Doper names you have mispronounced.

I just recently discovered that I have been pronouncing the name Persephone, incorrectly, all this time.

I had been pronouncing it as “purse-eh-phone.”
[sub]That’s “purse” as in handbag, “eh” as in Canadian, and “phone” as in telephone :rolleyes:[/sub]

Of course, the correct pronunciation is “purrs-ef-oh-nee” :o
[sub]“purrs” as in cat, “ef” as in effective, “oh” as in Oh!, and “nee” as in knee.[/sub]

:wally

I think most everyone got Gaudere’s name wrong for a very long time. (It’s three syllables.)

Well, some gal’s got a name that’s AnnaLise or something like that and my mistake with it is obvious. Not intentional, mind you, butt obvious.

Iampunha I have trouble with even after he told us how to pronounce it.

Scylla until I realised that this was part of a line in Wrapped Around Your Finger*

And don’t even get me started about thinks now

[sup][/sup]You consider me the young apprentice
Caught between the scylla and charbides.
Hypnotized by you if I should linger
Staring at the ring around your finger

It’s a lower-case L in my name, not a capital i! lno! Not Ino!

::pant pant pant::

Just had to preempt it…

:confused:

I don’t know about pronunciation, but I was just struck by a realization yesterday: I just got the joke in Knowed Out (no doubt), after seeing it for months. A real “Duh!” moment.

If it’s three syllables, I think it would be pronounced:

“gaw-der-ray”

So is it go-dee-air then or what?

I personally have never been able to figure out if gobear is go bear or gob ear (or some other construction that has yet to occur to me (but I always pronounce it as the former in my head)…

Same with Mangetout; I always think Mange tout (French for “eats a lot”), but then it occurred to me that it could just be Man get out, which would also make sense…

Darn it, I need to start using Preview more…

I always pronounce Maeglin as Magellan in my head.

lno I pronounce leh-now, even thought I know it should be el-en-no.

That’s all I can think of now.

I pronounced Mnementh as Mnemeth ('cause I for some reason thought it was spelled Mnemneth).

I tried to correct his name when I saw him in chat :slight_smile:

I was caught by surprise by astorian’s response to my posting in this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110137

“‘Chuck’? Who’s ‘Chuck’? Oh. That’s supposed to be me…”

I have no ideea how to pronounce Daowajan. I say something like “Dow-a-gin”

Also, I can’t help but mispronounce iampunha (“I am poon-ah” and Scylla (“Sky-la”) I know that’s wrong, but I just can’t get the right version in my head.

Ditto on Mangetout…

could not figure why he or she had the mange and why tout it?

:slight_smile:

I’m fairly sure, of the subset of Dopers who have seen and tried to pronounce my name, a large majority of them got it wrong.

If it’s any consolation, I mispronounced it for a couple of years before I found out how it’s really pronounced.

Try this…

Genseric

Yeah, I thought the G was soft and I had the stress on the wrong syllable.

Wow. That’s a cool link! And I stand corrected.

And which is the correct pronunciation for Gaudere???

I’m so confuzzled!

Oh, and Shibb, which syllable has the accent in yours?

Well, I thought I had Genseric (not Jen-sehr-ick) and Gaudere (not Gawd-ear) right, but I guess not.