Your social comfort level once vaxed

nm. Inadvertant duplicate posr.

The director made her point quite clear. Then you say that something is " the truth is astoundingly, stupendously, breathtakingly awesome," and I am stumped. Are you saying that her statement is that truth? Or that something that contradicts her statement? I’m stumped. If you aver that she is wrong, disingenuous, stupid… just say so.

No, they would declare they’re 99.9% certain. That’s math, that’s probability, that’s how you state it. Saying “uncertain” at 99.9% certainty is bad science. Some level of uncertainty is a given.

No, I’m saying that her statement is incorrect and not supported by the study in question. I’m also saying that had she stated the facts laid out in the study, it would have still been great news, but factual as well.

If I really need to explain the difference between “do not carry” and “almost never carry”, then I’m obviously expressing myself poorly here.

One states that the event doesn’t occur. The other states that the event rarely occurs.

I never made any such claim. In fact, I stated that I understood why she likely chose this interpretation of the study’s results. I just wish that she had chosen different words and I stated my reasoning.

I’m still not sure whether the major concern of the reticent people is for themselves or others. Because I’d think that makes a big difference in this question?

Myself, I don’t mind wearing a mask after I’m immunized, but I’m also skeptical I want to wait until someone tells me it’s OK to gather around other people in a poorly ventilated space. If I wear a mask to protect others, and I’m willing to take the risk on the vaccine (and happen to live alone), then what reason is there for me to keep socially distancing? I mean, because of the nature of science as mentioned above, how do we know that national authorities who care about scientific accuracy, health, and reputation will ever tell people outright, “okay, it’s perfectly safe to gather with strangers again”? Or even in the next year? I know a lot of folks are willing to stay distanced for even more time than we already have, but I think they’d understand if others don’t…?

I’m fully vaccinated at this point.

The main social contact I’ve had this past year (because otherwise I’d have gone insane) is also fully vaccinated. Not a lot has changed, really, as after the weather got cold we were meeting inside and not masking up. From November onward I was post-infection and therefore unlikely to pick anything up from him or transmit it. Now, with us both vaccinated we don’t feel it’s an issue. We’re talking about going to a restaurant for the first time since 15 months ago.

I still mask up in public, in part to set a good example and in part because I don’t feel giving a little to maintain civilization is an unreasonable expectation to maintain said civilization. I mask up at work because my employer demands it and hey, it’s part of what I do to get paid. In the past I’ve worked jobs that demanded a LOT more PPE than what I currently need to wear so I can cope with that.

I had visitors over my birthday week from out of town. Everyone had had at least one shot, one of us had had both at that point (the nurse in the group).

My preference would be to socialize in person with other people who were either post-covid infection or post vaccination, although I’m willing to deal in person with folks who aren’t either in small numbers because, first post-infection and now with vaccination I’m unlikely to either get or pass anything on.

I don’t think I’d feel comfortable in a large crowd still, masked or not. But then, I wasn’t keen on large crowds before the pandemic, either.

I’ve found mastering the specific science somewhat challenging throughout this pandemic. I’ve resisted dedicating too much of my time to trying to become an expert. Instead, I early on adopted practices that I felt were sustainable and allowed a sufficient degree of protection for myself and others. Some folk have thought my practices insufficient, others felt them excessive. They seem to have worked for me.

I tend to prefer NOT attending large gatherings, eating out in restaurants, etc, such that it really hasn’t been too much of a burden, and I could pretty easily continue. It is just a curious exercise to adapt my mindset - and behavior - to a changed set of circumstances.

I admit, a part of me did not mind having a ready made excuse to NOT attend large gatherings and such.

This.

Going to a lightly attended outdoor baseball game? Sure. Going to a packed indoor theater or sporting event? Fuggedaboudit.

We don’t have Trader Joe’s. Please tell me what I’m missing out on.

If you take your weekly grocery list and try to shop there, they won’t have 90% of what you came for. Buuuuuuuuuuut, if you get past that, you’ll find many wonderful things that you didn’t know that you were missing. The downside is that you’ll become addicted to some of those wonderful things and then one day they’ll no longer be carried. Some examples of the sort of thing you might find there below:

Oh! So, it’s a grocery store? What sort of store are we talking here… Aldi or Wholefoods?

Neither and both. Aldi’s in size, some focus on healthy things like Whole Foods (although they break the mold often and loudly). I actually think the list in that link is a pretty good indicator of the broad spectrum of stuff that they carry. I mean “Cinnamon Bun Spread”, which is meant to evoke the yummy goodness of the inside of a cinnamon roll. Who is smart enough to put that in a jar and sell it? Trader Joe’s.

This is about where I am, too. My wife and I are planning to attend an Orioles game in a few weeks, and I believe they are operating at either 20% or 25% capacity for April and May. I’m good with that. On the other side of that coin, the Texas Rangers have announced that they’re allowing full capacity for their home opener this coming Monday, and that just feels insane to me. Even vaccinated and masked up, even in an outdoor setting (and since it’s Texas, there’s no guarantee the roof will be open), I would not feel comfortable yet sitting in a throng of 40,000 people for 3+ hours right now.

Pricing more like Aldi’s. Fun selections more like Whole Foods in many areas-cheeses, frozen foods, sauces, chips, snacks, cereals hot and cold, cookies, candies, breads, pastries. Jams, jellies, trail mixes, beverages, coffees, teas. Ready to eat salads, wraps, sandwiches. Plants, flowers, greeting cards. Of course wines, beers, hard liquor.

You can always get essentials there, even toilet paper, paper towels, pet foods, toiletries but no guarantees that you can always get everything on your list. It’s a specialty grocery store. If I had to could I do just fine running my house on what I could get at TJ’s? Yes. But it is a supplement for me-fun foods, new things to try, plus favorites that I go back for more of again and again. The downfall is that you might get attached to one of their fun, special foods and then they may no longer carry for any number of reasons. Pink grapefruit champagne jelly, I miss you!

It sounds so… random! I don’t think we have anything like that here.

I, too, plan to visit Trader Joe’s after I’m vaccinated.

Fun fact: Trader Joe’s is owned by Aldi. But they specialize in “fun” food. They have a variety of stuff ranging from good smoked salmon (at good prices) to good chocolate (at good prices) to some of the best frozen food you can buy. For instance, their frozen chocolate croissants need to be taken out the night before to defrost and rise, and then you bake them in the morning, and you get a freshly baked chocolate croissant that’s as good as several bakeries produce.

Sort of… In Germany, the Aldi chain is split between Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud, which is basically how the two brothers who inherited the chain split it between themselves.

One of them runs the “Aldi” chains in the US, and the other owns Trader Joe’s. Their joint DNA is seen in the near fanatical stocking of store-brand merchandise at both stores, but that’s about it.

I am 2 weeks past my first shot and scheduled for the second on 4/11. Tom_Scud isn’t quite a week past his first shot. We aren’t doing anything differently yet, really - groceries have been via delivery or curbside pickup, we are both working remotely, etc. We have not gathered indoors with anyone other than each other in a year - we’ve had a couple of backyard hangouts with one friend at a time, masked and socially distanced. Tom_Scud, as the non-asthmatic in the house, has picked up takeout now and again. We dashed into my mom’s house a couple of times, briefly and masked. I’ve put off all kinds of routine medical appointments.

As of May 8, we will both be fully vaccinated. We may celebrate by eating outdoors at a restaurant. At that point, I may do things like all the medical stuff I have put off for a year-plus. (Masked when feasible; obviously not for the dentist.) I am really looking forward to doing my own grocery shopping. We may have some small backyard gatherings with fully vaccinated friends.

This weekend, we have booked a car trip out of town, where we will stay in a house, just the two of us. We are both losing our minds staring at the same four walls. Again, food will be brought with us or via takeout, and we will mostly do stuff like hiking outdoors. No plans to be indoors for more than a few minutes with other people.

Over the summer, we are likely to gather with Tom_Scud’s mom, siblings, and their families at his brother’s house. Everyone will be vaccinated by then except the nieces and nephew, who are far too young (and low-risk).

When will we feel like we can go back to pre-pandemic “normal”? What does that even mean, really? I have no idea.

Trader Joe’s also sells their own brand of high quality petfood. Our cats think its the best stuff ever, which is high praise because they are such jerks when it comes to food.

Funnily enough, I go to Aldi for “recreational shopping” as here in Italy they do these regional weeks where it’s “Spanish week” or “American week” or whatever, with matching products. Trader Joe’s doesn’t exist here.