Mulva and Seinfeld Show

In one episode Jerry meets a girl and doesn’t know her name. She tells him it rhymes with a female part of the body. He jokingly calls her Mulva. Anyway at the end of the show he says Oh Delores. (at least according to my closed captioning)

Question is what is the female body part that rhymes with Delores. Or did I get the name wrong?

Clitoris

The american people are very generous people and will forgive almost any weakness, with the possible exception of stupidity.—Will Rogers

That pesky clitoris! Never can find it 'till it’s too late, can ya?

I was guessing “Kit”.

I had been guessing Regina all along…

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Maybe this belongs in the mispronunciations thread but I think the correct pronunciation is CLIT-er-is, not clit-OR-is, in which case it doesn’t really rhyme. I’m familiar enough with the other pronunciation that I got the joke, but my desk dictionary only has one pronunciation and the one time I heard a doctor (a gynecologist) use the term he said it CLIT-er-is.

“non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem”

Yeah, my guess before that show ended was “Dinah.”

[[Maybe this belongs in the mispronunciations thread but I think the correct pronunciation is CLIT-er-is, not clit-OR-is, in which case it doesn’t really rhyme. I’m familiar enough with the other pronunciation that I got the joke, but my desk dictionary only has one pronunciation and the one time I heard a doctor (a gynecologist) use the term he said it CLIT-er-is.]] Pluto
That might be some Brit pronunciation (I recall it in “The Meaning of Life”). However, my Webster’s pronounces it to rhyme with Delores. And that’s the way Chef pronounces it, too!

It is much more fun to “mouth” it than to say the word out loud.

I finally get the joke. I too have always said “Clit-ir-us” and that doesn’t rhyme with Delores.

I think the Seinfeld people pronounced it wrong but at least I get what they were going after.

No – both are acceptable pronunciations, and the Delores rhyme seems to be far more prevalent in this nation. So don’t blame Seinfeld because you didn’t get the joke.