Don't be such a Jerk, Ukulele Ike

What a sneering, snide, little prick. I stated that I have no intention of allowing animated Disney movies or related merchandise in my house, at least partially based on their portrayal of mothers in a thread about Disney’s treatment of mothers. What a narrowminded asshole to take such a narrow declaration and expand it, use it to make fun of me and all expectant parents. Oh, and don’t bother to make fun of what I am actually doing, no, take it completely off topic and expand it to diet as well as all modern culture. Fuck you. This is being a Jerk. At least you could do is keep to the subject thread and say that keeping Disney out is unpractical.

How is it that raising a child without animated Disney movies or related merchandise is beyond thinking? At least one other doper has managed it for 6 years so far. I am not planning to eliminate all other animation, nor am I elimintating all tie-in merchandise. Just Disney. I hate them, I hate their purchased legislation, and I hate their animation, and I hate the resulting degradation of tastes. They seem to encourage the craving of pap by the American public. I will not let them shape my child’s tastes. I will block the Disney channel as well.

This Christmas I asked for books that those giving me gifts liked as a child. I made it clear that I did not care if they thought that they would appeal to me, just that they not be Disney. I have several books now that I would never have purchased on my own that will be added to our library for our child. I don’t want to control what my child likes, I just don’t want Disney to be a factor in it at all.

If anyone starts giving Disney as gifts to my child, I will stop trusting them and I will from then on intercept their gifts to check for appropriatness. The grandparents have been so warned.

If when my child is old enough to save their own money, they wish to purchase it on their own, so be it. But I imagine they will not want it in my sight because I will bitch about Disney to them as well.

Yowch. I think you might be reading a lot into what was intended as a harmless, non-offensive joke.

Why did you simply explode in this shitstorm of vituperation at a fairly mild (and generally accurate in most cases) humorous observation of the difference between soon to parental intentions and how things pan out in real life. Do you really think that his mildly snarky aside was intended to crush your vaulting spirit and degrade your parenting skills.

He. was. making. a. little. joke. For the love of God get over yourself.

This deserved its own thread why?

Jeepers, that whoosh knocked me clean off my computer chair all the way down here in Decatur.

It was a gentle twitting, lee. It wasn’t snide, it wasn’t sneering, and it wasn’t prickish. I’m sort of baffled as to why you’re taking offense. Unless I’m being whooshed, and you’ve decided a guns-a-blazin’ attack would be more fun than witty repartee? In that case, I think you iverdid it a tad.

I had parents like that in my old medical practice. I’m glad I work in a prison now.

So, will your kids get root beer or not?

Impact v. intent. Everyone or nobody.

Jesus, lee. Lighten up. It was a throwaway attempt at humor.

I loathe Barney with a passion. I can’t stand the show, and I swore that Aaron would never own anything associated with it. Yet one of his favorite toys is a small BJ doll that his grandma gave him. I would no sooner take that away from him than I would cut out his tongue. He loves it, it keeps him calm and busy, and most importantly, he loves it. I also use Luvs wipes, which use Barney as its design, because they’re the best wipes I’ve found that don’t give him or exacerbate diaper rash.

Whatever your feelings for Disney may be, it’s no reason to go off on an innocent joke.

Robin

You’ll also have to make sure that none of your young’un’s friends ever watch The Little Mermaid or 101 Dalmations when he or she is playing at their house.

Tell any daycare provider that they are prohibited from exhibiting Disney paraphernalia or movies while your kid is on the premises.

Keep your finger on the remote in order to quickly change channels when Disneyworld commercials come on.

Don’t let your kid see the end of any major sporting events, either.

Recommendation: Find something else to get your knickers in a twist about, say, the detruction of the habitat of the Lesser Northwestern Spotted Ferret Bat.

Probably a full 50% of school excursions my kids went on during the infant years of primary school involved a Disney event of some kind - either a movie or “Disney on Ice” or similar.

Far and away the vast majority of the toys which come in fast food outlets children’s meals here are also related to Disney merchandising.

You can certainly control what comes into you house. Equally, you cannot expect the rest of the world to indulge your whim each time your offspring ventures outside your front door.

How DARE you trivialize the habitat destruction of the Lesser Northwestern Spotted Fettet Bat?! The Greater Northwestern Spotted Ferret Bat is already extinct in most of its range, and the Lesser Northwestern Spotted Ferret Bat is going to join them unless we do something. My G-d! You sneering, snide little prick!

<d&r>

A WHAT doll??? Yeah, I think that might keep ME calm and busy too…

Wow.

Better warn the neighbors…the day care/babysitter…pre school…early grade school teachers…anyone who might accidentally give a Disney related gift not meeting your standards.

I’m sure that they will be careful so as to avoid your “checks for appropriateness”.

Poor kid.

:rolleyes:

Lee:

Ummmm. You do know that Ukulele Ike is a Disney character, don’t you?

He was both “Jim Crow” in Dumbo singing the “Elephant fly” song, IIRC, as well as “When you wish upon star,” in Pinochio.

Yeah, how could how could you be angry at Ukulele Ike

You obviously have many more issues than moms vs no moms in Disney. Why the bug up your ass? Religious belief? Think that Disney caters to gays?

Yes, Biggirl, my child will get rootbeer, if she wants it. Cookies too, as well as more nutritious foods.

If it were anyone else, I would have reported the post to a moderator and that would be all, but for a moderator to take a thread off topic to make a petty jibe pisses me off.

Rysdad, What daycare provider? We care enough and fortunately have the resources that our child will be cared for by a parent not a group of strangers. Major sporting events are not normally shown in our house. Just because they will know Disney exists, is no reason for them to participate in it while in my care. Do you make fun of all parental strictures or just mine? I am sure plenty of Jewish kids see bacon cheeseburgers in commercials, and their parents feel no need to feed their kids bacon cheeseburgers for dinner. I see no difference.

Perhaps I would not have felt the need to rant so harshly if so many jackasses had not been so nasty to me whenever the Disney stricture is mentioned. Some made the point that they would just have to give the kid all the Disney movies, and that is when the gift stricture was formed. It amazes me that so many get their “knickers in a twist” about me not exposing my child to Disney in my house.

Yay!

If OT jokes piss you off this much, it’s a wonder you’ve lasted this long here.

I don’t know about Rysdad, but for me the answer is “just yours.”

You were that kid backstage when Mickey took his head off, weren’t you.