Dr. Pepper

we all know the cola flavor comes mainly from a plant (kola beans, i think?); but where does the “dr. pepper” flavor come from?

The Master’s Minion speaks.

Thanks pravnik for posting that link and getting the Straight Dope on Dr Pepper out. I swear if hear “prunes” one more time (sits in corner, knowing somebody will post “prunes!”) I’ll, I’ll, I’ll probabaly not do much but :rolleyes: and keep on drinking Dr Pepper. The only soft drink Duke drinks.

I like my Dr. Pepper’s in the form of a Beer with a shot of Amaretto dropped in… :wink:

It’s clearly an amaretto flavor (I consume gallons of the stuff). Hence, probably comes from almonds or cherries (similar flavor–which is whay so many people say that DrP and Cherry Coke taste identical).

cecil’s article just said it doesn’t contain anything related to cherries.

And artificial cherry flavor does not, indeed, have anything to do with cherries. IIRC, what most people consider to be a “cherry” flavor is actually derived from pomegranets.

But while we’re on the subject, what’s the general term for a Dr Pepper-type soft drink? Coke, Pepsi, and RC are colas. Sprite and 7up are lemon-lime drinks. A&W and Barq’s are root beers. But what are Dr Pepper, Mr Pibb, and the various generic imitations?

Actually, colas don’t have much kola.

“[M]ost consumers will be disappointed to know that very little of this exotic nut is found in today’s cola drinks. In fact, what is generally perceived as cola flavor is really a mixture of vanilla, caramel, and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.”

From this site.

Does anyone else get a sense of euphoria after drinking Dr Pepper? No other soda does this for me…

What I want to know is who came up with the idea to put phosphoric acid in soft drinks?

umm… what IS phosphoric acid?

Well, for one thing, RUST REMOVER!!! :eek:

Phosphoric acid = H3PO4

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v38aje10.htm

PHOSPHORIC ACID

CHEMICAL NAMES        Phosphoric acid; orthophosphoric acid

EMPIRICAL FORMULA     H3PO4

MOLECULAR WEIGHT      98.0

DEFINITION            Phosphoric acid contains not less than 85% of
                          H3PO4

DESCRIPTION           Clear, colourless, odourless liquid of syrupy
                          consistency.  Miscible with water and ethanol.

NATURAL OCCURRENCE    Phosphorus-containing substances occur very
                          widely in natural foods usually as free
                          phosphoric acid or as the potassium, sodium or
                          calcium salts.  Phosphate is found in highest
                          concentrations (0.1-0.5% or more, in terms of
                          phosphorus) in such foods as milk, cheese,
                          nuts, fish, meat, poultry, eggs (yolk), and
                          certain cereals.

USE                   As a sequestrant, an antioxidant and a
                          "synergist" for other antioxidants; also as an
                          acidulant and flavour in beverages and fruit
                          products.

Biological Data

Biochemical aspects

Phosphoric acid is an essential constituent of the human organism, not
    only in the bones and teeth, but also in many enzyme systems.
    Phosphorus plays an important role in carbohydrate, fat and protein
    metabolism.

The daily intake of phosphate necessary for man lies between 1 and 
    2 g.  Insufficient supply of phosphate produces deficiency in the
    bones. Since the phosphate concentration of serum and tissues is
    maintained by physiological regulations, the intestinal absorption
    depends on requirements and is therefore limited.  Doses of 2 to 4 g
    act as weak saline cathartics.  Excretion takes place mainly in the
    faeces as calcium phosphate, so that the continuous use of excessive
    amounts of sodium phosphate and phosphoric acid may cause a loss of
    calcium.

Couldn’t someone take it to a chem lab and have it analysed?

Ah Dr. Pepper, so misunderstood…

Just released, available on Amazon.com, the autobiography you’ve all been waiting for:

They Call Me MISTER Pepper!

Yes, the famous soft drink Dr Pepper (note the lack of a period; he’s male!) has scribed a sure-to-be-legendary story of greed, lust, and the misuse of honorifics. Engrossing and challenging, MISTER Pepper is (pardon the expression) peppered with anecdotes that take the reader behind the sometimes seedy world of nonalcoholic beverages.

The New York Times Book Review called it “zesty… and full of carbonation!” and Booklist has named it as one of its Top 10 Books about Drinks. A must-read.

I notice this as well. While at work I occasionally sip on a Dr Pepper during break and when I return to my slave job I feel a new sence of well being and happiness for my mundain life. Thank you Dr Pepper for making me feel as if I’m a character in a political tragedy novel. (1984, This Perfect Day, Brave New World, Dale from King of the Hill, etc…)

From Cecil’s column:

Gah. Geesh. Ick. Bleh. How do people learn things like that? “Hmm, I’m bored today. I think I’ll take a mouthful of Dr Pepper and see how the flavor changes over, say, ten minutes.”

Anybody remember the Dr Pepper ads where the wanted you to drink it hot?? Anybody ever actually try it??