You're a moron and nothing more than a petty irritation in the cosmic flow of events

Okay. You call yourself a fan of classic rock. Fine. I consider myself the same. Fine. You like Grateful Dead and the Stones. I like the Beatles and Def Leppard. Pink Floyd, that sort of thing. Fine, if you want to feel aurally superior to me becuase my mixed CDs have stuff from this era as well. That’s your choice.

But today, I lost all respect for you. I’ve noticed a plague spreading over the land, and I feel that I must do something to stop it.

U2 is an awesome band. Yes, I know, we agree on that.

U2 also has been around since the 70’s. Yes, the 1970’s. Know what that means? THEY HAD AT LEAST 11 MAJOR ALBUMS BEFORE ‘ALL THAT YOU CAN’T LEAVE BEHIND’!.

Yes, I know you think that’s one of their best CDs, but I’d like to know how you know this? Have you every listened to anything pre-90’s by them? ‘War’, perhaps? ‘The Joshua Tree’, which, in my opinion, is one of the best albums ever released? ‘Achtung Baby’? Maybe even going all the way back, their first major album, ‘Boy’?

Yes, I’d suggest you stop giving me that “I’m a better music geek than you”.

No, I don’t have anything on vinyl. Partly because I don’t have a record player. Partly because I, unlike you, do not listen to certain music to try and impress people. I listen to music because I like it, and with very few exceptions, I prefer better sound quality. My parents used to have a turntable and a big stash of records. I would listen to some of their Beatle’s albums, and even if it means that I shall be condemned to Teenybopper Musical Hell, I must say I prefer the remastered CDs. There’s less background noise and more music.

No, since you asked, I don’t care what you think about people who don’t listen to the original format. Personally, I believe that it’s the music, the beats and chords and lyrics that matter: it is not the medium.

No, I really don’t care about how much you paid for those singles on E-bay. I’m still mentally stalled over you claiming to be a U2 fan but never having listened to ‘Joshua Tree’.

Please, just leave. Leave me to grieve in peace. You aren’t worthy of those pirated U2 singles. I need a moment of solace, please.

Music snobs suck. I’m always getting attitude from my brother because most of what I listen to is (gasp, shock, horror) released on a major label. I honestly couldn’t care less if others are impressed by my CD collection (no vinyl here either, also due to not having a turntable). I listen to what I like, and if it doesn’t meet some snob test, whatever. I don’t want to get boxed in to a category. Whether you’re going by decade, category of rock, major label vs indie, etc., you’ll find a whole lot of crap and some good stuff, and I’d rather be able to find the good stuff without having to worry that I’m going outside some artificial boundary (if that makes any sense).

As for your friend, that’s a new one to me. As you can probably guess, I’m a big U2 fan and I’ve encountered plenty of people who hate what U2 did in the '90s and thus refuse to acknowledge that anything has happened since The Joshua Tree or Rattle and Hum, but not anyone who ignores 2 decades of history and yet is willing to buy pirated stuff off of Ebay. That’s just odd.

Well, I’ve always found music snobbery to be totally absurd. But…

You will always, always get better sound quality on good quality LP with suitable equipment, than on a CD. That’s just a fact.

Please define better sound quality, and back it up with some unbiased cites.

Well, I’ve always found music snobbery to be totally absurd. But…

You will always, always get better sound quality on good quality LP with suitable equipment, than on a CD. That’s just a fact.

Ah, it’s 1920s style better sound quality.

Nah. The best cite I can come up with is that every audiophile I know (and I know a few - hang out with enough musicians and all that) give their vote to vinyl.

Obviously, you have to have top equipment (a crap victorola isn’t going to sound very good at all), but if you do, vinyl sounds better.

Anyhow, I know there’s debate on the subject - if you like MP3 or CD fine, but I’ve made my mind up on the side of vinyl based on my own listening experiences.

Well, making up your mind due to ancedotal accounts of your friends, does not a fact make.

<sigh>

A quick google search reveals LOADS of cites on both sides of the arguement.

I’m basing my opinion on my own listening experiences.

If you would like a cite, here you go (6th from the top).

Basically it says this:

So. There you go. I know that you can find about 8,000 cites that say CD is better.

I think vinyl is better based on my own listening experiences (is there an echo in here). If you disagree, fine.

I keep hearing this claim that vinyl (on suitable equipment) is superior to CD, and though I’ve not taken the time to compare them, this claim sounds wild to me.

I am familiar with digital audio and the basic idea of audio CDs and as near as I can tell there’s no theoretical reason why the sound quality should be anything less than perfect.

However, you alice_in_wonderland appear to be more experienced with high-end equipment than I am, and I am not as well versed in the exact details of the operation of a record player.

So please enlighten me (fight my ignorance) on what exactly is so bad about 44100 Hz, 16 bit stereo PCM audio and why analog outperforms it.

And sorry, NinjaChick for hijacking your thread but I must ask.

There’s nothing BAD about it aryk29, nothing at all.

I suppose it comes down to a matter of preference. You’ll get my vinyl when you pry it from my cold dead hands, but I recognize that lots of people prefer digital.

Having listened to both, I still go with my lovely vinyl. Mind you, I’m very old, and perhaps it’s nostalga showing through…

I suppose I should have thrown an “IMHO” in my first post just to avoid this. Ahem - let me throw it in now:

IMHO.

Maybe I’m wrong, but can you really use the term “Fact” to indicate an Opinion (better)?? My english teacher would say “no”, and so do I.

[QUOTE]
Okay. You call yourself a fan of classic rock. Fine. I consider myself the same. Fine. You like Grateful Dead and the Stones. I like the Beatles and Def Leppard. Pink Floyd, that sort of thing. Fine, if you want to feel aurally superior to me becuase my mixed CDs have stuff from this era as well. That’s your choice.

U2 is an awesome band. Yes, I know, we agree on that.

Yes, I know you think that’s one of their best CDs, but I’d like to know how you know this? Have you every listened to anything pre-90’s by them? ‘War’, perhaps? ‘The Joshua Tree’, which, in my opinion, is one of the best albums ever released? ‘Achtung Baby’? Maybe even going all the way back, their first major album, ‘Boy’?

No, I don’t have anything on vinyl. Partly because I don’t have a record player. Partly because I, unlike you, do not listen to certain music to try and impress people. I listen to music because I like it, and with very few exceptions, I prefer better sound quality. My parents used to have a turntable and a big stash of records. I would listen to some of their Beatle’s albums, and even if it means that I shall be condemned to Teenybopper Musical Hell, I must say I prefer the remastered CDs. There’s less background noise and more music. [/QUOOTE]

Will you marry me?

Well, in my opinion, that vinyl sounds better is a fact.

I recognize that you may not agree.

Generally, my way of dealing with this sort is to tell them, “really, then I’ve got something here you should really listen to.”

Music snob: “what?”

[silence]
Me: “The sound of me not giving a shit.”

Erm. I didn’t know it was possible for something to be opinion and fact at the same time.

Back on track, I know how you feel, NinjaChick. While I don’t exactly listen to the type of music you listen to, I have this one friend who used to like rap and hip hop and the like. But recently, she’s gotten into rock, and she thinks she knows oh so much :rolleyes: and keeps telling me to download songs I heard a year ago.

As far as comparing vinyl to a CD goes, you can’t deny that an analog recording more closely reproduces a sound than a digital one. Sound is a continuous phenomenon, and digital media, being discrete, can only approximate that. There ain’t no way around that–it’s just a matter of the way sampling works.

Does it sound better? Maybe, if you’ve got a high-end speaker system and know what you’re listening for. But with the increased durability of CDs, I don’t think that the difference in sound quality is really a compelling argument. I’ll listen to my CDs, thanks.

Take the words “that” and “is a fact” out of that statement and you’re fine. There’s no need for them in the sentence, they do nothing but make you sound like the kind of snob you dismissed in your initial post.

Fact and opinion are inherently different things.

I thought you were in your early 20’s? Either way, this seems like a bad place for “It’s a fact, IMO.”

ultrafilter, sound is by definition not a continuous phenomenen.

(bolding mine) This is the most unintentionally funny thing I’ve read in over a week.