Doper names you have mispronounced.

I haven’t really posted enough for many of you to even have the opportunity to try to pronounce my name but the funny thing is that it doesn’t even have a pronouciation. It’s an acronym that I’ve never attempted to say out loud. I guess you can pronounce it however you would like.

Haj

For iampunha, I want to say eye-am-POON-ya, as though the “nh” were Portugese.

My butt what?

Pronunciation: 'shi-b&-l&th also -"leth
Of course the pronounciation depends on whether you’re an Ephraimite or a Gileadite.

For Gaudere, I heard it as gaw-day-ray, but it could be gaw-deh-ray. I don’t speak Latin but was told it was Latin for joy.

I’m with you here, hajario. I had been on the board for four months when the first (for me) PNW DopeFest happened. rjk and niggle came down from Vancouver and joined me in Bellingham, WA so we could all drive down to Seattle together. So we are zipping down the freeway, and niggle says “So, Cheri, how do you pronounce your username?” Well, the thing is…I didn’t KNOW how I pronounced it, having never said it out loud before.

Much hilarity ensued, and rjk finally made the final determination. It is Scott-eh-sure…he had gotten to know me a bit by then and said that the other pronunciations…Scotty-share and so forth…just didn’t fit. So there you have it.

I just LOVE that rjk!

The content of my previous post ("just LOVing rjk )totally allowed and approved of by Zyada, [sub]Hi sweetie![/sub] …which is prounounced Zeeahtuh, BTW. Like Miata.

I thought Mangetout was “Magnet-out” for a while. (It’s “Mahnzh-Too.”)

I didn’t get the joke on Sue Duhnym because I accented “Duh.” I thought it was her real name.

I say iampunha “eye-am-poonya” too!

Mangetout to me was always “Mang-el-tout.” The “mang” part rhymes with gang.

I always say Zyada as Zelda.

Sometimes, when I’m thinking of my own name, I “think” too quick and say Yo Ya Tengo to myself. :rolleyes: Who would of thought?

I’m not sure on the pronunciation of Daowajan, but I always say it as “Die-oh-in.” I know that can’t be right, though…

I always pronounced Sue Dunhym as Sue Done Him not as pseudonym.

Cantherya I always pronounced as Can’t hear ya though…

I didn’t pronounce her name wrong, but I did in fact say to a fellow Doper once, instead of TubaDiva I said TubaDiver .

(still shaking head in disbelief) :o

Yay! I got Mangetout right! :slight_smile:

As for iampunha, I always pronounce it “I-am-poon-ha” in my head… I have no idea if that’s right or not.

I remember when lel told me that she always pronounced my screen name as “Hamster_X” in her head. Not sure if this could truly be called a mispronunciation as such, but for the record, it’s: “flam” as in “flamboyant”, “ster” as in “stir”, and “ette” as in “Henriette”. (the X is self-explanatory, I’d hope)

I can’t remember any Doper names I’ve mispronounced, but if I do, I’ll post further.

I have always wanted to say Rainchichi instead of her real name (Racinchikki, I think). This is my brain on drugs.

Damn that Mo N Ster 10 4 (as in Mo N’ Stir 10-4).

:smiley:

i dont bother trying to say peoples online nicknames because some of them aren’t pronouncable (and im too lazy to try :D). people often call me DaWooden (even in text)

I don’t even know how to pronounce my name, so don’t worry about it.

Die-on-in, eh?

I was actually thinking about this the other day: I hope no one ever tries to my attention at a Dopefest. Or if I go to one and someone asks me who I am on the boards. “Uh… I can’t pronounce my name.”

For the record, it’s pronounced “typo man”.

I find myself saying DAO-va-zhan for Daowajan. and i was under the impression that Gaudere has four syllables, GOW-de-ah-re, i do not doubt this is wrong, somehow.

I did not grok Sue Duhnym’s tag for the longest time, and i thing she refered to a child of hers as “Syno Nym” that it finally clicked.

There’s someone on this board whose name I can’t even spell, much less pronounce. I remember they gave the origin of it once, but I don’t even remember that these days.

cuathemnoc is about as close as I can get, which isn’t very.

EnderW25 told me his misread my name at first and was calling me “Cranky Old Ass Man”

Which I love.

It helps if you realize he used to be goboy. IIRC, he changed it to the current version when he hit 40.