Old 11-17-2002, 12:45 PM

The Official and Totally Embarrassing "Roadhouse" Appreciation Thread

For some inexplicable reason, I am watching "Roadhouse" starring Patrick Swayze on TBS for the seventh time. This is such a bad movie, but why do I watch it over and over again?

Some possibilities:

-The fight scenes are really, really well done

-Ben Gazarra is a great villian, and that Jimmy Lee dude is actually very scary on screen

-My favorite pro wrestler of all time, Terry Funk is in it

-Hot chicks with great 80s hair

-The Jeff Healey Band

-Sam Elliot is in it

So despite the fact that yiou are asked to believe that there is a mountainous desert in Missouri; get past Patrick Swayze removing a knife from the same guy twice; that Wesley's nephew's nose is already bleeding before Swayze hits the first time (office fight scene); that you are asked to buy into Patrick Swayze, at 4'9" and 110 pounds , being a bouncer; and that someone with a PhD in Philospohy would end up as a bouncer.. . .

I can't stop watching this train wreck! I guess what Roadhouse is is a 2 hour excuse to turn off your brain!
Old 11-17-2002, 12:54 PM

You're lost!
I dunno though, sometimes I'll eat some candy or something until I'm sick. Maybe you need to see this thing in the same light...
Old 11-17-2002, 01:10 PM

I think he's 5'10" (still pretty tiny for bouncer). Geez he's 50 years old now!

Quote:
Name: Patrick Swayze
Birth Name: Patrick Wayne Swayze
Height: 5' 10''"
Sex: M
Nationality: American
Date: August 18, 1952
Birth Place: Houston, Texas
Education: Harkness Ballet School
Joffrey Ballet School
San Jacinto College
Husband/Wife: Lisa Niemi (dancer, actress; married in 1975)
Father: Jesse Swayze (engineering draftsman;died: 1982)
Mother: Patsy Swayze (choreographer, dancer)
Sister: Vicky Swayze (died: 1994), Bambi Swayze
Brother: Don Swayze (actor;born: 1958), Sean Swayze
Claim to fame: as Johnny Castle in Dirty Dancing (1987)
http://www.celebritywonder.com/html/patrickswayze.html
Old 11-17-2002, 01:12 PM

I saw the film in the theater when it was first released. An if I'm surfing and it's on, I'll always watch for a while. There was a thread a few weeks back that asked what are your bad movies you love. I forgot this one at the time. I'm not sure how.

And speaking of fun possibilities/reasons for it's appeal. How about Gararra's "safari room." Looks like he went hunting at the zoo.

Swayze was in another great guilty pleasure film of mine too. If you haven't seen "Point Break" check it out. Keanu Reeves costars.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:22 PM

I would be shocked if Swayze really is 5'10 as that site claims(though he's certainly not 4'10 either). I think his PR people have done a good job of hiding his height, just as Tom Cruise, Matt Damon, etc. have done. I mean, have you ever seen Swayze stand next to other celebs? He's very short.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

My wife watches this movie whenever it's on. I've never seen it. Well, I've seen 36,541 bits and pieces of it, which may equal the whole thing. Or not. I never know whether I'm walking through the beginning, middle or end: they all seem alike to me.

I do have less trouble believing that a trained martial arts expert can act as a bouncer than that a Ph. D. in philosophy would work as one.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:46 PM

Obligatory Jabootu review of Road House. Read it along with the movie, it improves the experience.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevja
Swayze was in another great guilty pleasure film of mine too. If you haven't seen "Point Break" check it out. Keanu Reeves costars.
Swayze is great in "Point Break". I've seen it several times. Swayze is actually one my favorite actors, sans "Dirty Dancing" and the career killing cross dressing movie.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:36 PM

But he was pretty in To Wong Fu!

I love Road House. It's more violent than what I usually watch but I like Swayze and I love Sam Elliot.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey Cheatem Undhow
Obligatory Jabootu review of Road House. Read it along with the movie, it improves the experience.
I'm reading it now, it's hilarious. Best line so far:

Meanwhile, Blindy the Wonder Cripple returns to the stage and Patrick settles in to watch, his Mullet flayed out like the crest of a tropical bird.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:54 PM

Yeah, I was just talking about this today. It's such a bad movie, but I'll watch it when it's on. Every damn time.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

I should be ashamed to say this, but my wife was pregnant around the time of this movie's release. If my daughter had been a son, his name would have been Dalton!

Aggg!!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 06:21 PM

It's so nice to see everyone getting into the Patrick Swayze Christmas spirit this year!

::singing::
We'll gather at the Roadhouse with our next of kin...
Old 11-17-2002, 08:32 PM
BANNED

Vinnie & Expano,

Sorry, but he never saus that he has a PHD in Philosphy. He has a degree in Philosphy from NYU.

There's a big difference.

And does anyone besides me wonder where the F*** the police dpeartment in that town is?

Christ, they make Chief Wiggum look like Elliot Ness!!
Old 11-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Hey, don't look at me. I told you I never saw the whole thing.

Blame Vinnie. (I bet he's Canadian!)
Old 11-17-2002, 09:05 PM

I love Road House!!! I used to watch with my Dad. Hmmmm, I never really thought about it before, but maybe my dad shouldn't have let me watch a movie with sex and violence like tht. Oh well, I still love it and watch it when I get the chance.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:26 PM

:mutters:

The Double Douche.

Old 11-17-2002, 09:35 PM

"She has entirely too many brains to have an ass like that!"

Only Sam Elliot could deliver a line like that.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:37 PM

Count me in as another one who thinks it is a terrible movie, but just can't resist watching it. Over and over and over. I think it is because of Sam Elliot. The man is just too freakin cool no matter what he is in. Something about that POS movie draws me in every time I see it on TV.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Maybe his character is like Josiah Thompson the philosophy professor at Yale and Harvard who decided to become a San Francisco private eye. He wrote a book about it - Gumshoe: Reflections in a Private Eye.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by AudreyK
:mutters:

The Double Douche.

Damn you! I wanted to say it!

I'll give me second favorite line:

"You're going to be my regular Saturday night thing."
Old 11-17-2002, 10:40 PM

I'll watch ANYthing with Sam Elliot.

Please pardon me while I wipe the drool off my chin......
Old 11-18-2002, 01:18 PM

Wooo-hooo! It is about time for this thread!

Actually, I think the movie sucks but alot of it was filmed (the downtown and the scenes around the river) in my hometown. A friend and I were driving through town one night when we noticed that all of the streets downtown were blocked off and there were quite a few people standing around. Naturally, we stopped to investigate (but didn't split up to look for clues). And, there he was, in all of his glory, Mr. Patrick Swayze. It was pretty cool considering how it is a really small town whose only claim to fame is that it is "The World's Fruitbasket" (I think that the claim is based on the amount of fresh fruit shipped out of town every year).

Anyways, we used to have this old drive-in theater on the outside of town that all of the underage youths would go drinking. They played Roadhouse when it came out and, of course, we all went to go see it. You should have heard the drunken roar when they showed the downtown!
Old 11-18-2002, 01:39 PM

I may have shared this story on this board already, but it must be repeated here.

In high school I worked in a movie theater in a small town in East/Middle Tennessee. Roadhouse was a huge hit, and stayed at my theater for a couple months. It just so happens that the projector was acting up around this time. The recieving platter was just a little too fast, so it would tug on the film and cause it to break. So it was my job to sit up in the projection booth and make sure the film had enough slack to keep from breaking by lightly touching the recieveing platter to slow it down when the film started to get too tight. I saw Roadhouse twice a night, three times on weekends, for two straight weeks. God, I hate that movie!
Old 11-18-2002, 02:30 PM
BANNED

Without a doubt, the absolute best thing about Road House is Julie Michaels, the hottest stunt woman ever. Who should be in many more featured roles.

Old 11-18-2002, 02:40 PM

I kept watching because I wanted to see them sweep up the eyeballs after closing time. But alas, it was just a metaphor after all. Or a simile, whatever. I loved the flick, anyway...Timmy
Old 11-18-2002, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WSLer
he never saus that he has a PHD in Philosphy. He has a degree in Philosphy from NYU.
That does make a difference -- I have a degree in philosophy (Ivy League, yet!) and it sisn't keep me from working at Kinko's for a year.

--Cliffy
Old 11-18-2002, 03:43 PM

I qualify this movie as a guilty pleasure. As a man who subscribes to Maxim, I know I shouldn't like any Patrick Swayze movie, but I can't help but like this moive.

Favorite line, given by the heavy set guy when confronted by the police at the end of the movie on what he saw, given in a groggy southern twang:
"Polar Bear fell on me"

Makes me laugh every time.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:45 PM

Best two lines in the movie:

"I used to fuck guys like you in prison."

and after Sam Elliot destroys one of Brad Wesley's goon's knees, as he is lying on the ground writhing in pain, he leans over, pushes his hair out of his eyes, smiles and says :"Man, that hurts, doesn't it?"

Also add Terry Funk to Sam Elliot:

"Stay out of this . . DAD!!!!!!"

Do I watch this movie too much?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TomWaits4You
Damn you! I wanted to say it!

I'll give me second favorite line:

"You're going to be my regular Saturday night thing."
Cassanova - "I'm on my break!"

Swayze - "Stay on it."

LOL
Old 11-19-2002, 05:33 PM

Okay, okay one more; Patrick Swayze is telling his bouncers to be polite with the customers, even when they are giving them a hard time.

Bouncer: "What if they call my mother a whore?"

Swayze: "Is she?"
Old 11-19-2002, 05:46 PM

"This place is so bad, they have signs above the urinals that say 'Don't eat the big white mint.'"
Old 11-19-2002, 11:01 PM

I agree that Roadhouse is a guilty pleasure, but, as much as I love Sam Elliot and respect his abilities as an actor, this is my favorite role of his.

I love the look he sports, his attitude and his role as the modern equivilent of the aging gunfighter. Roadhouse is a mediocre Western, but the fact that it's an 80's pop culture study makes it fun.