24 - 7 - 8 p.m. - SPOILERS

Wow. I thought this episode was terrific.

Okay, Terri’s hysteria looks like it’s worn itself out. Please, oh please let it be. Dr. Phil - red herring? Tony is still a stud muffin - I liked that he knocked some calm into Terri.

Kim should be safe at the police station. She might get roughed up a little bit (like the teasers for next week indicated) but she’ll come out alive and okay.

Sherry Palmer shows her true colors to David. I thought that was a great scene. I didn’t like what the teasers we getting at, though…

Looks like Jack’s boss is a class A moist turd, but might not be dirty after all.

And finally…Victor Drazen makes an appearance. Excellent scene, I thought - very tense. But I’ll bet dollars to donuts it’s curtains for Richie Valens again.

Excellent episode all around. Three problems for me…

1. Tony got to the Bauer’s place in about 6 minutes last week, but this week he told Nina he was about 20-30 minutes away from CTU.

2. The guy with Jack at the begining of this episode 9forgot his name) gets a call…on Jack’s phone? Remember he told Jack his phone had died and borrowed Jack’s.

3. Wouldn’t a secret prison have it’s own source of electricity or at least backup generation?

SOme other problems with when it was light and when it was dark. BUt still this episode was cool, especially with Dennis Hopper.

Excellent episode all around. Three problems for me…

1. Tony got to the Bauer’s place in about 6 minutes last week, but this week he told Nina he was about 20-30 minutes away from CTU.

2. The guy with Jack at the begining of this episode 9forgot his name) gets a call…on Jack’s phone? Remember he told Jack his phone had died and borrowed Jack’s.

3. Wouldn’t a secret prison have it’s own source of electricity or at least backup generation?

SOme other problems with when it was light and when it was dark. BUt still this episode was cool, especially with Dennis Hopper.

L.A. traffic varies from hour to hour. During rush hour, a 6 minute drive can take 20 minutes.

Well, OK, I’m bullshitting. Sort of. I always worked my life around rush hour, and yeah, rush hour can affect driving times dramatically, especially in L.A. But rush hour usually has died down by 6 pm. (Not that I am an expert on L.A.'s rush hour - I have worked my life around avoiding it, after all!)

So we’ll just forget about the driving time discrepancy thing. :wink:

Jack lied about his phone being dead. I thought it was Jack that borrowed the other guy’s phone, right? Or am I all confused? He wanted to use the other guy’s phone, so he said his was dead. I can’t recall why now. But I thought I remembered that Jack was bullshitting about the dead phone. So if the other guy is using Jack’s phone now, after Jack lied and said the battery was dead - that’s odd.

Good question.

Very cool episode. I enjoyed it very much.

It’s nice to see Lou Diamond Phillips - he’s looking good. (He plays the warden in underground prison.) But his future does look dismal.

I thought it was a great episode. Give that there are only 5 episodes left, and that last week was a pretty good episode, it might turn out that ‘24’ is back on track again and will be right through to the end. I sure hope so, because then this series would have to go down as one of the all-time best.

I really liked the way all the threads developed. It looks like we might be about to shake loose the kidnapping Romeo, Terri is in CTU’s hands, she knows her daughter is alive… Jack has some allies, and looks like he’s heading into a big gun battle, during which I have to assume Dennis Hopper gets free and Lou Diamond Phillips bites the big one. That’d be good - I don’t want to see Jack with a sidekick for the rest of the series.

By now, you have to be able to forgive the small timing lapses and cheating on travel times. It’s a necessary sacrifice, unless you want to have a TV series that plays out mostly in cars.

All in all, a tightly constructed, plausible, exciting episode. Whoo hoo.

I think you’ve got it backwards - Mason borrowed Jack’s phone after pretending his was dead, and then he shut off Jack’s phone surreptitiously. That’s why Jack borrowed DeSalvo’s cell to call Sen. Palmer.

Tony had to drop off Phil at the clinic, so his total travel time to CTU was going to be a half hour.

Jack is now going into battle without helmet, flak jacket, or assault rifle. There must not be enough gear to go around. He’s one American hero who’s gonna take some savage furriners DOWN.

Favorite line: “You’ll have to forgive my surprise. I watched you die.”

Just curious… How do you enjoy shows when you pick them apart like this? For that matter, very little of most shows or movies could actually happen IRL so I imagine it must be very difficult to enjoy films. I expect that you will NOT be seeing jason X?

I dunno, I think it shows a love for the show that one would be paying close enough attention to notice potential slipups.

(and god help me, I WILL be seeing Jason X…I can’t help myself)

I would love to hear feedback from the nitpickers about this as well. 'Cause frankly, I never even considered implausibilities as a bad thing until I started reading the weekly 24 spoiler thread. I’m beginning to think all y’all’s eye-rolling and debunking has sucked away a small portion of my enjoyment by osmosis.

Sure, I think “What a dumbass move, Kimmy!” when she blurts out that Dan is dead, but I’m also thrilled that instantly the tension level is redoubled. In similar situations, nitpickers appear to start with the hand-wringing and lamentations.

I missed the teasers…but I was thinking that those girls might be in for some trouble if they messed with Kimmy the Brave Little Soldier.

I also thought it was a good episode. It looks like the series should end well…as long as no more cars explode (absent an actual bomb).

All fiction involves some suspension of disbelief. When something comes along that punctures this bubble, it diminishes one’s enjoyment, especially for those of us with mathematical/physical/logical minds (i.e. nerds).

If a story is tightly plotted, I don’t notice small errors. I didn’t notice the time discrepancy that Tretiak pointed out, for example. But once my bubble is punctured, it becomes sort of a game: find the mistakes! It’s sort of a compensation for the loss of the other, better thing - a story that I can believe in.

It’s kind of like sex: without orgasm it’s still OK, but it’s so much better with orgasm, that you can’t help being a bit disappointed when it doesn’t happen. I like the feeling that comes at the moment EVERYTHING BECOMES CLEAR AND IT ALL MAKES SENSE so much, that when it doesn’t make sense, it’s a big disappointment.

If nitpicking decreases your enjoyment, don’t read the discussion!

Well I am not always nitpicking the show. It isn’t like I sit there with a pen and paper and try to root out the inconsistencies. But I was annoyed at how fast Tony got to the Bauers the week before. I live in L.A. so I know what it is like to get around. So that was bugging me and then he says “20-30 minutes” (There was no mention of the clinic unitl Nina said something) so I just notice it. Same thing with the phone, it is just a something you notice, “hey, isn’t that Jack’s phone.” I don’t think these ruin the show for me at all, I accept them as fairly immaterial. But when the show’s whole conceit was “real-time” then I think it is lending itself to that kind of analysis. Tony’s just in the nick of time save of Teri feels like a cheat because the show’s premise is real-time (or very close).

As for the prison, it’s just the nature of the industry I live in, and especially with a project I recently worked on that made me think of that.

But none of it ruins the show for me, not by a long shot.

Tony mentioned the clinic first, then Nina told him to drop the guy off at the clinic then bring Terri to CTU.

Perhaps I came across wrong. I was just curious. Nitpick all you want. It just seems that some of the nitpicking was a little more obsessive then others. I like seeing what others think of the show. I for one love it and am bummed it will be ending soon. I suppose that enjoyment of a show is different things to different people.

** FriendRob** if my questioning nitpicking upsets you please don’t read my comments in the discussion.

That is what I thought at first, but then I re-watched it (thank you Tivo) and there was no mention of the clinic until Nina said to go there.

Huh, I thought he said something. Well, that’s what I get for watching with a bourbon in my hand.

Great episode, though.

Well, FriendRob, I’m one of you nerds by that definition, yet my bubble almost never gets punctured with this show. I trained and developed my suspension of disbelief in college when I followed All My Children. You know the story, everyone is rich and successful yet never seems to work, addictions last two months or so and then are magically completely cured, etc. So with a show like 24, which has only minor bending of real-life rules, I get pure enjoyment.

As for your last exclamation, you do know there is only one discussion of 24 each week here, yes? Note that it’s fraught with nitpick lists. I would like to discuss the show and the actors, speculate, celebrate, etc. The nitpicks are a wet blanket. It’s JFTR, of course - I have no illusions that I could change the timbre of the threads, especially on a board which is dedicated to debunkery.

Tretiak, I must admit Tony showing up in 6 minutes to save Teri was kinda lame. That’s one of the rare times the time cheats bothered me. Maybe the Bauer residence is the coachhouse out back of CTU HQ.

Fakeyness aside, it posited Tony as a man of action, which was excellent. He needed to get out there and show us why Nina likes him. He was pining away in the office for too long.

Gundy - yeah - you’re right. I got it backwards. I need to go back and review my tapes! (Yeah, I’m the consumate taper of any program I take a fancy to.)

My sister and I (both homesick Angelenos exiled in Hooterville) LOVE paying attention to the local LA references in this show. It’s a great show anyway, so we love it that they have the “feel” of L.A. down pat as well.

So, I am always looking to see what freeway they are on, trying to figure out if it really would take that long to get from the 405 to Burbank, or whatever. (Of course, like I mentioned before, I worked my life around avoiding rush hour in L.A., so I am not as familiar with all the freeways and driving times as others might be.) I’ve been trying to figure out what route they took to get to Saugus. (I just checked the map. They took the 5 to the 14 - right? And then it’s off the 14. Not too far from where my other sister lives.)

I enjoy noticing this kind of stuff. But obviously, a lot of nitpicky details don’t bother me at all.

That sounds like fun. I think I’m getting a better understanding of the whole picking of nits issue here. For some it increases viewing pleasure.

Some previous weeks’ threads were more upset-sounding, with the nitpick, nitpick, nitpick, then “jumping the shark” and “SIGH!” type of sentiment. Reminds me of a line from The Big Chill: sometimes you just have to let the art flow over you.

But heck, no more gnashing for the rest of the season, eh? Dennis Hopper, Diamond Phillips, Sutherland - all bristling menace - how can I be down? The finale this week was marvelous. I expect a massive firefight next week.