Your idea of a weak album start

I’m not familiar with the Who tune, but I definitely know Sugar’s remake, but then again, put Bob Mould’s buzzsaw guitar on the phone book, and he could make it sound good.

No Son of Mine is a really dark song and an interesting choice to lead off We Can’t Dance by Genesis. You have to sing along with the deadbeat dad in the chorus, ‘You’re NO son, NO son of mine…’

You…you what now? You don’t get a mental slideshow of humanity from cavedays through to McMansions? At the very end when the electric guitar kicks in I get an image of a 747 touching down onto a scorching runway as the rest of the album “arrives” to re-teach us about music. I mean, the rest of the album kicks royal ass without mercy but Procession ties it all together before it even gets started. Jesus Hannibal Christ on a purple plastic crutch do you chop Late Lament off of Nights in White Satin as well?

[all good-natured ribbing, but with a considerable amount of judgment]

Seconding!

I understand what it’s doing there, and I’m not arguing that it shouldn’t be, but I still usually skip it.

10cc’s first album starts out with “Johnny Don’t Do It,” a 50s death rock parody of no particular note. Not terrible, but Zappa did the style better with Cruising with Rueben and the Jets. The album only kicks off with the next track, “Sand in My Face.”

nm Wrong Thread

While “Two of Us” is a perfectly ok number in of itself, I can spot six other numbers off Let it Be I’d rather kick the lp off with.*

*OMG what will happen if anyone dares question my sentence ending with a preposition.

Would you start with Get Back and have Let it Be as the closer?

Almost perfect suggestion.

Thirded!

That is an awesome song! The slow, gradual build, complete with the tension of his great vocals and lyrics. It is a fantastic album opener.

Different strokes I guess.

Just thought of another one. I quite like the Run Devil Run album by Paul McCartney but I would not have Blue Jean Bop as the opener. The second song is the more upbeat She Said Yeah would have been a better choice.

That’s exactly what they did for the 2003 rerelease.