Your Strange Amazon Recommendations thread

I seriously don’t get how they come up with recommendations. They’re supposed to be based on what you’ve said you liked/owned, but I keep getting odd ones like:

Friends- the complete 5th season and The Three Stooges - Funniest Moments II
…because you were interested in:
Titan AE
My Neighbor Totoro

Um…

Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete First Season
The Unwanted by John Saul
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Yes of course! A classic and a horror novel are intuitively linked to some comedy show I’ve never seen before. It’s suddenly so clear now…
South Park - The Complete 3rd season
Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse of the Black Pearl
All the books (it lists them seperately) in the The Belgariad by David and Leigh Eddings

I’ve seen some early South Park episodes, but the swords&wizardry angle must have been introduced after I stopped watching.

On The Town (Gene Kelly)
Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8

WWE Wrestlemania XX
Sapphire Rose David and Leigh Eddings

There ain’t any wrestling in the book, so WTF? I mean, there’s a fight with a troll, but…

SpongeBob SquarePants - The Complete 1st Season
Magician’s Gambit by Davidand Leigh Eddings

Really?

Check your own recommendations, and post the least sensical ones you got.

Revolution for Teen Guys (a Christian devotional)
Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader by Bathroom Readers’ Institute

:confused:

My Life by Bill Clinton
because I was interested in (or have owned):
Feels Like Home - Norah Jones
**Sim City 2000 Special Edition (Jewel Case)
Michael Buble - Michael Buble
Shrek
Grim Fandango
Super Monkey Ball
:eek:

True Lies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
because I was interested in
Ice Age starring John Leguizamo
:confused:

Yoga Fitness for Kids aged 7 - 12
because I was interested in
Microsoft Zoo Tycoon
Microsoft Zoo Tycoon Expansion Pack - Marine Mania

El Rey Leon (Spanish edition of the Lion King)
when I click on Why was I recommended this?, it doesn’t tell me. It just asks me to rate similar items, and gives me these options
Dinosaurio (Dinosaur - Spanish dubbed edition)
Latino Kids Songs Video Vol 1 In Spanish and English
Sesame Street - Fiesta!

Very bizarre! I don’t speak Spanish, and being Australian, I have no need to learn it, nor any children to teach it to.

Finally

Sexual Intrigue (Unrated Edition)
because I own
Grim Fandango

Weird!

But most of my book recommendations were spot on. I had to go to about the 80th or 90th recommendations to find some weird ones.

:dubious: Yeah, I can see how those two might be … no, I can’t even continue the sarcastic remark.

The Graduate because I bought Chinatown (?!)
LotR-RotK because I bought Blazing Saddles (?!)
Schindler’s List because of Amadeus, Dr Strangelove, some classical music, Platoon, 2001 A Space Oddysey, and Lawerence of Arabia
An Elegant Universe because I bought Koyanisqatsi (?!)
Death Cab For Cutie because I was interested in Modest Mouse, Iron and Wine, and Yo La Tengo (?!)
Fabric of the Cosmos because I own A Silver Mount Zion
The Scarlet Letter cause I bought A Narrative in the Life of Fredrick Douglass
Master and Commander because, and I am serious, classical music, Gregorian chants, Blazing Saddles, and obviously “Why Things Break”
Kill Bill Vol. 1 because of Dark City, Blazing Saddles, Clockwork Orange, Hyperspace, Why Things Break, and most importantly CVB’s Cigarettes and Carrot Juice

And I will add one more: Big Fish because I own CVB’s CaCJ and Time Bandits!

Odd stuff but I bet they link them on things customers also look at rather than content. Then, for some that they are really trying to unload, they just give up as recomendations for everything. Just a WAG and all.

You can’t quite beat this ‘Plog’ result:

You gotta admit, compared to most of the stuff in this thread, the connection is the epitomy of common sense.

I like this one:

Norah Jones: Feel Like Home

Because you purchased or rated…
(amongst other things)

There’s a Wocket in My Pocket (Beginner Books)
by Dr. Seuss

they also recommended Robbie Williams’ Album Escapology for the same reason - I’m just off to tell them I’m not interested in either now…

:slight_smile:

I never even noticed the music recommendations before.

Here’s a good one:

Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below by Outkast
Fallen by Evanescence
The Belgariad, Vol. 1 by David Eddings
Little Men by Louisa May Alcott

And another
** Boogie Woogie Christmas** Brian Setzer Orchestra
JASC Paint Shop Power Suite 8 Photo Edition

Forrest Gump . . .

Because I was interested in The Sixth Sense and Gladiator.

Yes . . . naturally . . .

Oxymornica because I bought mental_floss Presents Condensed Knowledge and Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation.
Makes sense to me.

I have a lot of CDs recommended based on the purchase of “Stay Awake”, a various-artists collection of classic Disney tunes. Many of the recommendations are other various-artists collections, but other recommendations are kind of strange, such as “Leadbelly Sings for Children” (I guess because of the Disney angle), and also CDs by Lou Reed and Dr John (neither of which appears on “Stay Awake”).

The Plog results are rather amusing:

Both The Manchurian Candidate and *The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King * were recommended because I rated Blazing Saddles. ???

*My Life * was released today; We thought you’d be interested because you bought Daytona : From the Birth of Speed to the Death of the Man in Black. The redneck association? :slight_smile:

The Recommendations page is much more accurate, as I’ve rated a bunch of stuff previously.

From my Plog: Mario Puzo’s The Last Don, because I own The Ref.

Mystic River - Special 3-Disc Edition, because you rated The Fog of War - Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara. Um, ok.

My recommendations make perfect sense though. I’ve spent more time honing those, I guess.