Next Time, Don't Share

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118763

As I said, I was sorry you got fired, but people were either sharing their similar experiences, asking what had happened in order to answer the question, and/or giving you sympathy.

Nobody slagged you off, yet you get pissy and whiny…why? I still have no clue.

As I said, I’m sorry you lost your job…I’ve gotten laid off before too. It’s a shitty feeling, but if you don’t want the natural inquisitiveness of this board to insert itself into your thread one way or another and you just want pure unadulterated sympathy, I suggest you post at www.crybabies.com

When I saw UncleBeer’s post at the end of that thread:

at the end of that thread, I was sure I would scroll back up to see that Snooooopy had been banned from the SDMB on top of having been fired.

That would have been terrible.

Absolutely hilarious from a certain poetic standpoint, but terrible nonetheless.

I was wondering if there would be a Pit thread about this and here it is. I agree with the OP, btw. Don’t you suppose Snoooopy could have just stopped reading?

You know, not for nothin’, but how about cutting the guy some slack? Being fired, especially unexpectedly, is an extremely stressful event.

Let it go. While he got some sympathy, he also got the “could have been worse” kinds of stuff from people who thought the thread title was a joke (and meant no harm). Sounds like some misunderstandings coupled with a lot of stress. No point in poking him any further , is there?

Zette

To be fair, Zette, he did ask if his firing could have been done in a worse manner… I’m sure it was rhetorical, but around here… Well, you know.

No, not really, Zette. As I said before, I don’t think anyone was trying to be a jerk, we were just asking why he had gotten fired, most of us did show him sympathy, then he gets into a “I’ve been fired so I don’t have to tell you anything! All I want is fawning all over me! Boo hoo!”

I just found it annoying. I don’t go into threads to step on people, and I always like to show support to people when they have gotten the short end of the stick, but when they turn around and act like we’re stupid or mean for even asking why he had gotten fired I just smell an ungrateful, self-centered sod. I just can’t stand shit like that, that’s all. I am not meaning to belittle his loss of a job, just that if he’s going to post about it without giving the reason for the loss of the job, surely he knows that someone will eventually ask why.

On top of that, it was actually becoming an interesting thread with people giving testimonials of the bad ways they were fired/laid off. I was gearing up to write about the time I got laid off (while I was on vacation!) only to feel deflated when I got to the end of the thread. Oh, well. Maybe some other time.

I understand that he felt shitty about getting fired, but to flip out when people came in to commiserate is just fucking childish.

Ya know what? When I saw that thread, I thought the people posting in it were absolute and complete assholes.

Way to kick a man when he’s down.

I’m sure a lot of you didn’t mean it in that way, but… harsh, guys. See what happens next time you post wanting sympathy.

Lolababy, I just read the thread and I totally agree with you.

Even people who tried to bring a little humor to the situation like Zebra, who should gets some extra SDMB points for the Jumbotron reference, were summarily treated to a “close this thread! close this thread!”.

Give me a break! I thought misery liked company? :confused:

Who did you think was being a complete asshole?

Well, the first two posters could have been a little nicer, but…I thought about it, and Enright3 had a point. I made a point that I was sorry he had lost his job, but restated Enright3’s question. I think it’s fair enough.

I’m not saying he did any of these examples, but what if a person who had gotten fired was fired because of embezzling from the company, sleeping with the boss’ wife/husband/16 year-old daughter, assaulting a customer, sharing company secrets, etc.? I surely would not extend any sympathy in those cases. I didn’t ask to be nosy or anything (well, okay, a little :stuck_out_tongue: ), but I would like to hear the whole story, you know? Then he acted as if we were all laughing at him. Which, as I understood, no one was.

Kind of like me posting “I’m sad, my boyfriend left me” :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: and not saying that the reason he left me is because he’s married and has three kids, I smashed his car, tried to beat up his wife, stole things from his house to support my raging drug habit and I kicked his dog.

Um, the people posting in the thread.

You’re assuming the worst here. And, for heaven’s sake, so what if he did deserve to get fired? Does it really matter to you? He went to MPSIMS (not the Pit) looking for sympathy at the crappy way he got canned, and he found nasty comments as well as aspersions cast on his work and moral ethics.

A quote by Snoooopy:

Gee, wonder if your attitude had anything to do with your canning?

I’m jes’ saying.

Yes, THIS is definitely worth people raising their blood pressures at each other.

I applaud you all for your firm grasp on what matters.

Whatever, Snooopy.

:rolleyes:

Some people just don’t like applause, I suppose.

Fickle, fickle people.

Look, I don’t even know the guy- I’m just saying that people get a little irrational under stress, that’s all. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and flame away. I’m just saying it obviously really bothered him in a big, crazy way and maybe it should just be one of those :: shrug :: “Huh. Wonder what’s up his ass?” sorta things.

Whatever- carry on then.

Zette

Ok, let’s see,
waterj2:

LolaCocaCola:

istara:

Purd Werfect:

Yeah, that’s really mean and assholish. :rolleyes:
I still don’t see any straight-out assholes. You want to cast a net over everyone…I don’t think the people above would appreciate that. You want to say asshole, name names.

Does it matter? No, not in the way Drastic put it, cause at the end of the day I don’t know him. But it does matter in that I don’t particularly care for trying to support and/or console somebody if they aren’t forthcoming.

I did not cast any doubt on his morality or work ethic, we just asked why. My example up there is not meant to mean him, if you did not understand what I wrote.

He then gets all pissy about it, so it makes me wonder why he won’t say.

Ya know, Drastic and Zette are right.

It’s just that I don’t appreciate trying to help out then having the person get all pissy. It smells of…self-centeredness and ingratitude. Kind of like when you post to help someone out then never get a reply knowing whether or not you helped or you didn’t. It’s just a pet peeve of mine as evidenced in this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116160

LaurAnge, if you want to extend sympathy to every Joe Shmo who posts here crying, be my guest. I just don’t like to do it, when for all I know, the misfortune could have been caused by their own doing.

You were right, not everyone was an asshole. As a matter of fact, most weren’t.

And yes, aspersions were cast on his ethics. Suggesting that the reason he was fired in such a crappy way stemmed from the reason he got fired (ie, he deserved it) was mean.

I don’t see any reason to doubt or mock someone with no good reason. If you don’t want to be nice to random people, it’s your prerogative. I, however, choose to give people the benefit of the doubt. People on this board sometimes tend to be mean for no good reason, and I hate that.