What should I wear to my legal mediation?

I have been involved in a lawsuit due to an automobile accident that resulted in my being injured. My first mediation is Friday, and I would like to dress correctly.
I don’t want to look too business woman like. I would like to portray honesty and innocence but I don’t want to look like a dumb kid.
Any suggestions?

Automobile accident? I would wear a neckbrace, IMHO (hint, hint).

I am a lawyer, but you should consider this fashion advice, not legal advice (and if you take free fashion advice from me, you get what you pay for).

I’m not sure why you don’t want to look too business woman-like. My advice would be to go in conservative business attire. It will show credibility and respect for the proceeding and the mediator. At the very least, I would show up in NICE business casual.

I would say that being in business attire will help you seem honest and innocent, or at least not a flake. I always wonder about those who show up at legal proceedings looking like a slob.

Good luck.

Heh. I was gonna suggest a cast. :wink:

Welcome to the boards, teneisha. Since this is a question soliciting opinions as opposed to one with a definitive factual answer, I’m going to move it to our forum In My Humble Opinion.

Good luck with your mediation.

For attorneys, business suits only. For everyone else, just about anything goes. The most important part is to dress comfortably. Business casual is always safe.

Any suggestions for a color? I was thinking white because it sybolises purity and innocence. Or mabey blue or light brown…?

Purity and innocence? Uh yeah. laughs

no… but really. Color Phychology is real. You may not realise it, but colors affect how you feel.

Mediate in red, you’ll wish you were dead.

Mediate in green, you’re ashamed to be seen.

Mediate in blue, you know he’ll be true.

…Good luck, Jenny Jenkins.

How you feel really isn’t important. It’s the image you project.

I’d wear a nice dress or pantsuit. It really isn’t necessary to wear a full business suit, but it is important to dress nicely. It’s better to go with what looks best on you, as opposed to “color psychology”.

I’d go to a nice business-attire boutique like Talbots and ask for an opinion from someone who can see you and what you would look best in.

Robin

Ok, serious answer: I think it’s important that you don’t seem that your attempting to “project an image,” because that will end up belying the image itself. If your not comfortable in the clothes that your wearing (ie wearing high heeled shoes that you can’t walk in) then your defeating the purpose. Good Luck.

It’s all about image and how you feel. Be indectructible and wear whatever it takes to be that.

I’ve read that blue (esp. navy) is associated with traits like honesty, level-headedness, etc. You can’t go wrong with basic black or any neutral. They also project respectability. You need to wear something you’re comfortable in (mentally and physically) and try to look like you belong with your lawyer - if that makes any sense. If your clothes blend in people will pay attention to you not the outfit. Don’t worry about looking too nice (and therefore not in need of $$). Looking respectable has nothing to do with looking rich or poor.

thanks everybody.

I guess pasties and a thong would not be considered “tasteful”

*sorry, just trying to lighten up your worries.:smiley:

Oh my dear, oh my dear. . .

A gray skirt with a white blouse, gray shoes & a brown briefcase. You hair pinned up in back & a small amount of jewelry like ear rings.

Tiger striped jacket and pink heels, with a poodle.