Help with our cat's weird behavior problem

My wife and I found a kitten in July '01. He was only 2-3 weeks old, and the mother cat was nowhere to be found. So, we took this cat, as we’d discussed getting a playmate for our other cat before. We named him Isham.

It was difficult raising him at first. We had to feed him with an eyedropper every 4 hours; he required a lot of attention, since we was never properly weaned. He grew into a great cat. He cuddles between us at night, comes when he’s called, and provides us with lots of laughs.

However, about 3 months ago Isham developed a very strange and annoying habit. At night, just as we are falling asleep, he paws at our closet door (which is always shut), like he would to any door that he wants opened. He doesn’t use his claws, just the pads on the bottom of his feet. He also makes a high pitched meow/whine. My wife and I are very light sleepers, and when he does this, it always wakes us up.

Obviously, Isham wants in the closet. This, of course, is in direct opposition to what we want. We are very deliberate in keeping the closet door closed. Isham has slipped in there before and clawed his way to the top shelf, ruining several of my wife’s dresses in the process. When he finally reaches the top shelf, he always knocks things off and creates quite a mess.

The first thing we tried was locking him out of our bedroom at night. This doesn’t work because he does the same pawing/whining thing on our bedroom door, and it still wakes us up. We even put two doors between us, and he whines so loudly, we can still hear him. We can’t get him farther away, as our apartment is small and doesn’t have many rooms.

Next we tried water guns. My wife and I keep a filled water pistol on either side of the bed. When he makes the noises we give him a good squirt. But, the little rascal has learned to listen for the sounds of the water sloshing around in the guns as we pick them up, then he runs. Moments later, he’s back doing it again. Even though he’s been squired countless times, it’s not enough to make him stop. What’s worse, we think he’s made it into a game!

We tried ignoring him, hoping he’d tire himself out. No good. The little bugger will do it all night, 8 straight hours. The longer he goes, the louder his meow/whines gets, the more intense the pawing.

What we are doing now appears to work, but it’s not how we’d like to solve the problem. At night, after the first pawing session (we give him a chance to be good), we put him in his Pet Taxi cage. We put the cage in the farthest corner of the apartment, and shut our bedroom door.

I don’t like keeping him confined like that, but it’s the only way we can get any sleep anymore. We just want the obsession with the closet to end. Our other cat exhibits none of this behavior. I really hope some cat guru Doper can help us out. We are getting desperate.

I can relate. Cats are nocturnal. Some are more determined that others. This cite discusses some possible solutions. There are no easy answers.

Your kitty may be especially dependent on you since she never had a real mom. You may try spending more time in the early evening trying to “wear” her out before bedtime. My cat loved to play with three or four paper wads thrown on the floor. She sometimes fetched them for me to throw. Odd huh? Cats are odd. Alley Bug used to get beside the mini-blinds and continuously tap on them at night. I lived on a third floor apartment with a small porch. I screened in the porch and left the door open (cracked) and she seemed to enjoy sitting out there watching. There are some pet videos you may place in your vcr in the living room, I had a friend that did this. Her cat watched these “cat movies” at night. I highly encourage you to get an elaborate “kitty castle”. They enjoy getting in and out and up on these. It is just something for them to do while you get some sleep. Good luck.
pv

This is going to sound cruel, but those who know me know I am a serious cat lover who would never hurt my cats.

Here’s how I stopped the “pawing at the door” behavior with mine.

Place outside your door that Great Eater of Kitties - the vacuum cleaner. Don’t plug it in - run the cord into the room - but leave the cleaner “on”. When the pawing starts, roll over in bed and plug the cord in for a few seconds.

It only took about a week before the pawing stopped for good.

Good idea Anth. Although I’m not sure why you thouhgt it would sound cruel.

Because the first couple times you do it, expect to hear a “ROOWWWWWRRRR!”, followed by a “THUMP! Crash!” as the cat takes off, careening into whatever stands in the way. :o

Could the cat just be trying to find some clothes that smell like a loved one to sleep in? My ferrets sometimes favor my laundry basket, but will settle for clothes on the floor.

I think merrily’s got a good point. The more emotionally dependent on you a pet is, the more they want to sleep on things that carry your smell. It’s not unusual for a dog to selectively pull one person’s stuff out a basket of assorted dirty clothes, make a little nest, and go to sleep. Try wearing an old ratty shirt for a few hours, then make kitty his own little bed liner out of it. It may help.

Also, cats love to climb on stuff and explore nooks and crannies. Get a kitty condo, a nice tall one (you can make them yourself out of boxes if you want) with lots of nice hollow places to hide and towers to claw his way up. You may have to put it right in your bedroom, since he wants to sleep with you at night, but it will probably help some.

I’m going to side with Merrily. Something SMELLS good to Kitty. The fact she heads for the top of the closet every single time says there’s something up there that she’s GOTTA have!

I’d take out the contents of the closet shelf (in daytime, natch) and set them on the floor, all spread out, and see just WHAT she finds so fascinating.

Who knows, you might have a dead mouse in there, LOL.
~VOW

I agree with VOW… There’s something she wants up there, and see what she goes to. The clothes idea is a good one, too. My cats are very protective of my freshly worn clothes. They get into a wrestling match with me anytime I try to wash them :smiley:
Just so you don’t think your pets are weird, I used to have a ferret that would raid the laundry basket for “dirty” underwear and bras, then stuff them under the couch (he ripped a hole in the couch liner) So anytime we needed to do laundry, we had to tip the couch over and empty it out! :smiley:

if you have a wide, shallow pan/tray/whatever - place it in front of the door and fill it with water - cats generally hate wet paws.

You might also try the foil trick. Some cats do not like to walk or jump on foil. I guess the sound irritates them. Place a big sheet in front of the closet where her favorite scratching spot is.

You might also want to try a comercial ‘pet away’ spray. These are filled with nasty smelling (to them mind you) chemicals that may keep her away. For a quick version of this try rubbing some lemon juice/zest near the favoured spot.

I also have to agree on the clean out the closet bit. Have the cat be in your presence while you do it. If there’s something there she wants, I bet she’d lead you to it.

Best of luck.

or, some cats just like high, easily-defensible lairs - a roosting instinct, as it were.

The only way I was ever able to break a cat of an annoying trick was to get it to associate the (bad) action with an IMMEDIATE, self-evident consequence - go up to closet door, get wet feet.

the go to closet, let human hear you, get wet is the problem - the cat is clever enough to figure out that it is the human that is causing the moisture, not its own actions (you cannot teach a cat not to get on the furniture, but you can teach it not to get CAUGHT on the furniture).

(p.s. - if you want to break a kitten/puppy of the “chew on human hand” trick - as soon as it bites: immediately grab the back of its head with your free hand, then jam the bitten hand down the little bastard’s throat - never failed)

Seems cruel and mean-spirited.:frowning:

it is not cruel - it simply teaches the critter that a nasty habit (biting humans) has equally nasty consequences - gagging on a hand - no injury is sustained, and little (if any) pain - just discomfort.

and I happen to love cats (dogs are another story), and have never had a “mean-spirited” thought towards one.

you would prefer that a critter be allowed to grow up thinking biting was acceptable?

what about sticking 5mm of protien-based serum sub-q in a kitten the size of your fist? cruel & mean-spirited too?

:confused:

A lot of good responses. I’ve used packing tape, sticky side up on things I don’t want my cats on. You could tape some to the closet or just in front of it (I often taped it to a piece of cardboard- still sticky side up).
I tried one of the commercial repellents, but it had zero effect.

Good luck.

PC

jacksen9 -

it’s called immunization - it hurts like hell, but it is for their health.

Once when I was playing with one of my kittens on the bed she bit me - not quite hard enough to break the skin, but enough that it hurt. I bit her back. Closed my teeth on one ear with just enough pressure that she felt it. She looked at me like WTF? and we resumed playing. But she never bit me again. YMMV

I can second the “cats liking your clothing” theory. I generally just drop my pants on the floor next to the bed at night, and I don’t know how many times I’ve almost stepped on a cat in the morning because he’s curled up on my pants.

This works 100% of the time when my adult cats bite.

When they bite me (which only happens in play), I immediately and loudly, and in a very high-pitched voice, go “MEEEEEEWWW!”, just like a kitten squeaking.

I read once that adult cats will immediately stop playing and freeze when they hear that high-pitched kitten squeak, and with every cat I’ve encountered, no matter how mean, they always release immediately, and seem reluctant to bite again for some time.

Hey, it’s worth a try.

Hee hee hee. A friend of mine decided to do the same trick, but he decided to bite his cat on his orange kitty tummy. Yep, he put his face right in between two sets of claws and caused pain to the cat.

He had slash marks on both cheeks for weeks.