Criss Angel: Mind Freak

I had never seen this magician until I caught his special saturday night on ABC. (Which I believe originally aired in October) It was a very cool performance, and I would like to see him live.

However, it did raise a few questions:

1. Apparently he was underwater for over 24 hours, in an attempt to break a world record:

a)What effect would this have on a human body?
b)Wouldn’t the skin absorb enough water to over-hydrate?
c)Why did the water become cloudy?

1. During a David Blaine type sequence, Angel took to the streets of NYC, and amazed crowds by doing card tricks, illusions, etc.

During one illusion, he was surrounded by a large crowd of people on a concrete sidewalk, and covered by a trashcan. (Which was held down by several people) After a moment or two, the trash can was lifted, Angel was gone, and then re-appeared on a rooftop over the audience.

Anyone have a clue as to how this was done? Usually I don’t try to figure out illusions, but this one has me interested.

Almost all magic tricks done for a camera rely on the camera for the trick. Its not so much magic, moreso stopping and starting the camera, and paying some “witnesses” to make faces of suprise to the camera when the guy disappears. :slight_smile:

As for the guy underwater, i wouldn’t know enough to answer that…

I didn’t see the show you describe, but the real danger form being in water for 24 hours (other than drowning or something like that; I assume your magician somehow had an air supply) would be hypothermia. If the water temprature is such that it is more than a touch cooler than the body in it, the body’s temprature will drop to fatally low levels. How fast depends on water temp, whether or not (and how) the body is clothed, etc.

As to the skin over-hydrating, remember that you yourself were in a water solution for about nine months. And yet you survived long enough to post to the SDMB.

Overall, remember that magicians arent also known as “illusionists” for nothing.