Your're a uni student yet you're this stupid?

My first pit thread so please be gentle…

OK for those who don’t know, the tuition fees for attending UK universities are about to treble to £3,000. But that isn’t what this rant’s about, ohhh no. My beef is with the fcuking retards at the NUS (National Union of Students) who seem to think it would really be a great idea to protest about having to pay tuition fees by going on strike.
What.
The.
Fuck.
Are you completey stupid? Do you not know the general principle behind strikes? When the firefighters go on strike the general population is left without fire cover. When the coal workers went on strike, there was a coal shortage. When the car workers went on strike, the car manufacturers didn’t sell any cars. But when students go on strike, who loses out? I’ll tell you who - the students, yes that’s US you fucking morons. WE lose out by not turning up for lectures. NOT Tony Blair. NOT the government. NOT the universities. But US. We are at university for OUR benefit, not turning up will only affect us.
So NUS - if you want to say you represent me then do something useful, don’t go protesting whenever George Bush sneezes offensively, and DON’T ORGANISE STRIKES THAT ONLY AFFECTS THE PEOPLE STRIKING.

Ahh, that’s better.

And if you’re still interested, here is a link.

well it’s bad PR for a university if students protest the administration. It’s also too common to have much of an impact, but if students know how to use the media right (and there are those that do), then this sort of thing can at least get some attention.

But that’s still a reach. Somehow, wasting my tuition money by not showing up doesn’t seem the best way to protest not wanting to waste too much money on tuition.

It must be a common thing about student unions. They do that here too sometimes. I just don’t get it.

My favourite was when a (NUS) girl came into one of my lectures to rally the troups or something. She was protesting that Bogotan Basket Weaving (or some other really obscure subject that only 1 person wants to do) and about three or four similar subjects were getting cut from the arts faculty. We killed ourselves laughing, which made her cry. Then it occurred to her to ask what subject this was - engineering maths… She mumbled something like “it could happen in engineering too…” and ran off. It was one of the funniest things I had seen all week.

Nope. Intelligence isn’t for everyone.

My nicey-nice roommate once spearheaded a campaign to get more core classes scheduled so that students could graduate on time. Fine and dandy. They decided that the best way to do this was to have a sit-in outside the dean’s office. The day of the sit-in came, and sure enough, they had a gaggle of students sitting in the hall outside the dean’s office. Somebody official came along and told them they had to move, because they were blocking the hallway. My dear roomie, ever helpful, said, “Oh, we’re so sorry,” and had everybody move out of the way.

It made the front page of the paper, in a little humorous blurb. I forget the headline, but it was something along the lines of “Unclear on the concept of a SIT-IN.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Is “tuition” not covered by a student grant any more?? When I was at uni there was a supposed £600 university fee but I was the only person I knew actually paying it because everyone else had a grant (that’s not counting O/S students of course. I was in a bizarre and unique situation where I was considered sort-of-a-foreign-student-except-not. There certainly wouldn’t have been enough folks in the same situation to hold a rally with…)

There aren’t any student grants any more, only loans which you have to pay back (hence they’re loans, not grants).
For example, I get a loan of about £2,700 and have to pay £1,100 tuition fees.

Is a uni student like a unicycle?

yeah, forget the strikes, have sit-ins, occupations, rallies, marches and REALLY annoying protests to get the public on your side.

:rolleyes:

i know, i’m going to be left with £18,000 debt (6 year med degree) and it sucks.

but it’s the parents who are really going to suffer, not the students. they’re the ones who are going to be expected to foot most of the bill.
maybe all parents of uni students should strike?
that WOULD cause the country to grind to a halt.
:slight_smile:

sorry, i’m being facetious.

Well, I can understand students being pissed-off then at any rate! :eek: £2,700 is, I think, roughly what a grant was worth ten years ago … and that was all money to live on.

Are these ‘special student-rate’ loans? Have they increased the amount you’re allowed to borrow to compensate for the extra fees?

nah, just someone researching the best way to eat sushi

:cool:

Seriously…you learn something new every day. Today, you have learned a new Aussie slang word. Enjoy!

irishgirl, if your going to study to become an MD in the UK I was under the impression you would almost certainly not have to pay the full whack for tutition as I thought these courses are very heavily subsidised by the government. :confused:

studying in ireland dude.

and i’m talking about my loans for living expenses.
that’s MY debt.
my tuition fees are paid by the british government.

in some weird hangover from colonial occupation residents of northern ireland who study in the republic have their fees paid by their local education board, and are entitled to a UK student loan.

my sister, who studies in the UK gets an extra £1000 a year added on to her loan to cover the fees.
she’ll leave with a debt of £12000 after 3 years.

Stop whining, I keep telling NUS protesters here. In the States, a comparable education will saddle many students with well over $25,000 (~£17,000) at a state school after 4 years, or over $100,000 (60+K pounds!) at an ivy or other top school. At least the government is putting off allowing universities to set whatever cost they want (ie, enough to offset actual costs) until 2010, so parents can start saving money for their children’s education. The universities are turning to shit here compared to other top schools in the world, and it’s because of the lack of funding. The cost of running all of Oxford, for example, is about the same as that of just the History department at Harvard. No wonder the brightest minds are setting sail westward.

All these NUS protesters want “accessibility” at the cost of eduational quality. IMHO, an education is an investment for the future, like a car or house; and there’s no reason you shouldn’t have to pay accordingly (according to your ability to do so, of course; I am in favor of grants to those from poor families).

:eek:

Which state schools would that be? I can get a four year degree at my state school system for about $13,000 – but if you’re from out of state it’s significantly more expensive.

It depends what you mean by state school, for example in Illinois tuition at UofI at Urbana Champaign is about 8 grand per year but at the regonal campuses like Northen Illinois its significantly less.

Preach it buddy! When I was reading the OP I kept thinking, he must have left a 0 out or something. The tuition is going to TREBLE to ~$4800 per YEAR! so, currently it is only around $1600 per YEAR! Sweet Jesus! Your protesters don’t know what kind of a deal they are getting! Even $4800 per year would be considered cheap at any decent public school in the states. U of M, UVA, UCLA, all cost well over that, even in state. Not to mention many private schools that cost >$30k per year!

Places like the UC schools, University of Michigan cost somewhere similar to 3000 pounds a year. Those are good schools. Don’t just look at Harvard and Yale.

Um, no. See U of M cost to attend. In state tutition is $7,400 for freshmen and sophmores, $8,400 for juniors and seniors. That is just tuition. Out of state ~$23,000 per year, again just tuition. So, it looks like even in state to go to a good public school costs about 1/3 more than the price in England, after the tutition is TRIPLED!

peepthis, I’ve studied in the US and the UK (at your fine institution, indeed), and at least for me the UK was much more expensive, even though my tuition was $6,000/yr in the US and 2,000 pounds in the UK (I was a grad student–they’ve had tuition all this time, but no-one’s seemed to notice).

The difference? I had a scholarship in the US. University fundraising is way behind in the UK (and again, I should know–I’ve worked in university fundraising in both countries). There are lots of sources of funding in the US that simply aren’t available in the UK. Furthermore, since in the US tuition always has been a fact of life, many parents put aside money for their children’s tuition. (And there are tax-protected funds for doing so.) Eighteen years ago, no-one in the UK expected there would be tuition costs, or the disappearance of student grants, and so parents didn’t set aside money in the same way. The result? Students are largely stuck with paying 3,000 pounds neither they nor their parents didn’t expect to have to pay, with little to no chance of tuition remission if they’re not in the right income bracket. Plus, with the cost of living in most student areas being ridiculously high (I went to school in Leeds for part of my undergrad, and many of my friends had to make a choice between going broke and living in the highest-crime area in the city), it’s not surprising there’s a lot of tension.

And don’t say “well, students can afford beer, can’t they?” We all know subsidised beer at the Oxford colleges is cheaper than food.

With all due respect Duke these people can do what I am doing; take out some loans. Or are there no loans available in England?