Zyrtec: FDA approved for indoor AND outdoor allergies?

Right here on Pfizer’s web page for Zyretc, you’ll find their marketing gimmick. I maintain that this is a false dichotomy. Given the way ALL allergy meds work (block histamine receptors-get it, antihistamines?), and the way that both indoor and outdoor allergies work (histamine release), this distinction is meaningless from a medical perspective.

From a marketing perspective it’s a different matter. It creates a distinct market niche for Zyrtec.

But apparently the FDA sanctions the indoor and outdoor status of zyrtec. When the FDA approves a medicine, it approves it for specific indications. Apparently, they bought Pfizer’s line of bull that Zyrtec should be approved for what is clearly a false dichotomy. Why? Will the FDA approve any meaningless indication? Can I market a new antibiotic for S. pyogenes as effective for both right AND left tonsillitis (and bilateral tonsillitis-it’s good shit!)?

I know there are other types of allergy meds (flonase for example). I meant, “given the way all non-sedating antihistamines (like allegra, claritin, etc) work.”

These appear to be the FDA approved indications:

Prescription drug advertisements are held to different standards than their product labeling. The question for the advertising is whether it advertises something that isn’t in the labeling. If the above indications are indoor and outdoor problems, then Zyrtec isn’t advertising an unlabeled indication.

Of course, marketing gimmicks are part of the reason I don’t like direct-to-consumer prescription drug advertisements.

All I can say on this is that Allegra and Claritin very specifically state that they are for seasonal allergies, and make no mention of the perennial type.

I agree with your assessment, Robb. The indoor indications are the perennial allergies whereas the outdoor indications are the seasonal allergies. What I don’t get, though, is which antihistamines are they referring to when they say:

I see in preview that it’s not claritin or allegra. Thanks Cheesesteak.

And it’s not Clarinex

Are they referring to astemizole?

I see on re-reading cheesesteak’s post that I’m being dense. I still believe that the marketing tactic is slimey, though.

Carry on.

It’s marketing-speak.

The FDA checks the advertisments, and will seriously gig a Pharma that tells untruths or deceptions in their advertising. However, the ads you’re talking about are within bounds, as the drug does work on indoor and outdoor allergies. What the Pharma is not saying, is that the symptoms and indications are similar, so of course it works indoors and out, just like many other medications do.

It’s border-line, but it doesfall on the white side of the line between lies and truth, albeit pretty far into the grey.

When selecting a drug, always check the labelling… That’s usually the most accurate way of determining what indications are treated, and how effectively it works (unless you’ve got access to a PDR), while avoiding most of the hype.