Dehydrated water

I was in an antique store last week. A co-worker is all into the antique thing, and we usually spend lunches together. So I went to antique stores. I chide my co-worker by reminding her that she’s looking through dead people’s things.

Now there are things in antique stores that I find interesting. Old toys and such. On one shelf I saw a can of Bernard Dehydrated Water. Dad had one of these. It’s like a one-pound can of beans with a yellow, red, blue and white label on it. I’d looked for dad’s before he died, and couldn’t find it. It may still be in his things, at my sister’s in San Diego. But here was one right in front of me.

I picked it up to look at the price. Know how much that can of dehydrated water was? It was “not for sale – display only”, that’s how much. Bastards! The only thing I’d seen that I actually would have liked to have bought, and it’s “not for sale – display only”. :mad:

As soon as I got back to the office I did a search on eBay. Whaddya know? There was one listing! But the cans were different. They’re like mixed-nuts cans with a pop-top. Not like the can dad had, or the one at the antique store. Of course I bid $2.00 for it.

Then I had a thought. I wonder id Bernard Food Industries is still in business? Yup. Website and everything. I called, but was defeated by the time difference. I tried again the next day. Yes, they’re still making the cans. Two bucks each. I ordered a few of them because I hate to pay more for postage than for the item itself. Now I was stuck with an eBay bid. Good thing someone else came along and bid two and a quarter.

The cans arrived today. I can’t wait to try this dehydrated water. Sounds like just the thing! The directions are simple, too. just empty the contents of the can into one gallon of water. Stir until dissolved. Chill and serve. And what uses! It can be used in dry-cell batteries, making dry ice, and even as anrifreeze in the old-style VW Beetle!

Pretty mundane and pointless I know; but that’s what this forum is for, eh?
[sub]Yes, I know about the “dehydrated water” pills they sell at health food stores. They’re totally unlike this product.[/sub]

Johny LA –

Hi there fellow pilot, but this is an even sadder story. Regrettably, it’s from my alma mater:

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/020520.Okos.beer.html

Dehydrated water is great. What I usually do is reconstitute it, boil it on the stove, and then freeze it. That way, whenever I need boiling water, I just take it out of the freezer, heat it up and it’s ready.

Is it just me, or is that link dehydrated?

I am being swooshed, right ?!?!?

• I bought some powdered water, but I don’t know what to add.

• I put instant coffee in a microwave oven and almost went back in time.

Steve Wright

Oddly, I can’t find a photo of the can. I’ll have to take one and post it sometime.

It’s always sad to see someone take the eBay route. There is a hidden cache of treasure, including one of those cans of Bernard’s Dehydrated Water in Southern California. A couple of hours on the road and the use of a shovel later, and preferably a GPS, and you could have unearthed one for yourself. Just be sure to leave some other nick-nack in it’s place. Got any White Elephant candidates laying around? They’d be perfect.

I really just wanted to promote the site, it’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen on the web.

Enjoy,
Steven

That does sound like fun. I’ve never heard of geocaching before.

I’ve also never heard of Bernard’s Dehydrated Water.

It’s great fun. Check out www.geocaching.com, there are probably several caches in your area. They have a pretty active message board also.

That link should be http://www.geocaching.com/ An accidental extra . at the end of the address Joey G gave. :slight_smile:

Enjoy,
Steven

Already bookmarked it. Thanks, and there are several nearby.

Dehydrated water? Did they also have inflatable dartboards and solar-powered flashlights?

I’m so glad I opened this thread! I called hubby and he is down with the whole geocaching thing!

Anyone care to recommend a GPS unit? I see that geocaching.com says one can’t go wrong with a Garmin or a Magellan unit. I’m leaning towards the Magellan because, well, I like the name Magellan. The Garmin one is yellow, though…

I wish they made one for my Blackberry.

DO NOT MOCK!

Okay, here is a photo of the can.

:smiley:

Couldn’t a solar-powered flashlight just be seen as a sort of School Zone for photons, where they have to slow down for a while before resuming normal speed?

That’s cool.

Okay, I’ve posted the Dehydrated Water pic. Where’s the photo of a jackelope? :smiley:

Jackalope

That’s a pretty puny jackalope. Where I lived in Lancaster, CA, jackalopes were big enough to throw a saddle on and ride! :wink: