Zombie Kitty down TMI

It’s a sad tale and gross, so you have been warned. Much detail is left out.

Ma’s Zombie Kitty was put down about 6 weeks ago. Now I can say that it’s more a relief than anything. I’ve stopped making the noises to get Kitty’s attention when I go out to where she shuffled around. I don’t loudly say Kitty so she comes to be petted. She was a super old cat that hung on way past when you would hope for a quick natural death. She walked in a sideways up down thumping gate for a couple years. She would go to the bathroom where ever she felt like it for the last year. Her fur was a mess that was impossible to keep combed out. Zombie Kitty lost her mind in the end. I don’t know if she had a brain tumor or what. First she started to scratch the rug hard enough that she managed to pull out her claws and once some of the toe tip. She was leaving small parts of herself all over. In the last two weeks she started doing all sorts of abnormal things that were self destructive. She started bashing her face until she bled and would lick the blood all over the floor into a large frothy expanding circle. One day I looked really close at Zombie Kitties face because she was looking more gruesome than before, and this was very hard to do. She had actually managed to loose much of her lower lip from bashing it. This was the point at which I lost it and said that no matter how much she couldn’t stand to have it done, the cat had to be put down. I started out with the cat doesn’t have a lower lip anymore and repeated it a few more times. It didn’t help that Zombie Kitty was still friendly and still wanted constant petting, despite being deranged. She was truly Zombie Kitty and you should hope to never own one. A person never purchases a Zombie Kitty. They just show up one day in place of the nice kitty you owned for years.

Euthanizing a pet isn’t pleasant, but letting them live is worse.

I don’t think I’ll be adding to this thread anytime soon. It took this long to write about Kitty and it makes me too sad.

Even with detail left out, that’s pretty darn disturbing.

I guess I can see why people prefer to hang on to pets that they’ve spent a long time with (a bit like having to put down a child), but when the pet in question is obviously going down the drain… sheesh.

At least that’s over. :\

Damn, that’s awful, I’m sorry it got that bad. People sometimes go nuts about their pets and insist on putting them through too much, and that’s cruel to the animal.

I think I learned about that when I was a kid. The first dog we had eventually got to the point where she’d started to drag her hind legs and whimper when you touched her head, but got around well and was friendly. Being little kids we didn’t understand, but Mom told us about how this wasn’t fair to the dog and how she probably had a brain tumor. All I knew at the time was that I was sad our dog was gone, but I think that stuck with me. I’ve had to put a fair number of ferrets to sleep over the years after they developed incurable problems or progressed far enough that the treatment was awful to the animal without much gain in quality of life, and I always think about that, and how one of our vets said that euthanasia is often the last kind act of an owner to a pet.

My inlaws kept one of their dogs way too long; the dog was diabetic, had trouble getting around, and their place stunk from the dog - and I don’t mean normal stinky dog, I mean he had sick dog stink just clinging to him, very strong, I don’t know what caused it. My husband kept pleading with them to euthanize the poor creature. This many years later, I realize I can’t remember if they did or if the dog finally had something dramatic go wrong that killed him.

Well-meaning cruelty is a very sad thing, because the owner sees themselves as being very kind and loving.

Poor Zombie Kitty, glad she’s finally at peace.

For those that don’t know, you can sometimes, if you ask around, find a vet that will come to your house to do the euthenasia. Generally a much less traumatic end for the pet, and probably the owner too for that matter.

Yeah, I’m coming up on that decision for my kitty sometime in the next several months.

She’s always been a skinny cat, but her bones just poke out now. She has kidney failure, and now it appears that she’s mostly blind.

Yet, I watch her, and it’s still good to be the cat. She lolls in the sunshine and curls up in my bed, and she wakes me up at 2:30 in the morning to tell me how much she loves me. Her coat is glossy from the extra food I’ve given her, and if she can’t get enough water in on her own, I can give her subcutaneous fluids.

She is a cat with far more than nine lives. She’s already lasted six months longer than the vet expected. She weighs less than five pounds now, but she’s always been little. She’s tough as nails.

But there will come a time - soon - where it’s no longer fun to be the cat, and I will make arrangements for her to be euthanized. I do hope my vet can come out to the house. Going to the vet has always traumatized my kitty, and I don’t want her last moments to be stressful. :frowning:

phouka, many — perhaps most — vets will supply a tranquilizer that can be administered beforehand. This was the only thing that made the final trip possible for my ex-wife’s Rottweiler (who single-pawedly changed my attitude on dogs from “tolerate” to “like”).

On the other hand, it made things seem worse because it was the first time in a week that she* was relaxed and not in pain. But the tranq was only a temporary measure, and didn’t change what needed to be done.

*The dog, not the ex-wife — the latter was a basket case. Not only the e-w: if anyone had suggested to me that I would ever be on the floor with my arms around a dog’s neck and sobbing, I’d have laughed in his/her face.

Zombie Kitty didn’t have a problem going in the cage or on the trip. We had the problem. Also I almost blew up the house caging her. My ass bumped up against the stove and turned on the gas for a burner without igniting it. I came out of my room 5 minutes later after changing clothes. the house smelled like gas and mother had dismissed it as nothing because she said where could it be coming from. I was how about the gas stove. We had to open up the house and air it out before leaving with the cat. All cat stuff went in the garbage that day including the new cat cage we didn’t bring home. We didn’t mention the cat for the next week. I was told I wasn’t to tell any of the siblings any details other than she’s gone, because they refused to help ma. They won’t be getting any pet sitting services when they go on vacations, if she sticks to what she said. The thing is this was once again one of their pets originally that my parents always ended up taking at some point. At least she finally stopped that about 15 years ago. Zombie Kitty was about 25 years old. Epileptic Zombie Doggy died about 6 years ago. The last time ma decided to get a pet herself was around 1975 when a abandoned bitch followed her home behind her bike from a state wildlife area through downtown for for about 10 miles. Puppies issued forth about a month later. Those were nice medium sized dogs and for years we had 4 dogs to play with. We often had up to 15 kids around at times so you can see that 4 dogs weren’t too many and they played with each other if nothing else.
:slight_smile:
Ok so that was a lot of pet history. Many pets were left out thankfully for you, but I feel a bit better.

Otto, thank you. It’s a consideration. She’s needed tranquilizers all along, but the vet didn’t recommend it because her kidneys couldn’t process it. So, last visit, at the vet’s recommendation, I gave kitty some painkiller before the trip. I ended up with a stressed out/spaced out kitty who drooled on everything and wouldn’t talk to me for 12 hours. sigh But, if it’s that last trip, a tranq should be okay.

I just don’t want it to be like my sister’s cat, whose skin was literally coming off in chunks before they finally put her down. I love my cat, and I don’t want to lose her, but there’s no way I will do that to her.

It’s hard to lose a pet. I’m sorry for all of your losses. My husband’s dog probably only has a year, maybe two tops. She’s just getting old. I know it’ll be hard for him when the dog passes away. It’ll be hard for my in-laws, with whom the dog lives. But the world keeps turning, and we keep on living.

I did that for my last cat and I don’t regret it for a second. She was comfortable and purring up to the very end rather than panicking and meowing in terror for the last 45 minutes of her life. It hurt like hell but I’m so glad I did it.