk played glam rock?” and turned him loose. Love his work - Aladdin Sane is the obvious track, but the piano on Let’s Spend the Night Together is so…fun.

I know it may sound trite to pick “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars” but I could listen to that album over and over and never get sick of it. In fact I just did listen to it! :slight_smile:

IMO it’s Garson’s piano that ties that album together. Even in the songs he doesn’t play on, you can hear where it isn’t, if that makes any sense.

Oh absolutely. Jean Genie sounds positively streamlined without Garson’s edgy piano.

Richard John Marcej - not trite at all. It will always be, along with the song Heroes, the songs of his I hold closest.

He never wrote songs like he did when he was with Ronson and Garson again. They were the artists on those records too. Don’t care what the critics say now.

“But where were the Spiders!!..”

Mine were Ziggy Stardust (of course),* Aladdin Sane* (of course), Black Tie White Noise, Buddha of Suburbia, and The Next Day. The only one on the list I haven’t heard is *Blackstar *and I need to wait a while before I’m ready to listen to it.

I voted for several, but Scary Monsters and (Super Creeps) would be first choice.

I don’t care if it’s conventional - Ziggy Stardust. Hunky Dory comes in second.

I’m pretty much enamored of it all, at least through Scary Monsters. There are times when I have listened to just about any of those records, with the exception of Low, which never did much for me, almost obsessively. I picked The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Diamond Dogs, Station to Station.

Comparing the 5 albums I picked with the ones that are in the lead for the moment is interesting.

Mine were:

Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Low, Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), Outside.

The ones at the top of the poll are:

Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Heroes, Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane/Low (the last two are tied).

It’s not surprising that Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars are at second and first place respectively as these are two amazing records . However, I put the former on top.

Then we diverge completely.

Heroes is third in the poll but, while I admit that it contains a lot of excellent tracks, I’ve always prefered Low by far.

Diamond Dogs comes next but it’s an album that I’ve never really warmed to. I offer Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) instead, often considered the “last truly great Bowie album”. In fact, I’m rather surprised to see that it got only 11 votes so far. As far as I’m concerned, it’s in my top 3, with Hunky Dory and Low. There isn’t one weak song in any of these three in my opinion.

Number 5 is Aladdin Sane for the moment and it’s an album I haven’t listened to very often. My fifth choice was Outside because it contains some really great songs and it showed a renewed artistic ambition. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, several Bowie albums have been described as “a return to form” but I think that Outside is the only one that deserves to be called that. It could arguably compare with his 1970s output. I’m glad to see that some other dopers agree.

Then, perhaps it’s no wonder that Garson also plays on Outside, which is both one of my favourites and the post-Let’s Dance album that got the most votes so far.