FFX quick qeustion. Yojimbo. Worth the cash or no?

I went to a cave and found an Aeon named Yojimbo. He costs like 200K or so, but he didn’t impress me at all when I took him down. I only have $208K to my name.

Is this a good aeon to have if I am not looking to max this game out? I am at the point now where I just want to beat the damn thing so I can start on FF9. Too much slow paced dialog in this game.

Also, should Auron be so much more powerful than Tidus. He does like double the dmg that Tidus typically does.

If you aren’t looking to max out the game, skip him. You have to pay him every time you use him. He has one move that you basically save your game, pay him a ton of money and watch, say “Wow,” and then reset the game.

I think Auron was my most powerful character for most of the game. It’s not unusual.

You have to pay this guy every time you use him? Even after you buy him? How much money does it cost to use him? We talking thousands per attack? That is lameo!

Hey, just noticed. I spent my 1000th post on this Yojimbo guy.

If you want Yuna’s Legendary Weapon, get him. You need to fight another summoner’s version of him (plus all the others) to get the Venus Sigil. That’s worth hiring him just for that. I never bother to use him in battle anyways.

Technically, you can pay him 1 gil durring battle. But if you want the decent attacks, you really need to bribe him. Personally, I think that’s money better spent bribing Chimera Brains for Level 4 Key Spheres.

Geshtal is right. Basically, the more you pay him, the more likely you are to get one of the more powerful of his four attacks. The first three are pretty boring, the fourth one decapitates the monster killing it instantly (similar to what Odin did in FF8 IIRC). It is extremely rare, but fun to watch.

If you aren’t looking to max out the game, you probably won’t care about getting the Venus Sigil.

Personally, I never used Yojimbo. Anima wiped through those monsters pretty fast, after getting Yuna’s Ultimate Weapon (yay Damage Limit Break).

LilShieste

The only advantage Yojimbo has it that his evade is ridiculously high, which makes him more or less invulnerable to some of the bosses in the monster arena. Anima’s evade is pretty low, so she can still get killed by them. And as Yuna gets stronger, Yojimbo’s weaker attacks will become very strong. If you’re just looking to finish the game, then he’s probably not essential. But for 100%, you need him.

He’s worth it, but only if you understand him.

Start him with very little money and always give him more every time you use him. It builds a relationship with him that, when built high enough, makes him very powerful.

By the way, the final battle of FFX is the best final battle of any FF, except for perhaps FFVI.

Yojimbo’s strength is tied only to Yuna’s stats, not how much money you give him. The money just determines what attack he’ll use.

For an anal-retentive and dementedly accurate rendition of Yojimbo’s motivation and payoffs, check this article form Gamefaqs

To put it simply, pay him gobs of cash when every you can afford it, and try not to let him die or dismiss him without paying him.