Help! I’m in the UK. There are only washer dryer combos in our rooms. I’m trying to dry only. Otherwise I have to pack wet clothes. I am so frustrated.
I googled it, the directions seem straight forward but every time I start it up (in what I assume is drying mode) it re-wets everything.
Thank you. That looks like my model. I’ve followed those directions exactly but it always starts streaming water in. I guess I’ll trust the directions (they mention using water to dry clothes with - which seems counterintuitive but, hey…) and see what happens.
We’ve stayed in 3 rooms so far and they all have these. Respectfully, they suck. They don’t dry in the traditional sense. They come out ‘iron dry’ or ‘cabinet dry’.
Or, perhaps, that’s just how they justify not bothering to engineer in a distinct drying-only cycle. Why spend money on more features when you can claim the benefit with a little bit of post-hoc rationaliztion in the documentation.
To use the dry-only function on a Zanussi washer-dryer, turn on the machine, select the appropriate fabric program (such as Cottons or Synthetics), and repeatedly press the Dry/Drying Mode button until the wash light turns off and only the dry indicator remains active.
I tried it again with the same results. I followed the instructions to a tee. An hour later clothes are wetter that they were before I started. This is an inefficient system. I don’t know how they put up with it. Any UK dopers can share light on this?
Vrbo. They told us to follow the directions. Which we did. The problem is that apparently folks in the UK aren’t used to having their clothes completely dry when they come out.
It’s frustrating for this Yank who likes his clothes crispy. Especially when I have to pack.
Thanks but we are on vacation. So far we have been to Edinburgh, York, Bath, Liverpool and London. A couple of days lead is not really an option especially considering we are away during the days.
Not a solution to the problem with the machine, but maybe find a laundromat? When we travel for more than a week we try to schedule two-night stays in towns with readily available laundromats. We rented for a week in London once and had a similar experience with a Bosch washer/dryer combo - “cupboard dry”.
Are you driving? Another option is to leave the “cupboard dry” (wet) clothes unpacked and loose in the back of the car.
Not helpful, but my observation. In my recent travels through Spain and Italy, those combo washer/dryer units have been the bane of my existence. Bad at washing, bad at drying.
Maybe the ones that they put in rental apartments are especially trash, but man, those things suuuuuck.
One thing that surprised me on my first trip to England, almost 50 years ago, was that the laundromat that I used had three types of machines, a washer, a spinner and a dryer. The washer didn’t spin the clothes, so they were sopping wet after the washer was done. You then moved them to a separate spinner machine, and after the spinner, moved them to a dryer. Of course you had to pay for the spinner as well as the two other machines, which annoyed me. I tried skipping the spinner, but that was a mistake. The dryer could not handle the amount of water in the clothes after they came out of the washer. I wonder if such systems are still in use.
Things may be changing as I haven’t been there in quite some time now, but per some friends I stayed with ages ago who were American ex-pats living in London, this was/is indeed the case. Separate American-style powerful tumble dryers just aren’t widespread, in fact my friends said they were essentially impossible to buy back in the day (though that might have been an implied ‘for a reasonable price’ to that). It’s fundamentally still a heavily clothesline culture, whereas in the U.S. that tends to culturally be a poverty marker. Personally, I hate clotheslines - nothing worse than crunchy, air-dried clothes. Though it is of course way more economically and environmentally sound .
But fuck high electricity bills and that filthy environment says I! I like my warm, dry, soft clothes!
Not sure about England (when we were there the laundromat had a very reasonable wash and fold service that I didn’t bother with DIY), but in Italy and Spain the equipment in the laundromats we used were no different than those in the US (washer and large tumble dryer).
Aside: I always wanted one of those big laundromat tumble dryers in my house…
Aside #2: On a multi-week trip to China we had the hotel do some laundry for us (a largish hotel outside Xian, the cost was much, much cheaper than what American or European hotels charge) and the laundry was returned to us “cupboard dry”. We had clothes spread all over the room in an attempt to get them dried enough for packing.