Zombies and Braaaainnnzzzz

As part of my ongoing research into zombie lore, I am baffled by one of the most obvious common misconceptions about zombies: that they primarily desire to feast on human brains. Although offhand I can only think of the Simpsons Halloween episode as an illustration of this idea, I think it’s pretty wide-spread. But whence does it come? It’s not in Romero, as far as I can tell.

I first remember seeing it in Dan O’Bannon’s Return of the Living Dead.

I don’t think all zombies eat brains or even living flesh. I could be wrong, but in the latest Dawn of the Dead did the actually eat the living or just bite to infect them?

It’s Dan O’Bannon’s Return of the Living Dead, as indicated above. The idea first appeared there.
Prior to Romero, Zombies were just the Walkinf Dead, who simply creeped you out, but moved slowly and didn’t try to take a bite out of you. Romero first fused the idea of the Zombie with the flesh-eating ghoul (with a bit of sf-inspiration and style stolen from the film Invisible Invaders ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052929/ ) to create more threatening zombies in Night of the Living Dead, then retained the idea for his sequels and remakes. O’Bannon tried to make his zombies different, and this is one of the ways.

I was out of the country – so belated thank yous to the respondents. Put the film on my list, another thing I’ll have to get from the U.S.

Have you heard about vegan zombies?

“Graaaainnnzzzz…”