You're Still Wearing that?

I still have (and wear) two shirts that my dad got when he was in high school. Dad’s pushing 70.

I’ve got a top coat from 1985 but that doesn’t get worn any more and should really go into the charity box. Last week I was wearing a t-shirt from the Crested Butte Mountain Bike Festival in 1991. The shirt I’m wearing today I think I got just before leaving America in 1995.

Some of the items in my regular work clothes rotation are clothes that were in my mom’s regular work clothes rotation in the eighties. Just basic stuff: a black skirt, a black sweater, a white blouse…

I also have a sweater I’ve had since ninth grade (1984). It has an undeniable eighties look to it, with a big abstract zigzag pattern in black, white, and knock-your-eye-out blue. I wear it once or twice a year and so does my daughter.

I think scarves and jewelry are the only things I have that qualify. I’ve always been pretty scarfy and my mother years ago gave me all her scarves from the poodle-skirt '50s.

Not counting heirloom jewelry, I’ve got earrings I purchased or were given to me when I was in college that I still wear. And, inexplicably, I have a simple cotton headband that I’ve used to hold my hair back each night when I wash my face since I was about 15.

I think guys have an advantage for this sort of thing, especially guys who don’t wear ties often. Double especially cheap guys who don’t wear ties often. My dad had two ties. He said that was all a man needed. He had a thin tie and a wide tie. The fashion would shift between the two. The wide tie was older than I was. I was born in '56.

He also had a pair of navy velvet dress shoes that was older than I was. I don’t think those ever came back in style.

Me, I usually wear things out. Anything not getting worn out is most likely to be purged and sent to the thrift shop. I may have my senior sweater packed away somewhere, but I’d never be able to wear it now.

I have a Joe Jackson T-shirt that I think I bought around 1980. It’s soft and faded but I still wear it.
I have a Utopia concert t-shirt that I bought on their 1983 tour, but I don’t wear this one so much, because it’s a bit small for me now.

I have a pea coat that my father wore when he was in the Coast Guard back in the mid 50’s. I started wearing it about 30 years ago and it’s still in great shape.

I still wear my “Class of '95” t-shirt. It’s from…1995.